“And Once Again - Outstanding”

A Lowcountry Backyard
Ranked #16 of 365 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and flickering lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
Lexington, Kentucky
“And Once Again - Outstanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I highly recommend this little restaurant known for the low-country cooking. Shrimp and grits, meatloaf, mashed potatoes with cream cheese, collard greens, and more and more. The pimento cheese appetizer is outstanding. Oh the pies, the pies. Yes, go here and enjoy the Southern food cooked to perfection.

• Visited May 2013
LowcountryBackyard, Owner at A Lowcountry Backyard, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your review! The shrimp and grits are my personal favorite. Ok, the pies too. You are right, you cant go wrong with those. I will be sure to let mom know you enjoyed them. Thanks!

Atlanta, GA
“Yummy Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We went at 9:00 on Sunday morning for brunch. When on vacation, mornings are sacred so we rarely venture out for breakfast. But since I had read such great things about A Low Country Backyard we decided to make an exception to sleeping in and hitting the beach.

5 of us dined here for brunch and we all enjoyed our meal except my eight year old (who stuck with milk and fruit). So please note there is not a kids menu or a basic breakfast like pancakes or cereal. Your most basic choice would be eggs.

My husband and I split the eggs Benedict with crab cakes on biscuits, and the Bananas Foster French Toast both of which were very tasty. The portions were very filling and both offering were unique-which is worth getting up for.

Another member of our party ordered a seafood omelet, which was tasty but he didn't rave about it.

The place is very small. We had no trouble getting a table and the there were available tables when we left, however we visited the weekend before Memorial Day so if you are going during the high season please plan accordingly.

The final verdict: We would return but perhaps for lunch.

Visited May 2013
We appreciate your patronage and review!. Sometimes we, ourselves come here on our day off just to eat brunch. I love the backyard benedict. My wife is a fan of the James Island (crab cake) Benedict. Hope to see you again soon!
Tampa, Florida
“I should live in HH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Excellent service, very kid friendly and the food was excellent.....just get there early! We stopped in at 5:15 and the establishment had a line by 6pm.

Visited May 2013
Your review made me laugh and smile. You SHOULD live here. It is a great place to live. Your review says that you are from Tampa. We go there once a year and think it is a great place too. Thank you!
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

While we loved the atmosphere, overall, the food was okay. I loved the meatloaf. We must be crab cake snobs, because they were, at best, average. It's just hard to find a decent crabcake (outside my wife's kitchen) south of Baltimore! They should also try to use more local foods as we were disappointed to hear that the grits, which were good, were Quaker, rather than Anson Mills or Adluh. We're glad we went but would want to try other places before we went back.

• Visited May 2013
LowcountryBackyard, Owner at A Lowcountry Backyard, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thanks so much for trying us. I agree, great crab cakes can be hard to find sometimes. We make our crab cakes in 4 lb. Batches. In each batch, we only use 3 tablespoons of breading. We hope you agree, and we are proud to say, that they are full of fresh crab and not much filler. As an islander of almost 40 years, I fully support SC products as often as I can find them. Just this week our SC items included collard greens, red tomatoes, green tomatoes, fresh shrimp, wahoo, cobia, swordfish, tuna, spadefish, triggerfish, tilefish, cauliflower, sweet onions and even our milk came from a South Carolina dairy. All that was this week only, but our list varies from week to week with a focus on South Carolina fish, fisherman, produce and other products. I love Adluh and Anson Mills products and have used them in other dishes. Like some ingredients shine better in certain recipes, those brands just don’t work the best for our Shrimp & Grits recipe. We are glad you enjoyed our grits nonetheless and hope to see you again in the future!
SC
“Come Hungry!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Guaranteed you will be full when you leave. We had the lobster sandwich and the BLT with fried green tomato sandwich. Both were served on toasted flatbread. Our sides were the apple slaw which was excellent and the mac 'n cheese which was just okay.

It's a family style restaurant and very accommodating to children. Food is served indoors as well as outdoors.

My friend and I enjoyed our lunches and we would go back again.

• Visited May 2013
LowcountryBackyard, Manager at A Lowcountry Backyard, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you very much. Our fried green tomato blt is a best seller and our Apple slaw is new on our menu this year! Thank you for your feedback and glad that you enjoyed your visit.