“A peaceful location”

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is my 2nd stay at Disney's Hilton Head resort during September (funny that I had the same studio room 2 times in a row). The weather is still warm enough to head to the beach, but cool enough so you aren't sweating like a pig. This resort is not beach front but has a marsh and marina view. The bus (all of 5 minutes) to the "beach house" runs daily from 10A - 5P and later during special events. For me, the bus is very convenient, I hitch a ride to the beach and load up when I'm ready to leave. The beach house as fast food options, a pool, chairs, and ping pong tables. I was very satisfied with my studio villa with small fridge, a microwave and counter space. I had a queen size bed and a pull out sofa. Marsh view. My room was ready early, yay for me! The only problem for me was the dust on the ceiling from the air vent. A very quiet place, I don't think I heard any people in my villa the entire weekend. The pool is full of kids, so if you want peace and quiet, request a room far from the pool area. Will return, most likely next September.

Room Tip: Villas 11 & 12 are the only handicap accessible villas (I think). Villas by the pool are very no...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Spent a long weekend here. I must say, this place is becoming one of my favorite places to visit. It is very light on the Disney theme. We are DVC members and love Disney so we would be ok with a bit more. We had a two bedroom villa in building 27. We were on the first floor, since we have young kids. This is a great location. Very close to the pool, store, and quick service restaurant. I think this is the perfect spot. Peaceful view of the marsh, and pool a few steps from the front door. Never heard any noise from pool. The staff here is top notch. When we booked we told them we would be celebrating our son's 5th birthday. When we got into our room after check in, there were a bunch of Disney balloons and a card wishing him a happy birthday. There was a message for him on the phone from Mickey and Minnie, and his name popped up on the digital screen at the pool wishing him a happy birthday, as well as the resort channel on the tv. It made him feel very special. The crowds were pretty light however more than I was expecting considering school had already started back. There are so many activities set up at the resort for kids. Some for a cost but plenty for free. The kids enjoyed the campfire, and movie under the stars the most.

The two bedroom villas are huge. They sleep 8. We loved the nice deck with picnic table and rocking chairs over the marsh. The beds are comfy to us. I would say the mattresses are firm. So if you prefer the softer fluffy mattress you may be disappointed. Free wifi at the hotel. The resort had a decent size pool for small to medium crowds. I feel it would be tight with large crowds in mid summer.

The private beach house for resort guests has another pool. Go first thing in the morning and you will have pool to yourself. We had it to ourselves for about two hours. They open at 0800. The beach was very nice but for some reason there was a ton of ants out there which we found strange. There is another quick service restaurant option here. Now serving Dole Whip ice cream.

Overall this was a near perfect stay. My very minor complaint is the couch in the living room of the villa. It is extremely uncomfortable for lounging and just trying to watch tv. Hard to describe. Time to invest in some comfy couches. Other than that, outstanding. Can't wait for next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank MJ525
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Been wanting to stay at this resort for some time. Nephew graduating from Parris Island gave us the opportunity. Having never been to Hilton Head this resort allowed us to visit with the knowledge we would have Disney treatment. And we were not disappointed. Had the two bedroom in building 13 overlooking the marsh. Peaceful, lovely, beautiful! Room was clean, staff friendly and informative. Property had plenty of hammocks, chairs, grills. Walkable, runnable, bikable, your choice. Beach house offered nice amenities. You can enjoy the beach with the knowledge that you know you have facilities, food and parking. Although we rented bikes and enjoyed the island.

Room Tip: All views are good. Island view overlooks the marina. Marsh view is the most peaceful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is our third trip to Disney's Hilton Head Resort and it just gets beeter each trip. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The views will relax and decompress anyone who needs to relax. This is a first class resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of broad creek.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank QuakerMon
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We are DVC owners however this trip we stayed with RCI points. We had a two bedroom unit in building #14 which was facing the marsh. It was nice and quiet, away from the pool, however it was next to the maintenance area and a little noisy during the day when we were out on the deck.

The room was great though the TVs were quite small. They also did not offer HBO or premium channels. However we rarely watched TV since we rented bikes for the week and we t kayaking and into Bluffton for the Farmer's Market

We were surprised at the limited activities. However it was actually nice and laid back since there were only adults in our party. There are great areas to relax and free Disney movie rentals nightly available. Also campfires and fishing off the pier were nice activities as was searching for Shadow during our stay.

I'd highly recommend this resort for those who like biking, kayaking, and ocean swimming. There are also many other options available and day trips to Savannah and Charleston are worth the trips.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank CarrieMI2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Spacious and clean villa in a truly lowcountry atmosphere. Location was great, nearby to restaurants, shopping places and Disney beach house. Activities were also good esp.the golf lesson with a pro. Prices were reasonable- food and activity fees. Best of all, not a lot of Disney characters in the property. Kids loved Shadow, live mascot of Disney HH.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, request to be on second floor and away from pool.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Asparafans
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We are DVC members and this is our 4th stay at a Disney property as members and our first to Hilton Head. I was pleasantly surprised that this property is not overly commercialized, and aside from the character bingo you play daily in the hotel lobby, your exposure to all things Disney is surprisingly limited. That being said, this property still maintains the level of service you come to expect from Disney. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and calls for assistance are answered promptly.

We stayed in a two bedroom villa, and we were disappointed that our first room assignment was far from the pool and had a view of a common picnic area. A call to the front desk resolved our issue and were reassigned a room near the pool overlooking the marsh. I would definitely request a marsh view when checking in, and if you have small children who will be using the pool frequently, ask to be placed near the pool.

The layout of the two bedroom villa in Hilton Head is different from other two bedrooms we've stayed at with Disney. The master bath is a jack and jill type with a door opening to the common space. This eliminates a third full bath we've grown accustom to and could have used on this beach vacation as we brought my in-laws with us and had given them the master room. To respect their space we didn't 'share' their bathroom leaving 4 of us to use a standard, though spacious, bathroom in the second bedroom. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you have 6 people needing to shower after a trip to the beach.

The first villa we were assigned was also in much better shape than the villa by the pool. I assume it's less than desirable location means it sees less visitors, but I was still disappointed with the shabbiness of our final room. It was definitely showing it's age and is in need of a refresh.

I thought the beach being separate from the hotel was going to be a big deal, but actually it worked out better for us and I think we spent more time enjoying the beach as a result. The beach house with private parking really made going to the beach hassle free, which is saying a lot when travelling with a 7 and a 4 year old.

The resort had many activities going on. Try to hit the campfire at least once, and sign up early to make the mickey tie-dye t-shirts. The kids had fun making the shirts and were left with a nice souvenir.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with small children, ask to be placed by the pool where all of the activities...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family