“Low key; good service; relaxing; nice food”

Black Marlin Bayside Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Marlin Bayside Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 369 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Description: Escape to the islands best selection of fresh seafood, hand cut steaks and home of The Hurricane Bar!
cincinnati
“Low key; good service; relaxing; nice food”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Thanks to TripAdvisor reviewers and my brother, we ended up here for our first dinner in Hilton Head. We were seated immediately (off season) and felt very at home and happy with our choice. The wait staff was attentive. The sound level was great. The place was fairly busy but we could converse with no trouble.

We both had seafood, and it was well-prepared and delicious. I had their house margarita. Yum!

Would definitely return.

Bluffton, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I rarely get a day off together. We decided we would have a little date lunch/brunch. First off our server was excellent. Amy was very friendly and did not rush us at all. (We were very indecisive) The food was excellent as well. Lettuce wraps, Frogmore Pho, Fish tacos, and not to mention a build your own bloody mary bar! Who could pass that up? Something for everyone.

• Visited February 2014
Springfield, Illinois
“What's not to Love?”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm not given to hyperbole. If something sucks, I say so. If something is worth sharing, I recommend it. If something is awesome, it's Black Marlin at HHI.

For those sorry souls who travel to HIlton Head in January, they (we) get what we deserve. The first snow in 25 years, colder temps than in KC (I looked it up), and Restaurant Week. At least the last one salves the wound a bit.

Black Marlin and it's SERG group corporate brethren are participants in this midwinter rite of passage that heralds the promise of springtime to come. HHI is pretty desolate this time of year, so what better way to spend a long cool night than eating some of the finest fare on the Island?

I have enjoyed the Black Marlin for at least the past decade, never regretting sending friends who are visiting or dragging along my own guests. If you can find it, it's worth it. Tucked under the Cross Island at Palmetto Bay Marina, this seafood house knows EXACTLY how to do it right.

Part of Restaurant Week is the prix-fixe menu many places offer, and this is a stellar example. I ordered the three course array beginning with the She-Crab Soup, a Lowcountry staple. It's a good offering, though not necessarily the best I have had. Still, it's pretty hard to mess up cream, crab, and sherry. Following that came the Mahi Daufuskie - a flaky baked Mahi nestled atop parmesan risotto, topped with wilted spinach and chunks of spicy andouille sausage, all wrapped in the most velvety cream sauce ever to pass these 60 year old lips. Was I in heaven, or not? No, couldn't have been, there was heavy freezing rain falling. Definitely not heaven. But next door.

Crowning this was the Warm Chocolate Lava cake. I have to admit, it went home in a to-go box. I had no room for dessert but it looked fantastic upon presentation, even if nestled squarely in a styrofoam carry-out food casket.

The wait staff is alert, informed, attentive, and not the least bit overbearing. Management made two trips to the table, not because there were problems but because they care. SERG restaurant group rarely makes mistakes, and Black Marlin deserves and shares in the respect they have.

Just don't ask for table 12. It's my favorite and if you're there I can't get it.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Wonderful food and wait staff”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is a favorite of ours when we go to Hilton Head (which is often)! The seafood is some of the best we have ever had! The fresh sea scallops and grouper is melt in your mouth wonderful! The seafood chowder is to die for! There is not one thing on the menu that isn't prepared in the most perfect way! The wait staff is friendly and helpful and Southern charm is the motto here! It is a pleasure to go and in the summer you can eat out on the patio by the marina! Superb in every way! The Martins from Greenville, SC

Bethlehem, New Hampshire
“Great Place For Outdoor Dinner”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was our second time enjoying dinner here in the past year, both times we chose to sit outdoors. We're from NH so we thoroughly enjoy the chance to eat outside whenever we're in Hilton Head. The food is great (loved the fish tacos), the drinks were very good and again can't beat the outdoor seating. And the waitstaff have always done a great job. We're already planning another trip to our home away from home and we'll definitely be back.

• Visited November 2013