“Fantastic Brunch, Great Service.”

A Lowcountry Backyard
Ranked #16 of 368 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic Lowcountry Style Cuisine prepared the way it used to be. All homemade, delicious Crab Cakes, Fried Green Tomato BLT's, Banana pudding, Seafood, Soups, Salads and sandwiches, just to name a few. Fresh desserts and cakes prepared daily. Dine inside, or outside in a classic, Lowcountry Backyard garden complete with porch swing and flickering lamps. Relax and share food, stories and advice with each other. Definitely, make yourself at home. Welcome!
Coral Springs, FL
“Fantastic Brunch, Great Service.”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My family and I visited HIlton Head for Atlant's spring break in April. This was one of two restaurants that I took the family too and the reviews don't lie! It was probalby the best brunch we've had in a decade. Besides my wife, our 5 year old boy, twin 18 month old boys and mother-in-law accompanied us. Both my wife and son ordered the french toast and it was just excellent... it was a huge plate of french toast and my boy finished every bite! He usually takes 4 bites of something and starts running around but he sat there rapt with attention at the food. I tasted it and it was type fantastic. The twins also shared the french toast and they scarfed it down, along with a cup of fresh-cut fruit. My mother-in-law and I had the shrimp and grits... we protested to the waitress that we don't like grits but she insisted and we relented... best decision of the trip... the grits were exceedingly creamy and the shrimp and andouille sausage was just perfect. They also had pieces of crisp bacon mixed in for that extra damage to your heart. Our waitress was dynamite and very friendly to us; we chatted for a long time because business was sill a bit slow (Saturday is the best time to go because folks are leaving the island and the newcomers haven't arrived yet). We got to meet the owner/chef as well and it was a great time. I hear the lunch and dinner is the shiznit as well...

Detroit, Michigan
“spicy meatloaf, not worth the wait”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

During a recent trip to Hilton Head, we decided to try this restaurant after reading the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. It turned out to be a mistake. After initially arriving on a Monday night, only to find the restaurant closed (ate at the Smokehouse next door, which was excellent!), we returned the next night. We arrived around 6:00 and waited about 30 minutes. My brother-in-law and I went next door to the Smokehouse for a drink (the beer selection at Lowcountry was very limited). My wife, daughter, and sister-in-law chose to wait in the car because they were too cold. After being seated, we placed our order with the waitress, and were brought our drinks within a few minutes. I ordered the Bischick, my wife ordered the Shrimp and Grits, and the others ordered the Potato Chip encrusted, peach-glazed Meatloaf (Dave's recommendation). We literally waited at least 30 minutes for our meal to arrive. We had to use the bathroom a couple times, it is a one-person, unisex bathroom, so you have to keep an eye out and make a dash for the bathroom when you see someone walk out. Our waitress finally brought our meals, apologizing for the long wait, saying it would be "worth the wait". My Bischick was ok, and my wife liked the Shrimp and Grits, compared to another one she had at Hudson's a few days earlier. The Meatloaf was another story. First of all, it looked like it had been cut out of a pan, it was in the shape of a perfect rectangle. My brother-in-law said it looked like something from Gordon Food Service or a school cafeteria. Secondly, it was cold. My sister-in-law took one tasted of the peach dressing and said it was way too spicy. it was also not visually appealing to her, it just looked unappetizing. There was no evidence of any potato chip crusting. She scraped all of the peach dressing off, and cut the meatloaf into small pieces. She took one bite and noticed raw onions inside the meatloaf, which rendered the meal inedible to her. I suggested she send it back, but at that point the meatloaf was all over her plate in pieces, and we had waited so long that she just didn't want to bother. i tasted a piece myself, and it was cold, all I tasted was the sweet peach dressing. My brother-in-law and daughter ate most of their meal, although it seemed lukewarm to them, and they weren't really happy either. After the meal, the waitress returned, noticing that my sister-in-law had barely eaten any of her food. She asked if there was anything she could do, and the manager came out also (I believe it was Dave's daughter, she was very nice!), and asked if there was anything she could get her, maybe some Banana pudding or something. My sister-in-law was so upset at that point, and we all just wanted to get out of there. My meal was decent, certainly nothing special, and nothing to go out of the way for, or wait so long for. The restaurant was ok, it was just that I was expecting so much more after reading all the wonderful reviews...it just didn't live up to what I had hoped for. We had many excellent meals at other places on the Island, namely the Smokehouse, Skull Creek Boathouse, Sea Shack, and a couple excellent meals in Savannah and Charleston. I was hoping this would add to the list, but unfortunately, it didn't.

1 Thank michiganmat
orleans ma
“wonderful outdoor seating, good casual food and prices”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This past Thursday, our group of five headed out for a late breakfast. We ended up at The Backyard , only to find out it had just opened and didn't serve breakfast. The delightful setting and eclectic menu helped us decide on an early lunch instead. We are so glad we did. We had a relaxing meal in a garden setting. BLT's with fried green tomatoes were excellent as well as the meat loaf sandwich. Our waitress was friendly and competent. It is her service that brought me to this site . I wanted to thank her for her thoughtfulness., One in our group was a 'birthday girl", which we just mentioned in passing. When she was cleaning off our table we said we couldn't eat another thing. The birthday girl said she should have had the banana pudding for her meal. The waitress came back with the check and a banana pudding with a candle in it. It was delicious ( she also brought 5 spoons) and made our day! We've already chosen what we will get on our next return.

SC
“Different in all the right ways”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

It was Sunday and we wanted to go to Brunch with friends. I suggested the Backyard, after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. As locals, we try to avoid the over-priced and underperforming restaurants on our island. This restaurant was wonderful. The weather was perfect for sitting outside. Every dish was fantastic. We enjoyed the Backyard Benedict, and Bananas Foster French Toast. It is obvious that everything is made from scratch. And the staff is friendly and caring. Prices are reasonable. We plan to return again and again.

Cleveland, OH
“Our new HHI favorite”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Our party of 7 had dinner at A Lowcountry Backyard several days ago, and we were all very impressed. Both the food and the restaurant itself are elegant in a casual, down-home sort of way, and the service was prompt, courteous and knowledgeable. We enjoyed both the entree standards (Bischick, peach-glazed meatloaf, fried green tomato sandwich, etc.) as well as some of the specials (salmon in puff pastry, blackened grouper) Appetizers and desserts were likewise very good. We were able to walk in a little after 6, but there was a wait by the time we left at 8 (a bit surprising, since the establishment closes at 9). Prices varied from reasonable to a steal, depending on the entree. All-in-all a very nice evening, and our thanks and congratulations to the owners.