“29 alligators! :)”

Irmo, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“29 alligators! :)”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We made our way from Hilton Head on a cloudy day on our way to Savannah and we ended up spending almost 3 hours on the trail! you have to go really slow! let the others pass if you have to but it is definitely worth the time. We counted about 9 alligators some small some bigger until the last 1.5 miles of the 4 mile trail where there is a river on the right side (it was very muddy looking so it was very easy to spot them in the orange water!). It was one after another just swimming up and down the river! it was awesome! took tons of pictures and our 6 year old daughter absolutely loved it! Plan on spending some time and don't rush it... I guarantee you will see many!

3 Thank Jelena J

Atlanta, Georgia
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“It wasn't worth the trip for us. :(”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We went to photograph beautiful scenery but it was misting rain. We saw a couple of alligators in extremely muddy water but the pictures won't be great because of muddy water. We saw a couple of Egrits but again not so great because of the muddy water. The moss covered trees were beautiful but decided that September must not be a good time to go. The cost to drive the 4 mile loop was 0

Jacksonville, Florida
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“BIG alligators!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Even though it is the heat of summer, my friend took me here knowing what a nature lover I am. lots of cool plants; like water lilies, cattails, morning glories and grasses in flower.
We saw a green heron, an anhinga and two really REALLY big alligators. We had their eyes on us for awhile and I estimate 10 feet. And YES I grew up in the south...so I know.
Pretty cool and I can't wait to come back when it is cooler and see the birds breeding.

Detroit, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Educational and enthralling”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stopped here on the way from Savannah to Charleston.

I'd advise stopping by the visitor's center (about a mile away from the wildlife drive) first before going on the wildlife drive. Watch the 11 minute film on the refuge and you'll have a much better understanding and appreciation for what you're looking at when you go on the four-mile wildlife drive. We did this in reverse order, and wish we hadn't--if we had the time, we would have gone back on the wildlife drive. The visitor's center also has some displays on the ecosystem of the area and a small gift shop (and restrooms, of course).

On the drive, we were fortunate enough to see two gators near the edge of the marsh in two separate places. You need to drive slowly and keep a watchful eye out, or you're almost certain to miss them. We only saw two other cars on the drive, and the one in front of us spotted the gators both times because they were also taking their time to enjoy the drive (when we got out to view the critters, we found out they were visiting from England). However, we could see the car about 1/3 mile behind us drove past the spots where we saw both gators. I could just imagine hearing them leaving the park, "I thought there were supposed to be alligators there! What a ripoff!"

Take your time, enjoy the peace, and enjoy the scenery.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank detroithawkeye
Montreal
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Really nice break from the road.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We love to stop off at "quick" attractions on our road trips and this one is amazing. Beautiful scenery and animals to see...birds , gators, etc. Spanish moss on the trees is beautiful. All less than 10 mins of I-95. No cost ,but donations are accepted at the refuge welcome center with the nicest people. It will be a must stop on all future trips.

Visited July 2013