“Excellent lunch”

The Skull Creek Boathouse
Ranked #20 of 374 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Hilton Head Island’s landmark, waterfront dining destination is The Skull Creek Boathouse. Located waterfront on Skull Creek, you’ll enjoy beautiful views whether you choose to dine indoors on the porch or fireside Dive Bar or outdoors on the waterfront deck. The outside Buoy Bar serves up colorful sunset views daily along with the freshest original drinks.So bring your family, bring your friends, bring yourself to Skull Creek Boathouse – One bite & you’re hooked!
Grovetown, Georgia
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Visited restaurant for lunch on a Friday. Place was crowded and waited about 15 minutes for a table - could have been seated earlier but we wanted one of the outside tables. We had peel and eat shrimp as an appetizer, cooked to perfection. My wife had fried shrimp with seafood chowder, and I had half a shrimp po boy sandwich and seafood chowder. Food was great and service very good. Will definitely go back!!!

Covington, Georgia
“Great seafood!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Swordfish Speeding is delicious and filling! Mojotos are some of the best around. Inside of restaurant is very open, so it can get quite loud inside. Fun vacation spot, though. My family goes back each time we go to HHI.

Visited February 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the top 3 restaurants on the island”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We absolutely love the Skull Creek Boathouse...so much that we went twice when being in town for a week. First, my husband and I took our best friends and 2 kids along with my parents. We got a great table and only waited about 30min because we got there at 5pm. If you haven't been before, you can wait hours to get a food and may not be able to find parking if you get there at 6 or later. Even at 3 or 4pm it is busy given how great the food and view is. We all enjoyed the fresh seafood, sushi, rice bowls, oysters and hush puppies!! We stayed the first time to see the sunset over the horizon which was perfect. Also, there is a sandbox and chalk for the kids to play with which made the wait go much quicker. The 2nd time we visited was for lunch before going to Savannah for our plane. Our server in the bar was excellent, possibly because we were his only table but either way, he had a great sense of humor and the food was good as always!!

This is an excellent restaurant for all kinds of occasions (families with small children, couples or large groups). If you are visiting Hilton Head or have been there many times, you should definitely stop by and keep this great restaurant busy!!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Shelliu
Hilton Head, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No place like it on Hilton Head!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

First of all... Wow! What a view! Breath taking water views are just the start of this restaurant experience. If you have kids, you will be happy to know they have plenty of kid friendly activities- there are Legos, hoopla hoops, a sand box, side walk chalk and the like all outside near the dining tables for your children to enjoy while waiting for a table or during dinner if you want to take a break while waiting for your food etc. Also, all kids menus come with crayons and a coloring activity menu; also all kids menu choices earn your Children a coin which can be cashed in for a small toy by the hostess station. We all know how challenging it can be to go out to eat with children, how wonderful to have a place that offers so many great things for children!!!
I got the Grouper Imperial and it was out of this world. A filet of fresh grouper topped with a delicious homemade lemon butter sauce then topped with crab imperial stuffing. My daughter got the kids shrimp and celery & carrot sticks- she inhaled it in no time!
One great thing about this restaurant is there is something for everyone. I am a true food lover and look over the menu well. I was impressed to see so many healthy choices as well as things to indulge in. You could be a family of 6 and one person who is vegetarian, one person who is gluten free , and one person who loves fried everything can all be happy because- woe! The menu is so huge!
Also, if you like good beers they have a great selection, such as Dog Fish 90 and Sweet Water 420 on tap (I'm an IPA fan).
There was a bit of a wait so we opted to sit at the 'Dive Bar' which was first available- a sushi bar right inside the restaurant. Alex & Jesus making the Sushi made us feel right at home and David & Mackenzkie gave us friendly, prompt service.
Kid friendly, pristine water views, outstanding food, good service- what more could you ask for?
My daughter and I

1 Thank DaphneEmilie
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Neat atmosphere, average food”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We (my husband, one year old son, and my parents) stopped here after a boat ride, in fact we docked right at the restaurant. Decided to try it after a local recommended it to us. Parking at the dock ended up being a good idea as the parking seemed insane there (they had an assembly line of valet parkers). Which only tells me the parking is a little bit of an issue here as it's always busy. We arrived just after 5:30 and we hit it at the right time before it got really packed. As many have said here before, GO EARLY!

We were all pretty hungry and a bit overwhelmed by the menu as there's lots to choose from. My mom and I wanted to order two dishes that we could share just so we could sample more from the menu. The server made a few recommendations to us based on the few things we were between. Overall, what he recommended to us was so-so. We both like tilapia and he tried to recommend a more local fish, Tilefish, (which I welcome, as I'm not familiar yet with the area and wanted to try new things), however the Tilefish that we ordered was not what I had in mind and not to our liking (tasted more like cod, and I only like cod in a fish'n'chips meal). So we were slightly disappointed.

We also got crab cakes to split, which were good but not the "best I've ever had."

The atmosphere is great for both family and couples a like, there's a great outside bar and outdoor seating (although be prepared to wait awhile if you really have your heart set on sitting outside). I would say the atmosphere here is really what draws people and towards the evening hours it really is a beautiful setting, however I was hoping the food would be a little bit better. Their WiseGuys restaurant has better food compared to here, in my opinion. Although, we'll probably go back to try this place again and in that event I'll likely order something else.

• Visited April 2014