“Gulla cooking treat”

Chef David's Roastfish & Cornbread
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Chef David's menu is full of traditional Low Country Gullah food. The fish is fresh, the hush puppies are really tasty and the vegetables, especially the collard greens are outstanding. I sampled my wife's sweet potato fries and they were delicious.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited on March 12 @ 1:30. There were a few people waiting in the lobby when we walked in. A "hostess" finally showed up, but didn't right any names down, so not sure how she would know who was next for a table. She disappeared, then the owner / chef David showed up and started seating people and clearing tables. We got a table after a brief, but expected wait. David brought our drinks as well. Then we waited. And waited. Finally someone came and took our order after at least waiting for 15 minutes. The place was not packed (there were empty tables). The servers were more interested in compaining (which we could clearly hear from our table!), than in actually waiting on people. It was uncomfortable. Speaking of unconfortable, the chairs and overall "ambiance" are terrible. Not inviting at all. The place needs a serious deep cleaning. We waited 45 minutes for our food, which was just average - not worth the price for sure. While waiting for our meal, we could hear shouting from the kitchen. I don't know what the heck was going on, but I couldn't wait to leave! We literally had to flag down our server to pay our bill. The whole experience was absolutely terrible. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. TERRIBLE!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were looking forward to dining here because our previous visit had been good. This visit was not. They were already out of some items including the flounder and collards. The tilapia was almost tasteless and the sweet potato cornbread was dry. Service was fair at best. With so many good places to eat on the island, we probably won't be back.

1  Thank James S
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our first night on the island we tried Roastfish based on a recommendation from a friend. Our server was great and the atmosphere fine. We ordered four different entrees and three of us were disappointed. The shrimp and scallops came blackened, almost burned, rather than broiled; the whole fish special had a lot more bones than waitress led to believe and the seasonings were overpowering for that and the other fish entree. Three of us love collards but could not figure out the seasonings used and none of us cared for them. We have all had low country food before, but this was different, so it may be just a twist we did not care for. The hush puppies were good but sweet potato cornbread rather dense and dry. We shared a keyline pie for dessert and it was quite good. With all the options on HHI, would not return to this one.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This restaurant has been on my wishlist for month's. Thanks to a Living Social deal I had a bonus treat! Loved the ambiance and warm greeting from Shonda! The motif was an Island Tiki Hut feel. The menu inviting, I could not decide from the seafood trio, that included calamari and gator to a shrimp burger. I chose the shrimp burger and a side of fried oysters. You also get 2 sides with my choice! I was very pleased, a shrimp burger filled with shrimp lightly fried and cheese & mac, greens. Yum! I was so full! Our server Shondra treated us to some sweet potato cornbread! So good.....Next time I will get the trio! Same sides!