“Relaxing adventure”

Savannah National Wildlife Refuge
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I just recently moved to the area and found this wonderful place. You can walk, hike, bike, or drive the 4 mile trail through the wilderness. You will see plenty of nature and have an excellent opportunity to take photos and have an up and close encounter with an alligator. One of my favorite places to visit.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I visit the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge every time we come down to Savannah. Every experience is different: some days you may see alligators basking on the banks and others times they are in the water lurking around! Our last visit was over Memorial Day weekend and the wetlands was very interesting. The canals that were once low in water and provided a lot of banks for the gators to bask along were full of water, so the gators were mainly swimming and very close to the road. We saw one baby gator, about 12" long. The others were about 4-5 feet, but no really big ones this time. There were many juvenile cow egrets and whistling ducks. It was a beautiful weekend around 75-78 degrees so not too hot. This place never disappoints us in regards to seeing gators.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went here mainly because my mom wanted to go and I was pleasantly surprised. When we initially arrived, we were underwhelmed. The park is a 4 mile loop and gets better as you keep going. The last half or so of the drive is through beautiful live oak trees and marshes. We saw a variety of wildlife including several gators. There was a part of the marsh covered with lily pads, which I really loved. This place is just outside of Savannah and worth the drive!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This refuge is about 7 miles north of Savannah off US 17. If you stop at the Visitors Center at the entrance (open Monday-Saturday, 9:00-4:30), they will show you how to access the 4-mile drive and give you a map (Four-mile drive is open 7 days from sunrise to sunset.) There is no fee. We visited on a lovely spring day and thoroughly enjoyed our leisurely drive through the refuge. It is mostly swamp and wetland but we drove through a few areas of hardwoods with Spanish moss. Spotted a turtle and small alligator on a log in a pond in one area. Very scenic and the price was right :)

1  Thank Norma W
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was such a neat drive. We saw lots of birds towards the beginning but I was really hoping to see some alligators! Towards the middle/end of the drive is where we saw quite a few!! This was a fun drive and the staff at the Nature Center are very helpful and friendly. We went through the museum there as well. I would like to return sometime soon!!

1  Thank Jessica L