“My favoriate Beachfront Hotel on Hilton Head Now a New 5 Star Property”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“My favoriate Beachfront Hotel on Hilton Head Now a New 5 Star Property”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I first discovered this property in 2008. To me, it's always been a solid SPG category 4 property because of it's beach front location. ( Also a popular Wedding venue apparently...I've seem at least 6-7 weddings take place there). However, the property was a bit dated and worn. I think they started a renovation project 2 years ago. Last year, I purposely avoided coming here due to all the ongoing constructions. Now the renovation is complete, I'm so thrilled to revisit and witness the amazing transformation. IT'S GORGEOUS!!! I am a SPG Gold member, so over Labor day weekend, I was upgraded to an ocean view room( newly renovated) on the 4th floor. We watched the sun rise from the balcony. Amazing. The pool, koi pond and fire pits were beautifully done/redone. There were also a number of noticeable updates throughout the resort, such as the new furniture, lobby area, updated coffee shop, new dining options, and resort store. I highly recommend this hotel and I can't wait to visit soon. I only wish they would bring back the Turtle bar( where Oceans is now). I miss the gigantic nacho platter+ other munchies they use to serve there. There are some good dinning choices on the property. They are fairly expensive, so you might want to venture out 2-3 miles to give yourself more options. The coffee shop in the lobby has some good salads and sandwiches for about 1/2 the cost of the offerings at their sit-down restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor and Ocean view upgrade, if you are SPG member.
2 Thank 643ccm
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is your favorite beachfront hotel on Hilton Head Island. Delighted to know that, as one of our valued SPG Gold Members, you enjoyed our transformed and renovated resort which is now gorgeous. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
- Jeff Waddell, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friends and I took the kids on a Labor Day Wknd getaway. We all had the most amazing time at this resort. It makes such a difference when you see that the staff is happy. Every service from reception to housekeeping to wait staff had a positive and helpful attitude. The cleanliness and the pride in which you keep every spec of the resort is notable. They make sure to keep all guests entertained with easy listening live music at outdoor bar/lounge, which overlooks the 3 pools and amazing ocean view, and add a ping pong table, free snow cones, free s'mores over their exterior fire-pit tables to the fun. My friend requested a balcony and was told that every room has a balcony. The rooms are spacious, beds are big and comfortable and bathrooms have been fully renovated from top to bottom. You will love the 2 sinks and beautiful luxury of updates throughout.

Green Features: All rooms have recycle bins and Starwood offers you a $5 per day coupon if you do not need room service. We didn't need service the first night so the kids enjoyed $10 for sodas and snacks at the lobby cafe!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MissThang2013
Thank you for sharing that you had a "heavenly" experience at The Westin over the Labor Day Holiday weekend with your friends. Delighted to know you had an amazing tme and that you enjoyed the guest room and luxurious upgrades throughout the resort as well as the activities. We also appreciate knowing that you experienced a staff that was happy with a positive and helpful attitude as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another rejuvenating and renewing stay.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Being at The Westin was like a little slice of heaven! The rooms were beautiful. The service was awesome. The food was great and I even got to see a beautiful wedding poolside!
There were no complaints. Lots for the kids to do and for the moms! We actually never left the resort all weekend because there was so much to do right at the resort!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stacy L
Thank you for sharing that The Westin Resort is spectacular and that you enjoyed our beautiful guest rooms, great food, as well as the numerous activities available for children. Delighted that the service you received was awesome as it is always our intent for our guests to feel well cared for and special. We hope you will return soon for another rejuvenating stay.
Hughesville, Maryland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed at this property for a second time .The hotel is nice and the grounds are large. Loved the updated rooms. Had a great meal at Oceans. We were traveling with newborn and the waiter observed she was sleep and brung two towels for us to lay her on the booth seating. He also created a fruit punch drink when we inquired about it on the menu.Excellent service by the staff . Will return in the future.

1 Thank Felicia W
Thank you for sharing that The Westin is a beautiful resort and that you love our updated guest rooms. We are delighted to know that you had a great meal at Oceans, and that the waiter ensured your family was well cared for while dining. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for a third renewing visit.
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband, 4 year old son and I spent Labor Day weekend at the Westin Hilton Head. I am a Starwood Platinum member so I have been to several Starwood properties (mostly St. Regis and Westin). I was very impressed with the Westin Hilton Head, both in its appearance and ammenities as well as its service.

The first and only disappointment I experienced was with pre-arrival. We were booked in a king room and I had requested a rollaway bed for my son. I know that they usually do not look at the notes until check-in and we were going to be arriving very late in the evening. On the morning of our arrival, I called the front desk and spoke with a young lady, explaining that I wanted to have the rollaway placed in our room in advance of our arrival so I would not have to stand around carrying my sleeping toddler when we arrived and had to wait for the rollaway bed. My room had already been assigned in the system (thanks to a complimentary upgrade), so she already knew my room number. She promised me that should would immediately contact housekeeping and have the bed put in the room. Well, we got there after 10pm and exactly what I was hoping to not experience happened. The bed had not been put in our room and we had to wait for 30 minutes to have one brought up. This was tremendously frustrating since this was exactly what my call that morning sought to prevent.

