“Great family site”

Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Named to the Top 25 of Travel + Leisure magazine's list of the World’s Best Family Resorts, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on Hilton Head Island has earned this distinction by providing a world-class golf experience alongside vacations that are sure to please the whole family. There's something to do and see for everyone, no matter the age, no matter the interest. Its 2,000 acres, nestled on three miles of sun-kissed Atlantic Ocean Beachfront provide the perfect venue for three world-class golf courses, an award-winning tennis center and an 11-mile lagoon perfect for kayaking, fishing and exploring the pristine natural environment. Offering vacation homes and villa rentals to accommodate groups of all sizes.
Connecticut
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“Great family site”
Reviewed September 12, 2005

We have vacationed at many of the best Southeastern coastal resorts and Palmetto Dunes stacks up quite favorably. Several of the rental agencies have accurate virtual tours of the availlable condos & homes. Excellent beach - although minus the amenities found at a Sea Island - nice pools, and above average golf

6 Thank Doubleeagle

A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Family Resort”
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Don't judge the resort by one reviewer's bad experience. Have stayed here 2 summers. We rent a home with another family for a week and have a great time. Tennis and golf are all nearby. Great beach access. You can bike almost everywhere. Stay away from the hotels and get a town house or house. We have gone to Kiawah too. Kiawah is great with better golf courses and homes, but if you have kids Hilton Head has lots more to do. Kiawah has great nature programs, but is small with little to do at night unless you travel to Charleston. Hilton Head has more and better restaurants and Savannah is 45 minutes away. On the Palmetto Dunes property the Robert Trent Jones course is the only quality course. There are many other area courses, including Harbour Town although it is expensive and a bit overrated. The tennis program is great.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Central Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“House was great - golf is below average!”
Reviewed June 20, 2005

Our rental house was awesome. Very clean, new, and an teriffic pool with jacuzzi tub. Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head in general is a very "nice" place. That being said, it also a very crowded and busy place. They've done an excellant of not letting the island look touristy/cheesy, but the amount of traffic is outrageous. It is not a quiet little quaint island. Also, the golf courses I played were definitely overated! Maybe it's because we go in June, but the course conditions are very poor considering the premium price they charge. My home course is a much better place to play. The greens were especially bad. Lots of dead spots and lots of sand.
Hilton Head is probably a little over rated.

7 Thank Hoosiertown
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love Palmetto Dunes and Fazio”
Reviewed June 20, 2005

I've stayed at Fazio #1 for many years now, and it is a lovely condo. It is beautifully furnished and immaculate (4 bedrooms, three baths, etc.). It is cleaned before you arrive and after you leave. I don't golf, so I can't answer for the golf course, although Fazio #1 overlooks the 18th hole and it seems very lovely. The beach is a short walk away, and my friends and I have a wonderful time each year. I can't speak for all of the condos (I think some of them are privately owned and may be furnished differently), but I can at least speak for #1. So, I'm sorry the other gentleman had a lousy vacation, but I'm looking forward to my trip there in September!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mark Fritsch-Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Worst resort I have ever stayed at! Terrible golf courses”
Reviewed April 3, 2005

Afer hearing so many good things over the years about Hilton Head and Plametto Dunes I decided to book our annual golf trip there this year. Seemed like a problem from the moment I booked it with Palmetto Dunes resort. After many years at Kiawah Island, Myrtle BEach, Amelia Island, Palm Springs, etc... I had high expectations from Palmetto Dunes.
From the beginning the reservation process was very arduous and time consuming. Upon arrival the 3-br Townhouse (#30 Fazio) was less than stellar. From the stale smell to the palmetto bugs( cockroaches) we were extremeely disappointed. I understand why there are cockroaches, because there is no cleaning service of any kind. Not even daily towel service. I have never stayed anywhere without this service. All the golf courses at Palmetto Dunes were attrocious condition wise. I will give them the fact that they had nice layouts but the greens and surrounding rough and areas were ridiculous. Our muni's at home are better for $20.
By the last day I figured out the reason. Maybe 20 years ago Palmetto Dunes was the creme de lecream, but time has passed you by and you need to spend $ to revamp the courses and clubhouses. Time to go to
Tif-Eagle greens like your counter part Kiawah Island. They are kicking your butts. Wake up boys.....

25 Thank mfloans