“Great place to stay on HHI”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great place to stay on HHI”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I recently visited with our 3.5 year old daughter for the weekend. We were extremely impressed. The room was very large, clean, and modern. The pool facilities were beautiful, and there was easy access to the beach. Although public, the beach was quiet and relatively uncrowded. The staff could NOT have been more pleasant and helpful. We would strongly consider returning here for another vacation.

Green Features: We were given the option to forgo housekeeping services for a credit and they also offered recycling.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank erinbsc
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a great place to stay on Hilton Head Island and that your family was extremely impressed with the guest room and our facilities. Delighted that you enjoyed our spectacular beach that many guests report is the best beach location on Hilton Head Island. We especially appreciate knowing that our staff was pleasant and helpful as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming your family for another relaxing vacation in the near future.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I think I can add some perspective to this hotel because during my stay in HHI, I also checked into the Sonesta. So I went from the Westin one day to the Sonesta the next. Anyway, before I go into those differences let me start with how absolutely fabulous the renovation is! Very obvious the money was spent on noticeable items like updated floors, lighting and aesthetic decoration. It is beautiful. My King room had a mini fridge, robe, top notch toiletries, a lit small mirror in bathroom, a full length mirror in 2 locations in the room. I was happy. I didn't get the best view in the resort but from my room 3049, I got a little peek of the ocean through the trees.
I am not a breakfast person so I really appreciated the little cafe in the lobby where I could get a latte and a cup of fruit. I would take this outside to enjoy the grounds. The outdoor premises of this hotel are what really separate it from the rest of the resorts in the area. They have 3 lagoon style pools, a huge hot tub area, lots of cushioned chairs and oversized chaise lounges for the guests to soak up the sun and relax. There are servers galore to bring your order of food or drink either to your sunning locale or to one of many nook, shaded sitting areas on the property. An ocean view bar serves drinks and food and a poolside restaurant serving poolside basics. If the beach is your thing, just take a short walk on the path and for $11 the beach lady will setup your chair and foot stool wherever you'd like. If you commit to coming the 2nd day the price decreases to $8, (it's slightly more if you opt for the umbrella but I am a sun worshipper). I left my family at home this trip and was solo. I felt like I could disappear at this resort. It was comfortable and private. I hated to leave but they were sold out Saturday so I checked into Sonesta. I will write my review of Sonesta on their tripadvisor page but let me just leave you with this. The Westin is not only superior in their decor, amenities and service but also in the "feeling". To me a resort stay is about a feeling you get when you are a guest. I was filled with peace and happiness at The Westin. It was luxurious and welcoming, private yet festive with the beachy atmosphere. It made me feel like I was somewhere far away, not somewhere that I had driven 5 hours from my home city. I didn't leave the hotel for the 2 days I was there except to attend the wedding I had been invited to. I enjoyed it so much. At The Sonesta, I was disappointed because it didn't give me that same feeling. I felt like it was a definite nice hotel, with good beds, linens, etc. There were no toiletries in the room. Rather big shampoo, conditioner and body wash pumps in the shower. No bath in my room, no robe, no full length or lit mirror, no in room movies. It was just different and not in a good way. The pool area was filled with normal sunning chairs, one huge pool, not many lush trees for privacy. Anyway, I'll write more on my Sonesta review but my advice is definitely choose The Westin. It is by far the best hotel in HHI and I cannot wait to return and bring my entire family for a vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel,(The back being the beach).
Green Features: Very Green hotel. Will offer you Starwood points or money to spend at resort if you choose not to have the housekeepers change your linens each day.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CHSgrl
Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback on why The Westin is simply the best hotel on Hilton Head Island. We appreciated your favorable comments on our recently renovated resort being comfortable and private and are glad you really enjoyed the outside courtyard and beach environment. We look forward to your next visit for a family escape in the future.
Alpharetta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Excellent hotel and spa facility with comfortable rooms, great food and friendly atmosphere. The hotel is right on the beach and has sun loungers etc. Rooms are well equipped with plenty of power outlets and the wifi worked really well. Large flat screen TV in my room. Good sized bathroom with great shower.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view. Small balcony but great to sit outside in the morning and enjoy t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ian L
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is an excellent hotel and that you enjoyed the Heavenly Spa. Delighted to know that you liked our oceanfront location and comfortable guest rooms, baths, and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
westchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

In August we visited hilton head for a long weekend trip with friends and their teenage children. We had a great time. So much to do on the resort. The pools are landscaped to give a lush relaxing feel. The pool furniture was very comfortable. I think everyone ended up napping at some point by the pool. The renovated rooms are georgeous. Our friends made a mistake on their departure date and wanted to stay another day. Even during a very busy time the front desk staff managed by Chris, were able to help and get our friends rooms!!! Our friends are already asking about doing the trip again next year! The staff of the hotel are always smiling and friendly. Can not wait for my return visit in a few weeks.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank rbvny
Thank you for sharing that yoru recent trip to The Westin was amazing. Delighted to know that your visit with friends was great and that everyone thoroughly enjoyed the resort amenities and gorgeous guest rooms. I was glad to know that Chris was able to provide personal assistance and ensure your friends were well cared for related to extending their stay. We look forward to your return in the near future for another rejuvenating and renewing stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed after labor so we had plenty of room in the pools. There were plenty of chairs in the sun, and we were able to rent beach chairs. Our view was fantastic. Only problem we had was the restaurants. If you are super fancy and love crazy things on your food you'll be fine. We however do not and had a hard time finding something normal to eat. We ended up ordering pizza to be delivered on the last day because we were in need of normal food. Other than that everything was great. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MIVIDALOCA03
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a beautiful resort in a great location. We were delighted that you enjoyed the resort amenities and fantastic ocean views. We do have numerous food & beverage restaurants available throughout the resort with extensive offerings, and I am sorry we did not meet your needs in this regard. Please know that our culinary team would have honored any special requests or needs you may have had to ensure your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another rejuvenating and relaxing stay.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am a long time Starwood travller, and am accustomed to the comforts of a Westin. I have come to find though, that there is a major differentiating factor among Starwood properties - and that is service.

Katie at the front desk was the nicest and most helpful staff member I have encountered in many years now, and with an average of 50 nights stayed over the past 7 years I have extensive experience. She gave us great tips, assisted immediatley when we had an issue with the room, and went out of her way to make sure we were happy and settled in.

But not just her provided great service. The wait staff at breakfast, the pool side servers, the maids, the bellmen - everyone was curteous and helpful.

5 stars for service, and whoever is managing this staff (and Katie) deserves a promotion.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deron E
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your perspetive that The Westin is an excellent resort. We were delighted that our staff was able to impress you with courteous and top notch service; especially your comments on Katie being very helpful and ensuring you were well cared for. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing and rejuvenating stay.
Clayton NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Was at the hotel the week of September 9 and the hotel met every expectation! The recent renovations to the hotel has made the hotel top notch! The pool area has extensive decking area with several pools. You can be in the middle of activity or quiet and restful with a pool to suit your choice. Self parking is the way to go. The underground parking garage has plenty of spaces and good elevator location to hotel lobby. The room (we had ocean view) was a pleasant size, clean and quiet at night. There were really nothing but upsides to this property!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa W
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is an excellent hotel that met all your expectations. We were delighted that you liked our recent renovations including the guest room and outside deck and pool areas. We hope that you will return in the near future for another renewing stay.