“Loved this DVC resort!”

Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Hilton Head
dekopps@aol.com
“Loved this DVC resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 5 nights in 2BR villa. Loved it. Got killer member cash rate for late October. No elevators but the grounds CM helped me carry stuff Tons of room. Great pool. Definitely do a kayak tour. Loved the beach house Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank mekopp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying in a Deluxe Studio room at this resort for 4 nights in the second week of June. We are Disney Vacation Club members and this was the first time we have stayed at a DVC resort that wasn't located near a Disney theme park. As other reviewers had mentioned, this resort still has the excellent Disney-level service, but is a far cry from the theme park hustle and bustle one feels when visiting the Florida or California theme park resorts. This is a great place to relax, while the friendly and accommodating staff take care of everything you need! Because my husband had a knee injury that prevented him from walking without the use of crutches during this trip, the staff member at the front desk was great about putting us into a handicap-accessible room right next to the main check-in building, with close proximity to an elevator. As there are not elevators in many of the buildings, this was a nice perk. The front desk staff also allowed us to check out a wheelchair for the duration of our stay at no extra cost, which also came in handy over the course of the trip!
Pros:
-Every single staff member was friendly, accommodating, and great with kids. Because this is a Disney resort, there is a high volume of families with kids, thus many activities geared towards kids (pool games in the afternoons, and a Pirate BBQ they do every Tuesday night). My husband and I, traveling without any kids, never felt bothered by these activites, and we even enjoyed the BBQ ourselves, which had great food!
-Free activities that were geared towards adults. I was able to enjoy a Marsh tour, as well as a 'Behind the Ears' tour, giving history about the resort.
-My husband and I also signed up for a dolphin tour through the resort, which was really fun! We not only saw dolphins, but an alligator and bull sharks as well! While this was a little pricey ($40 a person, with a small discount to Disney Vacation Club members on specific days), still a lot of fun to experience at least once! Our tour guide, Tony, was a lot of fun, and gave us some great facts about the island's history and wildlife.
-The spaciousness of our studio room was wonderful! In our studio we had a microwave, mini fridge, coffee pot and toaster, which came in handy when my husband and I bought groceries at a nearby grocery store to save a little money! The balcony had two rocking chairs and a little table, which was perfect for enjoying our morning coffee.
-There was always a chair available at both pools, despite the resort being booked solid! Part of this may have been because of the on and off rain we had a few days, but it worked out really well! The main resort pool has a nice slide, and the pool at the beach house is a good size for being a secondary option to the ocean.
-The overall cleanliness and ambience of the resort! It almost felt like glorified camping, in the sense that you feel as though the resort is just part of the natural wildlife and plant life the area!

Cons:
While this was a great resort, there were a few minor inconveniences:
- A little miscommunication between staff members. When we originally checked in, we asked what activities my husband could participate in, being on crutches. We were told he could do the 'Secrets of the Marsh' tour at the resort by a couple different staff members, but then, fifteen minutes before the tour is supposed to start, the tour guide comes out and informs us that there is no way he could join the tour, as we were walking through a muddy marsh in big mud boots. My husband was a little disappointed then that he couldn't participate after being told by multiple people that he would be able to. We would just ask that the staff members truly know about every tour before making recommendations or affirming that someone may attend, when they can't.
-The thin walls! We had lock-off doors on both side of our room, so I'm not sure if this contributed to the noise, but we heard our next door neighbors often, a long with the family above our room......
-The dim lighting in the bedroom area....this is typical in many DVC resorts, but a little more light would be nice!

Overall, this was a wonderful vacation! We truly enjoyed ourselves and plan on going back for a longer vacation in the future!

