“Just an OK refuge”

Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #5 of 117 things to do in Hilton Head
More attraction details
Owner description: Encompassing four islands and 4,000 acres, the refuge aims to preserve and protect endangered natural habitats and species. At 1,200 acres, Pinckney is the largest of the refuge's islands and the only one open to the public.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Just an OK refuge”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I've been to a lot of wildlife refuges and Pinckney Island NWR is just OK compared to most. It seemed to be a lot of walking without very much to see. In fact, some of the best bird finds were when I got off the trail and looked at the water areas. I don't think I'll be hurrying back to Pinckney Island NWR the next time I'm in Hilton Head, which is too bad because it's really convenient.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank gdadtraveling

Marion, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“May trip 2014”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Quiet and peaceful. A lot of birds nesting. A large area to walk and take pictures of the wildlife. Wear your walking shoes.

Oak Park, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful birds everywhere! Very difficult if you are handicapped!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Although I only got as far as the first pond, I saw lots and lots of birds (many that I'd never seen before)!
I am physically challenged (MS). We were required to park at the entry and walk the rest of the way. The road was uneven and much of it in the sun, so for me, it was very difficult to get to the first lake. Had it not been for my boyfriend's help, I wouldn't have seen anything! No one works there so we couldn't ask to park our car closer to the lake where we could see the birds. There are no benches (anywhere) so I couldn't stop and rest along the way. Luckily, my boyfriend brought a folding chair along so that I could rest out of the sun periodically.
Although I was extremely tired at the end of my visit, I was happy that I got to see at least some of the refuge!

1 Thank Patricia123444
Atlanta, Georgia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Love walking here!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We always enjoy walking through the refuge every time we come to HH. It is very peaceful, large, and offers great views of nature, plants, and wildlife! We only wish we had bikes to ride here (so we could get around quicker).

Philadelphia, PA USA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great bike and hike trails”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Although the trails are unpaved, they are packed gravel and we had no issues with our road bikes. It's a beautiful half-day excursion. USF&W does a great job with interpretive signage and maintenance.