“Now it feels like a Westin!”

The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We have stayed here 3 times in the last 9 months. We just got back today from a rainy weekend here. The hotel appears to have been completely renovated since we were last there in October. In October I would have given this location a 2. The bar service was horrible. The carpet was stained and the rooms were old and tired. Everything appeared old and haggard. NOW, this gets a 4. The rooms are fabulous. Small reading lights directly over your head. New furniture, new patio furniture, new carpet, new bathroom floor. Updated bathroom fixtures. We were in a non-ocean front room…1043. I was a little concerned about being on the first floor, but it was nice. It had a view of some woods and if you leaned way to the left you could see a small part of the ocean. We could hear the ocean from our room. This hotel has long, long halls. This room is about 1/2 way down the left hall. If you have a close to the ocean front room it is a long walk from the lobby. The parking is under the hotel which is nice because it rained all weekend and we didn't get wet going to the car. The garage is a little cramped feeling, but it was fine. The front desk staff was nice. We didn't eat in the hotel. We like the location of this hotel in Port Royal. It is near many restaurants. McDonalds and Walmart are close. Sea Pines is about 10-15 minute drive. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk a mile to your room, let them know when you reserve. Ocean front view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

We are thrilled with our newly renovated resort, and are delighted you found the guest rooms fabulous during your recent visit and that you also like the convenient location of our resort.

We are glad you liked the underground parking and were able to utilize this location during the rainy days. Wee also have a significant amount of outdoor parking as well when the underground garage is full.

We value your repeat patronage of our resort and look forward to your next visit in the near future.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on business trip and wish I had a week! Very professional & friendly staff. Upgraded to ocean view for being a Delta Crossover member using my Delta Plat status.

The bathroom has excellent Kohler tub and shower. Best shower in an American hotel I can remember.

But it's the bedding that made my stay. Honestly, the best pillows and mattress I have ever slept on.
I am ordering this stuff for my home.

I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin. Delighted we were able to provide upgraded accommodations during your visit and that you really enjoyed your stay; particularly our signature Heavenly Bed. We appreciate your comments on our staff being very professional and friendly as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back for a renewing visit in the near future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Spent two nights at the Westin Hilton Head and was surprised to see it all remodeled since the last time we were there. Exceptionally nice decor and very friendly people. We have always enjoyed our stays here - staying at least 8 times in the last 6 years. Very clean rooms and comfortable beds. The breakfast buffet this time was very good- with an omelet made to order. The hostess was especially friendly at the Carolina Cafe and did her job very well. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing your complimentary remarks on our newly renovated resort. Delighted that you found the decor exceptionally nice, clean, and that you enjoyed our signature Heavenly Beds and buffet breakfast. We appreciate your comments on our staff being friendly as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service. We especially value our repeat guests and look forward to your next escape back to The Westin.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We upgraded to an Ocean View room...if I stood on my tippy toes I could see some of the ocean but there was a big building in front of our room blocking most of it. I couldn't use my phone at all while in my room. I called to see about moving and she immediately asked if I had AT&T and when I told her I did she informed me I was out of luck but could stand in the hallway to use the phone. REALLY, are we not in 2013? I have traveled all over the world and have never had a problem. 2 strikes. The third was the construction banging at 8:01 right outside my room and construction workers lacking any regards to the guests. We had to keep our blinds shut the whole time they worked. I understand construction, but work with them to be respectful. I was there for a business trip, had I been trying to relax on vacation I would have been livid! During one of the meetings I slipped out to grab a cup of coffee from Ingredients...the most expensive cup of coffee that had to be poured out it was so awful. I ordered a mocha and have NO idea what I got. I bought my friend a drink and she said the same.
Now for the good part (the only way this got a 3 rating). The valet staff were always friendly as were the gals from housekeeping. The female bartender at Oceans Saturday night was great as well. The meeting lunch was good. The rooms were nice and parking was easy to self park. The lobby was well kept. I don't like giving low ratings unless I feel necessary (you can see my other reviews). I am staying at a Westin next month and I really hope it is better than this one was.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent visit to The Westin. We were dellighted to know that the valet staff and housekeepers were always friendly and that the bartender was fantastic. Your complimentary remarks on having a good meeting lunch, nice guest rooms, well kept lobby, and easy parking are also very appreciated. Regarding cell phone service, certain cell carriers/providers, such as AT&T, are well aware of their service issues and availability on Hilton Head Island. Our local Chamber of Commerce and the Town of Hilton Head Island are working with cell carriers on an island-wide solution to resolve the issues, and we are hopeful a resolution will occur soon for our entire community. We did have some unavoidable roof maintenance occur during your visit, and I am very sorry for your inconveniences related to this situation. We hope that you will return in the future so we may meet and exceed all your expectations.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Only stayed one day and night as was there for a conference. Will likely be back. The service was friendly and the rooms nicely appointed. Enjoyed the pool area and the beach (hotel had direct access to the beach which was convenient). Amenities were good enough but this Westin did not have the full menu of bathroom amenities that seemed typical to other Westin establishments (cotton balls, etc.), which are a great convenience for traveling business women. The food was fair (in the cafe and ocean front grill). The grounds were nicely kept and the pool area more than adequately stocked with fresh towels.

