Review Highlights
The Early Bird Gets the Worm

We had the first tee time at 7:52 AM. We were greeted by Bryan our cart attendant. He... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

from $29.95
from $119.00
from $35.00
More Info
All reviews indigo run pro shop in great shape driving range fair condition great greens green fees water hazards fast greens challenging holes hilton head island clubhouse cart tee pace sand par
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had the first tee time at 7:52 AM.
We were greeted by Bryan our cart attendant. He immediately took our clubs and set them up on our cart.
The pro shop was helpful and we had a smooth check-in.
We met the very friendly starter, Jim from Yardley, Pa.
The pace of play was less than three hours and that's my kind of golf game.
This course gets a lot of play and you can see it in the wear and tear on the greens. They were in decent condition and ran fast.
The tee boxes were not in good condition and I was told they will be reseeded next week. The fairways were uneven and soft. The rough has gotten very dense.
There is water in play on over half the holes here. Hole #15 has a diabolical hidden lake on the left side in front of the green that an unknowing golfer, even with a straight shot, will cause the ball to go in the drink. Hole #18 has a large lake in front of the green on the right side forcing most golfers to hit a fade from a left-side lie.
There are plenty of challenging par fives and a nasty short par 3 with the narrowest green.
Despite the 20 mph wind, this is a fun course to play.

1  Thank bobemac
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

Played here during my recent Hilton Head vacation.
The course was pretty wet from all of the recent rains, but was still in fantastic shape. I must say that Jack was pretty unforgiving as a designer. On several of my tee shots, I hit, what I thought was, a great drive (side 1/3rd of the fairway)...only to find out that a tree growing over the fairway would limit my second shot The course is not extremely long but it is pretty tight. Then, add into that the advice the Starter gave us just before we feed off... he said “if you hit a ball Close to the foliage, I wouldn’t look for it. There are a ton of snakes out due to all of the rain”. LOL. Be assured, we didn’t look long !!!
I will definitely play here again !!

Reviewed July 16, 2018

This is a nice course but the type of grass that is used causes your ball to settle down in it and just disappear. No they weren't hit poorly. Often in the fairway or just off into the rough. We joked that someone was coming along in front of us and stealing our balls.

But the course is nice and well maintained with many challenging holes. Not particularly scenic. Do bring lots of balls.

1  Thank William15222
Reviewed June 26, 2018

Let me start by saying that this golf course was in great shape- especially when you consider that they aerated recently. Expect to use every club in your bag on this course, it was challenging yet fun. We truly had a fun round. Good round of golf for the price. However, what put a shadow on the entire trip was the customer service. I will give them a little latitude, our group took their last available tee time simply because I had 2 junior golfers with me and sometimes the round takes a little longer than normal with juniors. I did tell them this prior to making the tee time over the phone. The course was not busy at all, so we did not run into any issues of being held up, but we did take nearly 4 hours to finish our round of 18 (which is not too out of the ordinary) We started on the first hole at 4:50. By hole 16 they turned on the sprinklers on the greens. We had to hurry puts and avoid getting wet for the last 3 holes. When we pulled up to #18 the guy on duty to put up the carts at the end was sitting near the green in a golf cart - so he simply sat and watched us trying to avoid the sprinklers and did nothing to stop them or apologize for the timer or anything. When we returned our carts, he was rude, seemed mad at the world, throwing stuff around, slammed on the breaks of one of carts and was overall a complete jerk. We thanked him for staying back and apologized for coming in at 8:35 but he said nothing to us.....nothing. The management of this course may want to consider training this guy - we had a great evening of golf - but it was essentially ruined by his attitude. That is now what we remember. I visit Hilton Head often - while I loved the course, why would I return when there are so many other options on the island for great golf for around the same price where the course treats you like royalty?

Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

Went to Golden Bear CC solo and they paired me up with a local resident. Had a wonderful time out on the course and it was a great course with greens in excellent shape! The pro-shop staff was very friendly and the cart attendants were helpful! Will definitely return again!

Reviewed May 25, 2018

Played here for the first time and were pleased with the course. The setting is very nice, winding through the housing community. The course offers 5 sets of tees and is challenging but not too difficult. There is a lot of water, some narrow fairways, quite a bit of sand. The rough is easily playable. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

The cons are the carts do not have coolers, GPS or towels on them which seems to be the norm for the courses here.

Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

First time to ever play Golden Bear.

The Good - the course was in good shape overall.
Tee to green overal well maintained.

The Bad - STAFF. Three guys working in the morning when we got there. 1) bag boy needs to find other work.
2) Proshop Guy was rude, annoyed about something. Not sure what as there was NO ONE at the course. NO ONE.
3) Starter was rude, unfriendly.

The guys at Golden Bear should stop over to Hilton Head National for customer service training and see how it’s done. That staff knows what hospitality means.

Reviewed May 8, 2018 via mobile

Golfed at the Golden Bear Course at Indigo Run on Hilton Head Island. It is a very fine golf course, challenging, yet not too difficult. There are a lot of water hazards and some of the fairways are a little narrow. The greens are in great shape. When you are on Hilton Head, do not miss this course .

Reviewed May 5, 2018

On our couples vacation to Hilton Head Island, SC we had an opportunity to play Golden Bear Gold Course and were disappointed. The overall layout of the course was nice but many of the fairways were hard packed with very little grass. Other fairways were "corn rowed" with strips of grass and bare strips in between. I realize that Hilton Head experienced a very poor spring and that has put them behind where the courses should be at this time of year, but Golden Bear was way behind the other courses we played last week. I hate to say it but having visited Hilton Head on four separate occasions for golf, this course sits at the bottom of any we have played.

Reviewed May 1, 2018

Played the Golden Bear today. This is a good golf course with great, fast greens. The Bermuda has not taken off as yet due to the weather. When the weather gets warmer with 80 plus degrees nights, this course should be very good.