Alas, I move on. We had a very warm welcome and the bellman put all of our luggage on a cart and patiently waited for us to check-in. Check-in was smooth and pleasant. I was very appreciative of the Platinum perks of free valet parking, breakfast (in lieu of the 500 points), no resort fee, and late checkout.

Breakfast was fine. I read a review below with someone complaining about the food and the service at breakfast. I am extremely picky about food and service and I have no clue what that reviewer is talking about. There were tons of fresh fruit, including raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries (a nice addition to the usual strawberry, melon, pineapple options at most hotels). The omelets were good and there were a variety of other options available.

The renovations by the pool are excellent. Tons of lounge chairs all around. Only problem is this incessant seat saving. It appears that a member of every family or group goes down to the pool at opening and places towels on a ton of lounge chairs for their entire party. And then, they go back to bed or breakfast or whatever. All I know is when we got to the pool at 9:30am, there were no "available" chairs yet only 20% were occupied. We made do on some circular couch by the koi pond but decided to rent a cabana for the following days. I was not interested in playing that game. The cabanas were great. Nice lounge chairs, a fridge, a fan, and a TV. We stayed at ours the entire day.

The poolside service was good and very prompt.

If you are not traveling with children, this resort may present some challenges for you. There are 3 pools and a hot tub. Kids pretty much rule all of them. Although this worked for my purposes, I could see adult guests wanting a "quiet" or "adult" pool. Not here.

The service from everyone we encountered was outstanding (bellman, front desk, wait staff,
and pool concierge).

I can think of two areas of improvement. First is HD television. The rooms have these fantastic large flat screen tvs and then channels with static. Second is reevaluating the Kids Camp. We have been to some resorts with some outstanding kids programs. This one was sorely lacking. The number one sign of this is the fact that no children were signed up for the 6-10pm Kids Night Out evenings. At other resorts we have been to, the kids are begging their parents to send them there. Parents are happy to oblige as this gives them a chance to have a quiet adult dinner. Not one child, all weekend long. I think this is partially to do with price, $20 per hour is far too expensive. Even the Ritz-Carlton is cheaper. Families with more
than one child are NEVER going to utilize it. Also, the staff were nice and professional, but did not endear themselves to the children during the days. At other resorts we have been to, staff from the Kids Club would walk around the pool, introducing themselves to families, learn the names of the children, and try to get the children involved in some of the on-site activities. Here, the Kids Club staff just sat in the empty club waiting . . .

Our son had a great time regardless but was definitely disappointed by the lackluster kids program.

Nothing will take away from the amazing and restful weekend we had at the Westin Hilton Head. We will most certainly return as I trust that the property will address some of these concerns going forward.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LawGirlATL
Thank you for sharing that you had a perfect long weekend at The Westin with your family during the Labor Day Holiday weekend. We especially appreciate the perceptions of our valued Starwood Platinum members. We are glad to know you had a pleasant arrival. and that you enjoyed the food and service you experienced. We are very sorry that the rollaway bed was not in place on your arrival, which was an isolated incident, and this has been reviewed with our team for corrective action. We do have a policy in place to remove personal items from unused pool chairs after 30 minutes of vacancy, and are sorry with the extremely busy sold out weekend that availability was limited. Delighted that you enjoyed our new cabanas with nice amenities. Your comments on the televisions and Kids Camp are being reviewed further, and future improvements are already underway. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another memorable family vacation.
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We compared this to our time share in Maui & love it! We'll certainly be returning! Jamie was one of the servers at the pool who helped with chairs & took excellent care of us calling us by name! We requested a room at check in that had a view of the ocean & the staff did her best to accommodate us. The amenities around the pool, the comfort of the chaise lounges, access to the beach were all above our expectations.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Cara3346
Thank you for sharing that The Westin was wonderful and that you had a first class experience at our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed an ocean view, the poolside amenities, and easy beach access. Delighted to know that Jamie ensured you were well cared for as our associates always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing stay.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We paid extra for a ocean view but there is no way you could see the ocean without falling off the balcony. Service at the front desk was terrible. Hotel is pet friendly so the bed you sleep in could have been used by a couple of dogs the night before.

4 Thank josephwrj
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin. We were disappointed to learn that you did not believe you received the proper room type. We do have many room categories including ocean front, ocean view, ocean or resort view, and island view, and we always attempt to provide the guest with the room type reserved. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced, and had we known there was an issue, we would have tried to resolve it promptly. We are also sorry you did not have proper service at the front desk which is being reviewed further by our team. You are correct that Westin Hotels & Resorts is a pet friendly brand, and we do permit small dogs in our resort. We do have the Heavenly Dog Bed as well as additional amenities for dogs available for guests with a pet. After these guests depart the resort, we have an extensive cleaning protocol for the guest room they occupy to ensure the room is in top notch condition for the next arriving guest. We hope that you will return in the future so that we may meet and exceed your expectations at that time.