My sister and I had been staying at the Hilton Head Crowne Plaza, but decided to treat ourselves to a couple days at the Disney Resort for the last part of our trip. The price was a little daunting. Only later did I discover that the room rates become incredibly affordable as long as you aren’t there during the month of July. So I kicked myself a bit for that, but I still enjoyed our stay tremendously.
When we first arrived I was taken back a bit by the small and intimate feel of the check-in lobby. Not like the huge rooms and long, long counters of the Disney resorts in Orlando. We were early, but our room was already ready for us. We got the basic suite, which was more than large enough to suit our needs. Immediately upon entering you are in the kitchen—perhaps not the ideal location for a kitchen, but we never used it anyway. The room also had a washer and dryer, a large bathroom, queen bed, sofa bed, table and chairs, and a balcony with a rocking chair. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and very pleasant. The rooms are situated in many small buildings, connected by windy little baths or wooden plank boardwalks. Scattered throughout the grounds are dozens of hammocks, sandboxes, little gardens, benches, and playgrounds. I don’t know how many people were staying at the hotel when we were there, but it always felt very quiet and very empty. What we found especially endearing was the abundant wildlife in the resort. Bunnies were hopping around every time we turned around, while birds of all sizes swooped through the trees.
The hotel’s amenities were a little different than I expected, but were still very nice. The resort is located on a marshy island (not by the beach). Most of the activities are located in the center of the island: a large pool with a slide, hot tub, children’s clubhouse, game room and free movies for lend, evening camp fires, bike and fishing pole rental, and a pier jutting out into the marsh. The pier is a great place to watch the birds and little crabs that live and feed there. If you want to go to the ocean, there is a shuttle bus that takes you to the Beach House. This posh clubhouse has private access to the ocean, a large swimming pool, several children’s play areas, a sitting room with games and movies, and a small counter-service restaurant. It’s not quite as convenient as having the beach right next to the hotel, but the set up worked well for us, and I enjoyed the different atmosphere at the resort.
The one thing they need to improve at the hotel is the dining. There are no table-service restaurants at the resort. There is one place to get food, a counter above the clubhouse called Tide Me Over. The fare is pretty basic—burgers, grilled cheese, fries. There are many restaurants within an easy walking distance. The ones we tried were good, but not phenomenal, which was disappointing, considering how expensive they were.
Overall, we were extremely pleased with the Disney Hilton Head Resort. The service was excellent, the room was very comfortable, and the atmosphere was just as clean, peaceful, and quiet as we’d hoped.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort is located on the picturesque coast of South Carolina, 5 hours from Walt Disney World Resort. This warm home-away-from-home-fashioned after a 1940's hunting and fishing lodge-combines local charm with simple pleasures and outdoor fun for the entire family. The resort features multi-roomed villas and many recreational activities, including 12 miles of heavenly beaches famous for clear blue waters. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Hilton Head Island Hotel Hilton Head
- Disney Hilton Head Resort
- Disney Hilton Head Island Resort
- Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort
- Disneys Hilton Head Resort