Room Tip: If there is someone in your travel party that may need access to an elevator, request to be in one o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa A
Naples, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

All you expect from Disney. The hotel is on the inland water side and has a free and convenient shuttle to the beach club on the ocean. Also ample parking at the beach club if you want to drive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TwinCs
Marietta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

This resort is nice - not great. I agree with the recent review: NOT IMPRESSED.
The property is actually beautiful in some areas, yet NOT on the (beach side) of the ocean. (quite a bit of marketing leads you to believe its on the ocean - not across a major highway requiring a bus ride or car.) Property is nestled in a cove with some nice views. The accomodations are dated and heading toward dingy - not "charming".
The front desk staff was borderline inept - during a tornado warning, the attendant could not articulate the safety procedures - claiming "we're in hurricane country, so we dont know what to do in a tornado. There are no sirens here - so watch the TV to see what's going on" When asked if there was a safe location in a basement, or middle of a safe building- she was so clueless she speechless.
Front desk agent was also unwilling to extend our family stay by a day - sending us to call the "cast member" line (the discount exteneded to friends and dfamily) Where the "cast member agent stated the property is in charge of all resevation extensions once a guest checked in) We explained the feedback from the cast member line to the desk agent, and they said - "oh sorry, we cant do it". [PLEASE NOTE: we had not voiced one ounce of concern to the desk - had not become problem guests when this request was mode] We only wanted to stay an extra night to visit Sea Pines and other non-disney related locations.
The cast member line was so appalled at the answer from the front desk, that they were willing to rebook an entirely separate night after hearing about the run around from the front desk.

Beach house pool is so small its constantly completely over crowded. The service for lunch was crazy slow - over 25 minutes for chicken fingers. The food in general at the entire property was pretty poor - smoked Turkey sandwich was pink (tasted raw), Grilled chicken salad was the same - gross - thrown away after 1 bite. There is no restaurant on property - which is completely inconvenient. Lastly, $15 for a plastic refillable mug - ridiculous ripoff

Overall, this property is a huge let down after a fabulous stay at Disney park in FL in November 2011. We came here to determine if we would invest in a disney vacation club membership - I am now 100% positive that I will be heading to MARIOTT happily.

Room Tip: good luck if you are on a "cast member discount:" Anyone else - Ask for the TOP floor...
1 Thank Eileen W
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was our first experience with Disney outside the theme park environment and my wife and I were certainly impressed. We had a one bedroom condo with a view of the wetlands. The condo was very spacious especially the bathroom. Our home resort is Kidani Village and knew what to expect of a Disney resort and are never disappointed. The staff were very attentive to our needs and showed extreme exuberance when we checked. We stayed from 5-12 June and were told that the following week would be full of young families and hoards of kids, so I guess we made it just in time. Also and most important, we both had amazing sleeps at night.

There were however a few things I would change to make the stay more enjoyable.
1. The gym needs some better equipment and maybe a larger space. While I realize that I can't expect a fully equiped gym, the elliptical is fairly dated (or possibly just cheap) such that the range of motion was quite restricted. Also, an upright stationary bike would be a useful addition as I found the seated stationary hard on the lower back.

2. The main bathroom could use a small magnification mirror for close makeup application, etc.
3. The kitchen counters could use a little more lighting as it was fairly dark late at night with the shutters closed.

Regardless, all the above were minor issues which we lived with and did not detract from a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ouadad
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Spent a wonderful week at this resort and they went out of their way to make you feel welcomed

2 Thank Tom G
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I just got home yesterday from the Disney Hilton head island vacation club and we were sadly disappointed in this resort. My mother in law (dvc owner for 20 years) and two kids and I were there to spend a long weekend while also at a family reunion in Savannah. We figured that we might as well use points instead of paying for a hotel in Savannah.
Hotel staff: wonderful. They were all very nice, in typical Disney employee form. I have no complaints.
Check-in: easy. We got in our room early.
Room: this is where I was disappointed. Let me start by saying that the rooms were all Very clean. I am not a fan of the decor. I get the whole fishing theme idea, but it looks outdated, and I hate bedspreads. The colors make it feel very dark and dreary. There is no elevators, so I had to lug all the stuff up by myself.
Our room smelled like feces. Every time we walked in there was a terrible smell. If I was staying here e week I would have moved, but it was three nights so it was tolerable. The lighting was poor, and the couch was so strange, you really couldn't get comfortable on it.
Pool: main pool was fun, but there is not a ton of seating. They had activities all day for kids that were great.
Fitness center: terrible and small. There is literally two treadmills, one bike and one elliptical. I ended up walking outside.
Beach house: very nice, but not on property. Big turnoff for me.
I think if you like the southern old time feel of this resort you will enjoy it. We own a Marriott and we have gone to several and also other DVC destinations and have been impressed all other times. We were not here.

Room Tip: We stayed in cottages 21. Close to pool.
3 Thank Travelgrl911