“Delicious food, great service--but be prepared to wait :)”

A Lowcountry Backyard
Ranked #15 of 376 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and flickering lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our favorite restaurant during our stay at Hilton Head. We arrived at 4:50 (we have a toddler) and there was already a 25 minute wait! There are benches for waiting, as well as a bar, and some outdoor games. Our almost 2-year-old enjoyed tossing balls into cans until our table was ready. The ambiance in this restaurant is great--the lighting is nice, excellent music, and the outdoor tables are lovely. We waited quite a while for our food, but the restaurant was packed and everyone was clearly working as hard as they could to get food out, served, and cleared. We enjoyed a mason jar of Chardonnay, and a Buckshot (fantastic waitress recommendation while we waited. The wait was well worth it. I ordered the crabcakes with creamy grits and macaroni salad, and my husband ordered the flounder with fresh fruit. Our toddler had a BLT with mashed potatoes. The food was delicious, unpretentious, authentically Southern. We cleaned our plates! I was very impressed with the kid's meal, as well. Rarely do I want to eat off my daughter's plate, but her BLT looked yummy! We took a banana pudding to go, and it was delicious, as well. We all fought over the last forkful. Don't miss this delightful restaurant!

1  Thank AOnkst
There are newer reviews for A Lowcountry Backyard

Reviewed July 29, 2014

The moonshine and local boil was amazing, must eat if you're in HHI. Love the outside sitting its literally a backyard.

1  Thank Humberto G
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We come every year. The "tomato stack" is awesome! My husband ordered the sausage, shrimp and grits. Although very good (I tried it) there were only four shrimp in the dish. For the price they should offer more. I had the veggie plate. The mac and cheese is wonderful. I wanted to try the banana pudding but was too full.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

I took my 9 year old daughter here for lunch and had a wonderful time! The server, Maggie, was attentive and kind and the food is true southern style and absolutely delicious! It was a very hot day, but we sat outside and were very comfortable. My daughter LOVED all the unique games and decorations outside and has made me promise that we come back before vacation is over! And you just can't beat banana pudding in a mason jar for dessert- yum!

1  Thank Shewmama
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

The only con we can think of is it's really hard to find the restaurant! We circled the block twice before we found it...look for the sign for "Backyard Restaurant" right past Publix. We ate the Lowcountry Shrimp Burger and the Mahi-Mahi sandwich. Both excellent! Wish we had room for the banana pudding, but were absolutely stuffed! WILL RETURN!!! Waitresses attentive and super sweet! Get there early and be hungry - leave satiated and happy!

2  Thank TWangLee