“We love this place”

Chef David's Roastfish & Cornbread
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Aldie, Virginia
“We love this place”
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

After 3 visits we thought we should rape this place on TripAdvisor. Does food has always been very good, the fresh crawfish gumbo was exceptional. We always recommend our guests visiting Roastfish.

Bluffton, South Carolina
“Unique! I don't know what else to say!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I like to adventure travel thru food. Have you ever eaten Ethiopian? I have here! Very good Jamacian Carribean food is the stadard but there are other good offerings to try. My friend has a scored flounder that was the best fish he ever ate. Get there early because at 5:30 the place is full.

Visited August 2012
Fort Stewart GA.
“Worth the Trip”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Was undecided on weather we should go and we were not disappointed. We had fish and chips with sweet potato cornbread (dessert) and shrimp/grits. All the food was well prepared and delicious. The only issue we have of Hilton SC? Were is the excellent Sweet tea? We have been here for 4 days and so far SC cannot make unsweetened or sweet tea to save there life.

• Visited December 2012
River Vale, New Jersey
“First Rate!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

You know how you get all those local restaurant guide books/papers, when you first arrive at your vacation destination? We did also.. and rifled through several .. picking out the places that sounded best for our taste buds each day. (We NEVER saw an ad for Roastfish and Cornbread Restaurant however). One day we picked out The Oyster Factory for lunch; I could eat MORE oysters, Right??! We pulled into their lot off Marshland Rd .. as I stepped out of the car, a waitress, coming to pick up her pay check, shouted, "it doesn't open until 4:45pm for dinner"....

So what to do now .. ?

We began to drive north up Marshland Rd, I guessed we'd spot another restaurant along the way, and in less than a mile, as I was passing by, a low lying sign shouted out to me, Roastfish and Cornbread!! Hey .. we never saw that before ... "YUM" .. I thought, and quickly turned the car around and headed back to it ... I parked under the trees and headed for the door. "Hmmm", I said to myself .. "this building 'looks' Mexican style with clay tiles on the roof and a door studded and surrounded by painted tiles?" .. and proceeded in to see what really was inside ...

As my eyes acclimated from the sunlight .. I stared at the walls!! The decor is psychodelic Mexican artist!! Hah, I thought, this is from the 60's! ... bright colors of the rainbow swirled around into scenes on the walls, like someone had tripped out while fingerpainting his delirious fantasy ... and IT WORKS here!!!

Why? Well .. with the brightness of the foods and the staccato delivery by our waiter, Kent, of his fishing experiences (he's really a charter captain of his own boat) and his brushstrokes regarding Chef David Young and his cooking prowess.. and the peppery tastes of the varied dishes ... it made it all come together ... a wonderful experience... wow!

I was in heaven ... lots of Gullah foods (as the chef is a Gullah descendant) and there were spices and mixes .. you could get most any kind of seafood, either Roasted, Broiled, Fried or Blackened!~ I chose the Seafood Platter, Fried ... oh yeah!! A HUGE PORTION of Shrimp, Oysters and Fish, served with a couple of dipping sauces, similar to tartar and red chili sauce ... WITH a small bowl of Brown and Red beans in a spicy sauce, along came homemade coleslaw and SWEET POTATO CORNBREAD!~!! All this along with some tasty house wines .. not the run of the mill .. FABULOUS!

Too bad it was our last day .. I would have come back DAILY!!! :-) DO NOT MISS "ROASTFISH and CORNBREAD" ... you'll be happy you tried it ...betcha!

ps .. ALL of the servers (3) were on top of their game .. very friendly, answered questions easily and were proud of the owner/chef and the foods they were serving. I don't blame them.

• Visited December 2012
Savannah, Georgia
“Sur-prize, Sur-prize, Sur-prize!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Some where on Trip Advisor, I was asked what is my favorite restaurant. Living in Savannah, I thought of all my favorite restaurant and I might say the Pirate House is at the top of my list, but as my taste buds had a flash back, I started to think about the little trip we made to Hilton Head where another couple from Florida had told us about. this restaurant. Roastfish and Cornbread??? What a funny name, I thought. "Sounds like a differenet kind of place, " I said. Surprisingly it was. When we arrived, I knew by the long line that it was going to be a good choice. You could tell by the look in everyone's eyes that they were anticipating something good. The colorful decor brought happiness and excitement to me as my taste buds danced around with the expectation of good food. SUR-PRIZE! The food was excellent...so good, I can't remember what I had....other than the collards and the mac and cheese. I sampled from my husband's plate and everything was delicious. I must of had some type of seafood, but what I do know....I had no complaints. I am still saying sur-prize....sur-prize......sur-prize (Gomer Pyle style) for the old schoolers....... and I'm not even from the south.

• Visited September 2012