“Great clay courts, but watch out for smoke on courts 7 and 8”

Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center
Ranked #23 of 118 things to do in Hilton Head
More attraction details
Owner description: The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center is ranked the #1 tennis resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine and is currently ranked #9 in the world by Tennis Resorts Online. Featuring 23 clay and 2 Nova ProBounce courts, 6 of which are lighted for night play, the tennis center is open year round and also hosts a variety of tournament throughout the year. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center staff consists of the area's top pros who offer lessons and clinics to adults and juniors of all ages and skill levels. Enjoy seasonal complimentary activities and the island's largest tennis pro shop at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We looked for a place that has clay courts on the island and with the crazy number of courts on the island, you have a few places to choose from. We are glad we ended up at Palmetto Dunes, the place is beautiful. But don't plan to show up and play in just a shorts and t-shirt, everyone seems to be wearing official tennis gear. The court conditions were great, however if you are on courts 7 or 8 (clay courts), beware that there is a huge smoker that is used to cook food at the General Store which is nearby and depending on the whether there is wind or not it can be overwhelming. This place is beautiful and I will definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Palmetto Dunes Tennis & Pickleball Center

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was my first visit to this tennis facility.
Before committing to any services I began seeking out classes at my level over a few days to see what I could expect, I am a 4.0+ doubles player.

There were several scheduled clinics/classes for the Intermediate to Advanced player, USTA 3.5+ level but most of the players observed in these were at the 3.5 level with a few 3.0's sprinkled in. Because of this, all instruction was centered to those levels only so I did not sign up.

I talked to the several of the employees in the pro-shop about this, they apologized and said I should consider taking a private lesson. It was a bit frustrating at that point.

The facility was busy my two weeks there and a tournament the last week filled almost all of the courts. Parking was a hugh problem during the tournament so heads up. Court fees were pricy averaging $30 an hour and a walk on rate of $20 from noon to 4pm, so practicing your serve alone might not be an option. There are few public parks in the area that have courts where you can hit or play, I went to one and it was very nice. Ball machine rentals are also too much.

Overall, a nice place for tennis. There were some decent players during a tournment and a few taking private lessons and it was nice to be around the atmosphere generated by this facility. The downside was the lack of any scheduled 4.0 and above clinics/classes. I checked at the tennis facility in Shipyard and they did have a morning clinic for the 4.0 to 5.5 player but a lot of those sessions were postphoned during my stay because of a Womens Pro Tournament there.

I ended up taking two private lessons here a few days apart. I had the same Pro for both sessons and he corrected a few things; improvement was immediatate. I was guided through several gradiants to a point of achieving a higher level of proper mechanics and stroke production, I was very happy with the results.

I would recommend this facility based on its merits of being a lively, up tempo and dedicated tennis environment, however, it would have been nice to have some clinics/classes set up to accomodate the 4.0+ levels, I would have taken a lot more instruction. A Very Good Rating would have been given if there were some better choices and fees.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

After five days of around five hours of tennis each day, I had just about gotten my fill! The staff is lovely, the courts well kept, the pro shop chock full of anything and everything. Jackie directed an excellent tournament. The round robin earlier in the week was great fun, the clinics, most helpful. Excellent - five star+

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were entered in a Banana Tournament and came up for the weekend. It was well run, nicely laid out, and an excellent tennis shop filled with ladies wear. The facility is located within a 4 minute walk from the Marriott Resort and Spa which made it really convenient for us. The tennis was excellent, the tournament well run and we noticed some very fine instruction going on in adjacent courts. I'd be interested in going back for clinics some time based on what we had seen.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

While in HH for the week I wanted an opportunity to get back to the game. The daily drills were an excellent opportunity to do so. I dropped in for the second hour on the second day and didn't miss a beat. Michael was personable and an excellent instructor. The courts were very nice. I'll be back again next time around!