My friends and I stayed at Disney's Hilton Head resort on our way back north from our Florida DW trip. It was a nice stopover point between VA and FL, plus we'd never been before. Here's my thoughts:
The Staff: While a tad more laid back than the employee's you run into at the main Disney hub, this resort was still full of fresh and smiling faces. Particularly Mike the Pool Guy. He was extremely helpful in providing detailed information on Hilton Head island *and* Savannah. These guys were more than happy to carry on a conversation.
The Resort: The lodge and it's surrounding buildings sits at the edge of a marsh, which I really enjoyed. I'm a fan of Chincoteague, VA - and I *love* watching wildlife. The resort had a lovely boardwalk that took you on a path along the marsh, overlooking the sound. We saw a variety of birds. This is not your typical Disney resort, so don't come expecting to find Mickey everywhere you turn. What I liked so much about this place was the peacefulness about it. Our stay was during the off season, early November, and the resort was quiet. I will note, however, that the only building with elevators is the main lodge. The rest are accessible only by stairs, which wouldn't have been such a big deal had we not arrived broken and battered from a 4 day non-stop excursion to Disney World. Thankfully, they were accommodating and arranged a first floor 2-bedroom suite for us. I noticed most buildings only harbored two floors. There is also a nice heated pool on site, too. The hot-tub can comfortably fit a fairly large group. We enjoyed dipping our feet in and soaking in the warmth. The private beach house, located just over a mile from the resort, was really nice. I didn't mind the bus ride. I'm not sure the 10-5 hours are very accommodating, though. I imagine the limited hours angers a lot of beach-goers during the beach season. It was perfect for the cooler weather, though. Just enough time to go and enjoy a long walk on the beach in the afternoon, grab lunch at the onsite quick service, and catch a ride home.
The Room: The decor is very different from what I was expecting. Normally you find hidden Disney references all over the rooms, but not the case here. The theme of the rooms seems to be fishing and camping, which I thought was quite welcoming given the surroundings outside and the setup of the facilities. Our beds were comfy, everything was immaculate, and we even had a marvelous view of the marsh right outside our back deck. Each deck comes equipped with rocking chairs, a huge bonus! I enjoyed sitting out there in the mornings, sipping coffee and watching all of the birds and boaters float by along the marsh. Quite relaxing. What I *did not* like about the room is how incredibly thin the ceiling seemed to be. Or perhaps they need to consider doing a better job soundproofing. We could hear every thump, every shoe dropped, every suit case rolled, every noise made by the people up above us. Even their TV! It ruined the ambiance of the quiet resort a bit.
The Activities: The resort offered a decent amount of activities for both kids and adults. Some free, some that cost money. Personally, we didn't partake in any of them. We did, however, enjoy watching Disney's "Tangled" on a giant movie screen just a few steps away from our front door. Most evenings they hosted a campfire and movie. They also have game areas for horseshoes, cornhole, pingpong, foosball, etc. My friends and I had a great time playing pingpong for the first time in years!
All in all - we'd stay here again in the off season. I can only imagine what this place is like during the warmer months. With the thin walls, I'd rather hold out for the less crowded times of the year. We enjoyed ourselves immensely just walking around, relaxing in hammocks, and playing the onsite games.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort is located on the picturesque coast of South Carolina, 5 hours from Walt Disney World Resort. This warm home-away-from-home-fashioned after a 1940's hunting and fishing lodge-combines local charm with simple pleasures and outdoor fun for the entire family. The resort features multi-roomed villas and many recreational activities, including 12 miles of heavenly beaches famous for clear blue waters. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Hilton Head Island Hotel Hilton Head
- Disney Hilton Head Resort
- Disney Hilton Head Island Resort
- Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort
- Disneys Hilton Head Resort