“Gators, spanish moss and birds galore”

Savannah National Wildlife Refuge
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughter and I drove through the SNWR. Great gem in between Savannah and HIlton Head. The drive is a 4 mile one way loop. If you have the time and are brave enough, you should walk it. We plan to do this at our next visit. Stop by the visitor's center for good information. We had the pleasure of seeing a Bald Eagle through our sunroof. Best of all - No fee!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stopped at the main interpretative center to watch the short video on the park before driving through it. We probably spent 3 to 4 hours watching the birds and alligators. Being from Canada we had never seen an alligator in its native habitat before so that was very exciting for us. We also saw turtles and many species of birds. My husband was able to capture some amazing photos of a heron as it landed so close to us. We did not see any gators until we were at the 3.5 mile point and most were on the left side in the brown water or on that bank. We went right at 9 though so may have been a bit early especially as it was quite cold.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We visited a beautiful sunny April day, stopped by at the visitor center first which was well worth seeing and staffed by friendly and knowledgeable staff, and then drove through the 4 mile trail. Our kids (8 and 12) were hoping to see alligators, and we were lucky to see about 15 of them! We also saw a lot of beautiful birds, and the trail itself is nicely laid out and goes through a beautiful landscape. We spent about 1,5 hours driving through the trail but wished we had more time to leave the car and walk around. We will definitely come back if we visit the Savannah area again!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I took the free 4 mile drive around 11am and wasn't sure I was going to see anything - it seems like wildlife prefer sunrise and sunset so imagine my surprise when I had to stop the car because an alligator was ambling across the road! Once he slunk back into the water I started seeing lots of them along the far right bank of the river. The birds were beautiful, the snakes were cool and I even saw a raccoon digging for food in the shallows. One of my favorite parts of my Savannah vacation! This should not be missed....and it's free.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Where can I start... This was my favorite part of our mini-cation in Savannah. We went on our last day before heading home, and I wish we would have went every day we were there. The scenery, the birds, the alligators, the turtles, the people; all of it was amazing. We met a local couple who were biking through the scenic drive, and they gave us tips on the best places to see gators (between mile 2.5 and 3.5, look on the bank of the water to the right). We wound up seeing 32 gators! There were oodles of birds, and we saw a lot of birders there enjoying it, as well. One of the park rangers also stopped to make sure we were enjoying it, and it turns out he grew up near where we live. Small world!