“Good -- Not Great”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Alfred's is pleasingly decorated, small, and out-of-the way. The food is well-prepared but the presentation is not at all imaginative -- almost like at a diner. The menu and wine list is somewhat limited but the entrees that are there seem calculated to suit a variety of tastes and preferences. My main complaint about the menu was that Alfred decided to eliminate an entree (New Your Strip) but did not make any effort to annotate the menu or otherwise inform customers that it is not available any longer. The service was professional, courteous and efficient.

It was obvious that many customers knew Alfred or the staff and loyally return repeatedly. We were only on HH for a week and did not find it good enough to warrant a second visit. While we were not displeased, we just believe that there are many other, better restaurants on HH than Alfred's.

2  Thank Bob980
There are newer reviews for Alfred's Restaurant

Reviewed July 22, 2009

The food was excellet. The potato pancake was great. Don't miss the chocolate lava cake. Best of all was the great personal service.

1  Thank eltoronv
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Chef Alfred is back and his restaurant is amazing. I discovered this place when it first opened last summer and we have a villa in Sea Pines and we go everytime we are in Hilton Head. It is a very intimate place which only seats about 40 people max so reservations are a good idea. If you want a special treat sit at the bar and watch Chef Alfred and his assistant work - it is truly of work of art. This is not the best place for conversation but if there are just two of you it is fine.

The apetizers are wonderful. Last time I got the French Onion Soup and the block of cheese they put on there is very large and makes for a great cheesy topping. It will fill you up quickly. The scallop apetizer is amazing and I am not even a huge scallop fan, but they are seared and have an excellent taste.

My husband used to get the veal chop as he says it is the best veal chop he has ever had until my son went with us one visit and ordered the pork chop. It is one of the biggest pork chops I have ever seen served and now it is my husband's favorite.

I have had several entrees including the sea bass, tenderloins of beef, and the filet. The sea bass is very light and tasty and has a wonderful light champagne sauce served with it. All steaks are very tender and excellently prepared. I enjoy watching them prepare my meal (while seated at the bar).

My husband recommends the peanut butter pie for dessert, I am always way too full but it looks good.

They have an excellent wine list but the main reason to go is for the most unbelievable food and the best service you can imagine. We have eaten there about 7-8 times. I would not recommend this restaurant for children and have never seen anyone younger than teenagers there, it is an dining experience.

3  Thank vlohokie
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Alfred's is a wonderful surprise. The staff is very welcoming and genuinely happy to serve you. I was taken back by how quickly the place filled up. I had the duck and loved it. I know little about wine, but had a perfect one picked out for me, thank you Guillermo! I really enjoyed everything about Alfred's and it looked like everyone else did too.

1  Thank foodlover63
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This restaurant was recommended to us by folks at the Studio (one of our favorites) for our 48th anniversary dinner with friends. We had a nice table near the window of this very small room with a view of the chef preparing our meals. Alfred waited on us attentively and the repartee between him and us was part of the fun of the evening. Food choices were excellent and everyone in our party of four enjoyed them (Veal Chop, Steak, Halibut and Sea Bass). We ordered wine by the glass and, although he did not have a Sauvignon Blanc for me, Alfred brought a taste of an Unoaked Chardonnay from So. Afriica that was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed the desserts that we shared (Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Volcano cake) and the evening. AND Alfred recommended a restaurant that we hadn't heard of for the next night that turned out to be a favorite (Eat).

1  Thank spengle1