“Good place for lunch”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Abala
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

A fun place to stop and have lunch on the way back from the Ruta Puuc. We had a wander 'round the place before eating and it looked like one could spend a bit of time here just to visit the Hacienda. We ordered Pok Chuc & beef Arrachera local dishes and both were great. The service was very good and the atmosphere was quite relaxing. A good place to stop & have a relaxing lunch after climbing all of those pyramids!

There are newer reviews for Hacienda San Pedrio Ochil

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The place was once an hacienda henequenera, from the sisal boom of the late 1800s. It is now partially preserved and used as a restaurant. The food they served was typical Yucatan and it was quite good, but what was truly interesting to me was how they chose to preserve the site: they did not reconstruct it to make it look like a sparkling new place. Instead, they've sealed the finish on the walls and done minimal construction to maintain the genteel ruin feel. The casa de maquinas is viewable, and there is a small museum and shop. Makes for a unique experience.

1  Thank luckygrrr
Reviewed September 18, 2013

While planning our recent trip to the Yucatan I wanted to find a place to stop between Campeche and Merida as we were heading for Valladolid. I read about Hacienda Ochil in one of the guide books and checked out their website. It sounded like an interesting place to stop and have lunch.

It took us about two hours to get to the Hacienda from Campeche and it was easy to find. Although as one of the other reviewers mentioned you pull into the parking lot and it isn't immediately obvious where the restaurant is. But we knew it was there somewhere and we figured it out.

Other than the staff, we were the only one's there, which was puzzling to us. I guess September is the off season. It certainly is a beautiful place, it must have been really something in its prime.

Lunch was great! We sampled a few of the appetizers and then shared an entrée. After eating a lot of pork in Merida and a lot of fish in Campeche, we decided to have the arrachera. The steak along with their good salsa and fresh corn tortillas made for an excellent meal.

They have a small museum with some interesting photos of some of the other haciendas on the peninsula and some of the old farming tools and machinery. It was a very nice place to take a break from our drive, I highly recommend it if you are passing by.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stopped in on a whim on the way back from Uxmal. Arriving is a little weird, as it's pretty unclear where to go once you park, but a guy appeared and led us up to the restaurant. The place is really pretty, and it looks like they're doing a lot of work on it. Service was nice - this is one of the few places that "gets" vegetarianism, after I asked if they could make the panuchos vegetarian, he explained what else on the menu could be made vegetarian. After we got our drinks he came over a bit apologetically with a little dish of what looked like tiny empanadas, and explained that they were the house botana but unfortunately had chicken in them. My husband gobbled them up and said they were delicious. I went for the panuchos, which I enjoyed. My husband continued his poc chuc binge, and was very happy with his meal. After our meal we wandered about a bit and looked at the little museum about the henequen plantations and checked out some of the old machinery. All-in-all it was a very nice way to pass an hour or two in the afternoon.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stopped by on a recommendation. The grounds are beautiful. We sat in the restaurant and had a fantastic traditional meal (relleno negro) and then it started raining which made the whole experience that much more pleasant.

Strongly recommend it!