Room Tip: Not a tip about the room but about getting to HH. Recommend flying into Savannah and driving the 40...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your perspective on your recent visit to The Westin. We appreciate your comments that you had great accommodations, experienced our friendly staff, and that you enjoyed our pool area and direct beach access. We usually receive very positive comments on our dining venues and food & beverage quality, and I am sorry your experiences were only fair. We do provide the signature Westin white tea amenities in our guest room as amenities, and certain additional items are available on request. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a renewing and rejuvenating stay.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Hilton Head Resort in February 2013 because I was running the Hilton Head Half Marathon. The Westin was the host hotel and had a special rate for the runners. The resort was under renovation at the time, but the noise didn't bother us. We stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms. Wow! What a nice room! The heavenly bed was just that. I felt very well rested before the race and I think it helped me set a new personal record. Loved the rain shower and the spacious bathroom. Our room had an island view. My only complaint was no breakfast for the runners before the race. I've stayed in other hotels before races and most of them at least had some bagels or bananas for participants. I'm glad I had some granola bars just in case. Other than that minor issue, the whole weekend was great. We look forward to coming back next year.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

We are thrilled that our multi-million dollar renovation is now complete, and appreciate your complimentary remarks about the renovated guest room that you experienced during your stay for the Hilton Head Half Marathon. Congratualtions on your new personal record, and we look forward to welcoming you back next year for another rejuvenating stay.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

You feel like you are in another country when you walk in... It's an escape...a true resort experience. We kinda felt like we were on a cruise ship. We didn't leave the property once we checked in! The renovations are spectacular! They have thought of everything! Excellent fitness studio and if you forgot your workout gear they will New Balance (socks,shoes, shorts, etc) send up to you for just $5! You can't get any closer to the water and the views are beautiful from your ocean view room balcony! Now if you're gonna eat on the property you are eating whole foods, Super Foods, clean food! It's pricey but worth it! Oceans restaurant, Carolina Cafe (excellent breakfast buffet) and even the Ingredients deli/coffee/etc. bar was so fresh! The waiters and servers to housekeeping all had amazing helpful attitudes and no one of them failed to greet us! What can I say? The Westin is doing an amazing job of training their employees! Oh by the way, the beds are heavenly!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffery W, Director of Operations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for sharing that The Westin Resort provided a true resort experience and that our renovations are spectacular. We appreciate your comments on the Westin Workout, our restaurants, and the signature Heavenly Beds. Thank you for noting that our staff had amazing helpful attitudes as they always strive to provide personal and instinctive service to each guest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another renewing escape.