“Nice, relaxing week in Hilton Head”

Hilton Head Island Beach & Tennis Resort
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I just spent the week at one of the tennis villas. 2-bedrooms, 2 full baths, full kitchen, living/ding area and a small porch. Clean, quiet, well-kept. Most of the resort bars and restaurants were closed for the winter with the exception of Coconutz. They have a huge pool which was still warm enough to swim in and a beautiful wide beach. Plus a ton of tennis courts if you are interested in that. Bike rentals can be made on the resort. Highly recommend doing that!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris P
KCHHI, Manager at Hilton Head Island Beach & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Chris,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. Our location and proximity to the beach is hard to beat.

You are right, out pool is huge. In fact it is the largest oceanfront pool here on Hilton Head. I am glad you enjoyed the pool during your stay.

With all our amenities which include pools, restaurants, tennis courts, bike rentals, and of course the ocean there is always something to do.

We hope to see you again real soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I'm writing this review, although I stayed at the Beach and Tennis Resort, eleven months ago. At the time, it had spacious rooms, with a well-stocked kitchen, and was adjacent-to the great beach, oceanfront. I had NO problems with the room, and the restaurant (adjoining) was very fine, also.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jhb134
KCHHI, Manager at Hilton Head Island Beach & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your belated review. We are thrilled that you decided to write a review even if your stay was last year. Our location here is wonderful, we are as you point out oceanfront and it is not as crowded as some of the other beaches here on the island. What better way to relax than being oceanfront and having access to the oceanfront pool as well. We hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

When we arrived it was at night around midnight and we found that our room door was open and all the lights on. Plus the door looked like it was once jimmied open so I immediately went to the security desk. They went in the room looked around and said that the cleaning crew must have left it open and left. That did not make us feel safe at all. The next morning I went to the front desk and the lady told me the same but made no offer to move us or anything. If not for a nice lady who works on the property we would have been overlooked. She called and called and ordered maintenance to come over. On that afternoon I got a call from a lady named Monica who is the manager and she offered to move us. Other than that it is an amazing property. landscape in pretty and the ocean is right next door. Also had some problem with kids running the halls on the wood floors but that what kids do so it was ok.

1  Thank Otis J

Dear Otis,

I am so sorry that your door was left open upon your arrival. We do everything in our power to make all our guests feel safe and secure here. That is why we have security here 24 hours a day. I remember we investigated to find an answer to why the front door was not shut all the way. After we had talked to everybody including security, maintenance, cleaning company and the inspector we came to the conclusion that the inspector forgot to turn off the lights and did not lock the door securely upon leaving. I was more than happy to move you to a different villa, but I understand that you were already unpacked and did not want to move again. I do hope you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and had a chance to take advantage of our beautiful pool and beach here. Next time you come please call me directly and I will make sure that everything is in order for your arrival.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

First of all, if you visit this resort, don't expect lavish accommodations, and you won't be nearly as disappointed. I did my research, and I knew this place was somewhat dated. However, we were looking for an affordable place to stay at the beach that provided the same amenities as a condo, but that had restaurants, pool, and tennis like a hotel. The resort had all of those things. However, our villa (despite being described as a "gold" level villa which is supposed to be a really nice/updated one) was definitely lacking in several ways. The outside of the villas are looking a little shabby, and the smell as soon as you walk up to your door is "musty." The carpet outside in the halls is stained and smelly. The inside of our villa was musty as well. It was also really dusty with some malfunctioning fixtures (bathroom faucet/lamps), minimal glassware (no wine glasses), stained blankets/shower curtain, an outdated TV, and NO TV in the one bedroom. However, we're always prepared. We had disinfecting wipes, candles, and plenty of items from home to make the place our own, which it became after a few days! We also had a big cockroach that welcomed us as soon as we walked in! We called, and the front desk said they recently sprayed, so that was probably the reason for the half-dead insect in the floor. And, in their defense, we were on the first floor with our balcony facing the woods, so I'm willing to give them a pass on that, and we did not see any more after that. Due to the smell and excessive amount of dust on everything, we checked the air filter. I bet that it had not been changed in 10 years!! They gladly came out and changed it. With that change, the candles, the immediate opening of the balcony doors as soon as we arrived, and the use of the ceiling fans, we had the musty smell gone in about a day. We didn't use any of the blankets. All the sheets were clean, so we just used those. The bathroom wallpaper was peeling, and so on and so forth...But, on to the the good points! We loved being able to cook our own meals while we were there. The stove, dishwasher, refrigerator all worked well (no icemaker though). The location is great. There are plenty of tennis courts, a restaurant, a sports bar, and a great little tiki bar right by the pool. We stayed in the Ocean Villas which were just steps from the boardwalk that led to the huge pool, tiki bar, and the beach. They have bike rentals to get around the resort. The security is tight--so we felt very safe on the grounds at all times. And, lastly the price is unbeatable. $99/night. So, for that price, you can't expect a 5 star resort! I've heard that renting the villas from the owners on VRBO is better because you can actually see the villa before you rent. However, this was a "same day" trip, so the owner we contacted VRBO would not let us due to short notice. We just called and rented from the resort sight unseen. I really wouldn't have minded the villa's " decorative imperfections" if everything would have been clean and in working order. So, with all that being said, would I go back? Believe it or not, yes, I probably would! But, I would try to rent from VRBO first. The location, access to pool/beach and restaurants are all reasons that I would return. Plus, everyone there was very nice. :)

Room Tip: Ocean Villas are closest to the beach!
3  Thank Leslie J

Dear Leslie,

I agree with you we have great amenities here including tennis, 2 pools, easy walk to beach, bike rentals and restaurants. You will be happy to hear that the carpets in the Ocean Villa corridor are all being replaced by wood. That will make it much easier to clean and that musty smell in the corridors will be gone. All the villas here are privately owned. Some owners update their villa more often than others. I would highly recommend that you visit our website, where we have pictures of all our villas before making your next reservation. If you need any help making your reservation, or have questions on any of the villas please call us directly.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here in a privately owned villa in building 3 for three nights and booked our vacation through Vacationrentals,com. Overall we enjoyed our stay. One of our favorite parts of our stay here was the boardwalk that takes you to the ocean. The marsh that is located in between the villa's and the beach is full of interesting wildlife to see. We felt very safe here during our stay and if and when we travel south we would definitely look at staying here again.

1  Thank hollyo28
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a villa with view of a lagoon, so you have privacy on your balcony. The beach and other activities are a very short walk away through the tropical resort. There is also a fun sports bar on-site that is a great option when you do not want to drive to go out!

Room Tip: Book through VRBO.com, Lagoon View Villa.
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Dennis N
KCHHI, Manager at Hilton Head Island Beach & Tennis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for your great review. The Tennis Villas do have a great view of the lagoon. I am sure you agree that sitting on the balcony enjoying your breakfast is the perfect way to start the day. I am glad that you and your family had a great time at the beach. Hopefully you had a chance to visit the pool as well. CocoNutz Sports Bar has great food as well as being a fun place to hang out in. Please come back and visit us again.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have really enjoyed our stay. Our place was very clean, not musty smelling, and very close to the beach. Restaurants and bar on site. We weren't far from places for "excursions" yet far enough that we weren't in congested areas. Very reasonably priced and gated community, so safe!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and there is no elevator. Fine for us, but not for elderly or handicapped...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Bob,

We love hearing our guests enjoying themselves here at the Resort. All the villas are a short walk to the beach, pool and restaurants. I hope you had a chance to visit some of our restaurants while you were here. I agree having our 24 hour security is a great benefit. Hope to see you again.