“Get Here Early”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
“Get Here Early”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We passed this restaurant while on a Gullah tour and decided to give it a try. Great low country menu and everything is super fresh. If you want the most options, get there early as dishes can run out. We had to come back the next day to try the fried alligator.

Visited March 2014

Kitchener, Canada
“Low country fare”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife and I wanted to try a Low Country restaurant and this proved to be a good choice.

My wife had an interesting vegetarian dish. The offering was plentiful and featured a large selection of different vegetables cooked as we imagine the Gullah of the region prefer.

I had fish and asked that it be broiled rather than fried. It was done perfectly!

The ambiance features large wall paintings of African Americans and local scenery. The furniture is plain wooden tables.

It's not a place for fine dining, but is a good evening meal.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“A New Favorite”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

On the recommendation of an Atlanta friend, we had lunch at Chef David's last week in Hilton Head. We loved the total authenticity of the low country food. My husband had the title dish (the roast fish) and it was not only delicious but also beautiful, served with a side of greens, mushrooms and squash. I had the crab cakes -- simply prepared with high-quality crab, pan-fried with some delicious homemade cocktail sauce (sriracha-like) and tartar sauce made with banana pepper. We really liked it and also appreciated the spirit of cultural preservation behind the chef's approach. The cornbread, which is made with sweet potato, is delicious, moist and almost like gingerbread. I ate mine for dessert.
We will be back.

Bluffton, South Carolina
“Great Low Country seafood”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I just got back from a great dinner at Chef David's Roastfish and Cornbread. The title dish was excellent. My wife loved the fish and shrimp platter. Our server Jason was great, very attentive. When he though we had waited more than we should have he comped us house salads. Manager Evan was also on top of our service, and it really wasn't a long wait for a fresh cooked excellent meal. I will be coming back.

Stanley, North Carolina, United States
“Mmmmm, the cornbread!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

The food seemed a little expensive, but in terms of taste and service, it was excellent! My wife had the BBQ shrimp po boy with mac and cheese and coleslaw, I had the grilled shrimp and oysters with mac and cheese and red and black beans. While the entrees were really tasty, the sides were tremendous. Best Mac and Cheese we have had in a long time, served southern style. None of this runny cheese stuff, just the right amount of cheese, butter and bread crumbs. Yum! But the best was yet to come. We had to wait for a few minutes for the cornbread, but it was worth the wait. We got a couple of pieces right out of the oven, and if you added whipped cream it could have been a dessert. Start with cornbread, add sweet potatoes, clove and perhaps cinnamon, and you have one tasty treat. Really tasty. We can't wait for next year to go back!

Visited March 2014