“Visited again - this time for breakfast”

A Lowcountry Backyard
Ranked #13 of 381 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and flickering lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have been here twice for dinner but never for breakfast. We came here on Saturday around 9 am and the place was quiet with only two other tables. My husband had the banana fosters pancakes and raved about it. He thought it would be too sweet but he said it was perfect.

Another great meal at Lowcountry Backyard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,860)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just returned from our first visit to A Lowcountry Backyard and it was better than we expected! My husband had the biscuits and sausage gravy with added scrambled eggs and he said it was delicious. Biscuits were very large and there were four of them. Gravy was loaded with large chunks of sausage. He was able to finish it all but he is a big eater. The portion is way too large for an average eater. I need to eat gluten free and had planned to only eat eggs--especially after the girl who answered the phone in the morning said she didn't know what gluten was. I picked the restaurant just so my husband could get the biscuits/gravy so I was fine eating plain eggs. When I informed our waitress about my food "allergy" (celiac isn't an allergy but it's just easier to explain), she said I could get plain scrambled eggs. The restaurant was busy--Sunday brunch--so we sat at the bar. Another waitress was pouring drinks and I asked her about the ingredients of the grits. I mentioned that they sounded gluten free and she said she knew they were gf because a new menu is coming out in two days and gf options are marked!!! I thought they were very good although very rich---I cleaned my plate.
Our bill was all of $15! In Hilton Head!!
Spent some time speaking with the owner, who makes the biscuits every morning. She is a nurse by training and is very aware of gluten. She mentioned that 90% of her soups are gf, as is the meatloaf sandwich without bread and the banana pudding without the wafer.
The actual restaurant is not very large and located between Target and Arrow Roads in the Village Exchange. No reservations and only one restroom but well worth the wait.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Had breakfast this morning. Shrimp and grits were above average, grits were good, but being a southern boy from Mississippi, I would have preferred that they not be so "rich"', but that is just a matter of my taste. The dish was well prepared. . Shrimp had a strong "fishy" taste, but had large portion. The coffee was excellent and hot, as good as any coffee shop I have been to. The highlight of the meal was the biscuits and sausage gravy. It was 5 stars. Best I've ever had. The service was excellent, friendly and attentive.

All of the food was well prepared, served hot and was very good. I would definitely recommend, it is a great value and an excellent breakfast.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Wow -- I guess I just never had them prepared as they are in the "Shrimp and Grits" dish at this fun, cozy, very busy little hideaway on HH island. The grits were as creamy as they could be -- the other reviewers are not fibbing -- and the dish was so rich and sizeable I could only finish half of it. But I will get to the rest tonight! The dish comes with several small slices of what I think is Polish sausage. I like polish sausage and I understand that here in Low Country it is part of the cuisine with seafood, but I could have done without it. Not a complaint. We spent more money than we should have because we decided to try just about everything we had read about in reviews here -- the mac and cheese, almost too rish, but very good; the collards -- to my taste, really good if you pile on the pepper sauce -- and the macaroni salad, which was tossed with olives. I did not much care for it but I have been searching in vain for years for the king of macaroni salads. Two desserts are featured -- banana pudding and key lime pie -- and our server, Adam, steered us toward the key lime. Imagine sticking your fork into it from the top and it just stays there, that's how rich it weas. Tangy, too. Good choice.

We "discovered" this place while driving down from DC. We are not familiar with Hilton Head and so decided to eat "Low Country." I'm so glad we did, evern though we are now quite chubby.

Pay heed to the advice to go early or be prepared to wait; the place does not take ressies. We arrived at 5:55 on a Friday night and the wait already was 30 minutes. We got lucky and waited only 15. The place is really small -- maybe 11 tables. Also be advised that they move quickly wioth the service here: your appetizer will arrive minutes after ordering and your entree will show up immediately after your apetizer plate is cleared. I'm not saying we felt rushed; I think that they do not want to keep the folks waiting.

At the end of the dinner, I asked Adam -- responsive and helpful -- if the owners planned to expand because the little place seems so popular. He said, "You know, it is what it is. If you want a big place, you can go right next door (to the 'Smokehouse', which I'm sure is fine but is definitely big. We are what we are." I agree. Charming, friendly, great food.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We arrived around 6 pm on a Tuesday and only waited about 20 minutes. The food was good but not outstanding to me and we were able to eat outside. My husband had the shrimp and grits and he said the grits were the best he had ever had. There was a man playing a guitar and singing. He was good but no one ever applauded and even seemed to pay attention even though he made comments to the crowd.