“Awesome find”

Ranked #14 of 369 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and flickering lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome find”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We loved this restaurant, sat outside by the fountains and listened to the birds chirp. It was a little hard to find but well worth the few upturns I had to make to get here. Prices are great and the food was perfect for were you are.

Ashburn, Virginia
“Savory SC Cuisine”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

When in South Carolina you have to eat fried green tomatoes, and eat comfort food like a hot meatloaf sandwich (meatloaf made with potato chips instead of bread crumbs), homemade macaroni salad and drink lemonshine (lemonade and moonshine). I recently enjoyed all of this at Low Country Backyard Restaurant and it was all very good. The menu is filled with so many choices, I have to return for the shrimp and grits and banana pudding' and more. There is outdoor dining, an extensive brunch menu, entertainment, and friendly service. Be sure to get there early since they don't take reservations. Yum, yummy!

• Visited April 2013
“Best food we had on Hilton Head!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

There were a wide variety of menu items for the six of us to choose from, even though the menu was fairly small. My eleven year old really enjoyed the shrimp and grits and the cream cheese mashed potatoes were an awesome side!! The kids also enjoyed the yard games in the small outdoor waiting/ seating area.

Sarasota, Florida
“A tad disappointed!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went there based on TA rave reviews but we didn't have a stellar experience. I had the lowcountry salad with chicken and my husband had the blackened Mahi sandwich with chips. The salad was the better of the two meals and at least was enough to be a lunch meal. The mahi sandwich was a wafer piece of mahi, so small that he ate it on one half of the bread and was still hungry. The potato chips and pretzels are not a great "side" dish and are not filling. We tried the banana pudding as a dessert. It was tasty but a bit too thick and creamy for my taste. I hope this was just the product of an "off" day on the part of the chef. We didn't feel the food was great nor offered good value. Sorry for this candid review!

• Visited April 2013
LowcountryBackyard, Owner at A Lowcountry Backyard, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your fish sandwich was on the small side. As the Chef and owner, I assure you that we don’t make it a regular business practice to send out meals that would make our guests feel that they did not get their monies worth. If you read many of our reviews, most of our guests seem satisfied with our portion sizes. Occasionally we do make mistakes though. Please allow us the opportunity to make this right with you. I would love to treat your husband to a complimentary sandwich done the proper way. I sent you a message regarding how to reach me directly if we can set that up with you. Please understand that we never want a guest to leave dissatisfied. For any other guests who may read this, we sincerely want you to know that If for any reason you are not completely satisfied while you are dining with us, please speak up and let one of our staff members know immediately. We never want you to just deal with an unhappy situation on your own. While it is our intention is to not make mistakes, if one is made, I would always rather have the opportunity fix it immediately than have you leave unsatisfied. I apologize once again and hope you will try us again. Thank you.
Houston, Texas
“Very average”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had very nice roasted chicken, well seasoned with Italian herbs. DH had a salad and gumbo that he said tasted like celery water with some chicken thrown in. He didn't think they started off with a roux, the way all good gumbos begin, or that it included file, so his meal was very disappointing. For us, this restaurant was batting 50/50.

• Visited April 2013
LowcountryBackyard, Manager at A Lowcountry Backyard, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy that you found your chicken dinner to be very good and we are sorry that you did not enjoy the soup. We sincerely want you to know that If for any reason you are not completely satisfied while you are dining with us, please speak up immediately so that we can either get you something that you may like, or correct any other problem with your dining experience. We do have different homemade soups throughout the week. I apologize once again and hope you may try us again in the future. Thank you.