“Great fishing!”

Off The Hook Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come fish the beautiful inshore waters of the Lowcountry with Captain Brian Vaughn or his team of Co-Captain's with over 30 years combined experience guiding inshore, offshore, light tackle and fly fishing charters. You will be fishing on a brand new Egret flats boat or one of his two 22ft. Pathfinder bay boats that can accommodate up to 4 passengers. These boats are equipped with only the finest fly, spin and conventional fishing tackle. Sight fish for redfish year round on the beautiful flats and estuaries of Hilton Head & Beaufort. Target other species including tarpon, cobia, sharks, spanish mackerel, speckled trout and many more on a seasonal basis. During your charter you will also get to view dolphins and many other species of wildlife. Whether you're a beginner or an expert let us take you or your family fishing and share our wealth of knowledge acquired from an entire life on and around Hilton Head Islands waters. We are very dedicated to making every trip a safe, productive and a memorable experience for our clients. STOP WISHING and GO FISHING with OFF THE HOOK FISHING CHARTERS and experience one of the best inshore, light tackle & fly fishing guide services in South Carolina! Please visit our website for booking and any other information
Reviewed July 31, 2013

On July 28th, we enjoyed a morning charter with Captain Cory. Making arrangements for the charter before our trip was easily done via email with Brian. We were looking forward to introducing our two boys (3 & 5) to the joys of fishing and, our charter did just that! We had an excellent day, had a hook up every 5-10 minutes which provided more than enough excitement for all. Cory was very attentive to his young passengers and made it a great experience. Even Dad had his share and got to enjoy battling a large ray. We would highly recommend Cory and Off the Hook. Unfortunately, the boys had such a great experience on this occasion that they may find the reality of future searches for fish somewhat disappointing. Thanks for a great time.

OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Glad you had a great time and we look forward to hopefully fishing with you again next time you are back to Hilton Head!

Thanks!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been on many chartered fishing trips in HHI with mixed results. However, our recent trip with Brian of Off the Hook Fishing Charters was excellent. With his flat bottom boat, he has the unique ability to go deep as well as fish in the marshes (which was a neat experience). Even though we were trying for some Red Fish and a possible Tarpon, we caught at least 10 sharks.

Albeit his boat is smaller than some of the other available charters, you will not match his knowledge, work ethic and flexibility.

Do not wait to make your reservation, he fills up fast. I called 4 weeks ahead and was barely able to work into his schedule.

We will definitely re-up for Brian again.

PS: Part of most fishing trips will involve trying to catch "Bait fish" which is a "Hit or Miss" experience ranging from 15 – 45 minutes, so just go into it knowing this.

1  Thank henno101

Great fishing with you guys! Thanks for mentioning how morning trips can take some time to get some time to get baitfish. Hope to see you again next year!

Thanks

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is the second year we came back to fish with Capt Brian. I took my Grandpa out this time. It was AMAZING. Catching bait, seeing the dolphins, the beautiful boat ride. We found a spot and it was non stop action. We caught the biggest Red fish I have ever seen. My grandpa has not stopped smiling and talking about it since. We will definitely be back, and I would not charter with anyone by Off the Hook Fishing Charters.

Once again a pleasure to fish with you all and what great trips we had. I look forward to next year!

Thanks!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Before booking with Capt. Brian with Off the Hook my father-in-law and I did a lot of research regarding the different fishing charters leaving out of Hilton Head. Both of us were impressed with what we read about Capt. Brian and his experiences fishing. I was also impressed that he took the time to reply to each of my emails. We booked our 6 hr. trip for June 24th with Off the Hook and were assigned to Capt. Cory because Capt. Brian was already booked. The trip included me, my father-in-law and my two sons, aged 15 and 20 yrs old. I was a little hesitant regarding this because I did not see any reviews that pertained to Capt. Cory. We decided to go with it anyway. We arrived at the dock 15 mins early and were asked immediately if we were still interested in fishing. Capt. Cory informed us that the fishing hadn't been that good lately and that he had been told by Capt. Brian that he (Capt. Brian) had sent us an email several days ago describing the poor fishing. This was not a good way to begin our trip. I never saw an email but believed he had sent it and because our family had departed for Hilton Head 2 days prior I wouldn't have seen it anyway. (It should be noted that when I returned home a week later, I checked my email and saw that I never received such an email) Anyway, we decided to proceed with the fishing since we were all looking forward to it. Capt. Cory appeared nice from the beginning and we caught our bait fish quickly en-route to our first fishing spot. We spent the next 4 hrs or so fishing one particular spot that several other boats knew about as well. We observed Capt. Brian at this spot with his fishing party as well. The first fish we hooked and caught was a 26 lb bull redfish. A great catch and a great way to start our fishing day. Unfortunately, from there on out it was nothing but smaller sharks. I don't even know how many we caught but it was probably around 15. That may sound good to some people but I had specifically told Capt. Cory before we left the dock that we were not interested in catching shark. My family and I had done this before on a local party boat when the kids were younger and now that we were spending a lot of money to charter this boat we wanted to catch some real fish. During our trip we spent the majority of time at this one popular spot and maybe 45 mins at another location, nearer to the dock. For the money spent on this excursion, neither myself nor my father-in-law (who is from Savannah, GA) were impressed with the trip. With 6 hrs and only really fishing one spot we both thought it was kind of lame. Did the kids have fun. Yes. We let them reel everything in. Did we have fun. Yes, because we were with family and on vacation. But with that said, if you are interested in catching smaller shark I would advise everyone to go with Capt. Hook charters. It is a party boat and you will most likely catch just as many sharks for a lot cheaper price. They also have other excursions that fish for other types of fish as well. I advise you to look into it.

3  Thank 2BigTunas
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for such a detailed review of your trip. I remember that day very well and I recall most of the action were sharks which I or Captain Cory have no control of what bites and I am willing to bet your 26 pound redfish was probably the fish of the day amongst all of the other charter boats that were fishing that spot as well. As you said you said " did we have fun.Yes, because we were with family and on vacation" why go on to complain about your trip when you said you had fun? I am sure many other families would have been thrilled to have your spot. I recommend you fish with another charter company next time.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My boys and I booked a trip with Off The Hook Charters for 7/18 /2013. While our trip was not as productive as we had hoped, I cannot find fault with captain Cory. My only complaint is that our first hour was spent finding bait for our fishing excursion. My expectations were that we would board our charter, head out and be ready to fish. We actually spent three hours fishing when we paid for four hours. I just believe this is something that could be improved upon.

2  Thank Jerry F
OffTheHookCharters, Owner at Off The Hook Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Unfortunately finding baitfish can be very difficult at times and I too and all of the other charters boats that day had a hard time finding the baitfish the morning of 7/18. The routine for all morning trips is to look and catch fresh bait and most time it is easy but sometimes due to weather and conditions it may be hard.