“Best food on the planet!”

A Lowcountry Backyard
Ranked #16 of 365 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and flickering lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best food on the planet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is seriously one of the best places I've ever eaten. I have got several things from there and they were all amazing. I'm sure this makes me sound like I must be 1000 lbs but my family has actually driven from Jacksonville, FL just to eat here...a few times! Do yourself a favor and get the meatloaf. You won't regret it. Also, the grits are the creamiest on the planet!

• Visited December 2013
LowcountryBackyard, Owner at A Lowcountry Backyard, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Wow. It's a big planet too!. I am humbled and honored that you have driven so far on one occasion, let alone, a few times. Thank you for your kind words. Makes it all worth while. Hope to see you again soon. Dave

Asheville, North Carolina
“Hands down- best shrimp and grits from here to ATL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is a refreshing escape from the touristy same ole same ole restaurants in HH. By far best shrimp and grits!!! Loved the potato chip meatloaf too! Wonderful comfort food with a twist. Happy and friendly staff were very accommodating and efficient. Thanks for the experience!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank JanieDL
Our goal every day is to be an escape from the common, to enjoy a simpler time with great food and family. Glad we met the mark with you and thrilled that you enjoyed everything. Thanks for dining with us!
Holland, Michigan
“Dissapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

From my experience the shrimp served on Hilton Head is some of the best in this country, even at the lower tier restaurants. Tonight the shrimp tasted like they were frozen and had a bad case of freezer burn, plus were overcooked to a Goodyear Rubber consistency. There is no excuse for this on Hilton Head where fresh seafood is abundant. Also, Mason jars may be acceptable to drink a microbrew from but NOT a fine bottle of wine. Get some decent wine glasses, please. The side salad consisted of crunchy iceberg lettuce with shredded cheese from a bag. I guess low country aficionados don't like fresh greens. Prices are not reflective of rubber shrimp and iceberg lettuce.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank JandJSz
Thank you for your review. As an Island resident for 40 years, I know and understand our local seafood. I grew up with the people who harvest it and supply it island wide. Im still friends with some of them to this day. I do have to break down your review slightly in order to form an accurate response. In your words… "From my experience the shrimp served on Hilton Head is some of the best in this country, even at the lower tier restaurants". I agree, but I hate to be the bearer of some bad news. I do need to tell you that if you have been coming to Hilton Head in April and had "Hilton Head" shrimp each time, you you have been mislead for years. You have had frozen shrimp or some other places shrimp since Hilton Head's shrimp season does not even start until June at the earliest. Sounds like we overcooked yours though and we apologize for that. Please never hesitate to tell us if you are unhappy with your meal while you are dining so that we can correct the problem. You are correct on the latter part of your review. Hilton Head does have an abundance of fresh seafood. We have it at our restaurant regularly. Today we have Cobia, Salmon, Swordfish and wolf fish just to name four. We know what is in season and shop accordingly. I am a HUGE fan of buying Hilton Head seafood, thus supporting my friends, neighbors and people of SC. I am glad that the iceberg lettuce was crunchy. It is local too. We also add romaine lettuce to the salad mix. We recently started adding spinach to it. In your words again, if I may, "I guess low country aficionados don't like fresh greens." Well, I feel that was an unnecessary insult. I would never go to Michigan and try to tell you about Michigan football, your local foods or your personal preferences because you would know way more than me about it, and I simply don't know you personally. You don't know me at all, so I find it rude that you would make an insulting comment simply because you did not like your salad. I actually do love fresh greens. Did you get to try our local collard greens? We have them as a regular part of the menu, and they are fabulous. You did respond to me through TripAdvisor and mentioned that you had the Wolf Fish and it was great. Where is that in the review? A well written review should also contain the good and should be included when we are graded, right? We are a casual place, that offers casual dining, with a casual staff and casual atmosphere. My wine swirls fine in a mason jar, but if you wanted a wine glass, your server would have gladly accommodated you because we have some. We do not make our own cheese. We buy it. I have lived here all my life, and have years of experience eating at our local restaurants. Call me and I will happily give you great recommendations on some of the islands fine dining establishments. Many of them will grate cheese at your table and all of them have wine glasses if that is your personal preference. Sounds like you would be happier there, and that's ok if that is your style of dining. I'm happy with the mason jar, personally.
Kissimmee, Florida
“Worth finding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

A little hard to find ,not in my GPS, in the Exchange mall. But worth looking for. The seafood purloo with tuna steak was great, and the backyard combo with pulled pork,BBQ chicken breast, and shrimp was huge and delicious.

• Visited March 2014
The seafood purloo dish was first taught to me by one of the Island's first shrimping families when I was in my teens. I have always loved that dish and we are very happy that you enjoyed it too. Thanks for the comments and your patronage. Dave
Woodstock, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our new #1 must go while in HH!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Our family dined here on Saturday afternoon. We chose to arrive at 4:15 (they open at 4:30) after reading a lot of reviews about a wait. I am so glad we did! We were the second family seated and had excellent service. The staff was incredibly friendly and worked very well together. The owner came out and spoke to some ladies behind us and was talking about how her Mom makes all the desserts and her husband mans the kitchen. So nice to know there are truly FAMILY ran businesses still! It's very apparent in the quality of the food and service provided. She also made rounds and checked on every table. Our kids (2,5,15) all loved their meal selections and quickly ate their food.
We did have a bit of trouble finding it, as it's name wasn't visible on the tiny sign out front, and maybe they should have "turn at Smokehouse" or some description on their site, but I am SO glad we found it. I am already craving more of their deliciously fresh food and desserts!
Thank you for a delicious meal, great service, and family oriented atmosphere!

• Visited April 2014
Sounds like you met my wife when she was making her rounds. She's a keeper for sure. My mother in law has an amazing talent when it comes to turning average ingredients into a memorable dessert. We try extremely hard to keep our quality high and our service excellent. We are very proud that our staff loves to come to work and it is evident when they smile and have fun with our guests, all while giving them good service. We consider them our family. Thank you for dining with us and your great feedback. Dave