“Beautiful - a big hit with the kids”

Savannah National Wildlife Refuge
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We visited a beautiful sunny April day, stopped by at the visitor center first which was well worth seeing and staffed by friendly and knowledgeable staff, and then drove through the 4 mile trail. Our kids (8 and 12) were hoping to see alligators, and we were lucky to see about 15 of them! We also saw a lot of beautiful birds, and the trail itself is nicely laid out and goes through a beautiful landscape. We spent about 1,5 hours driving through the trail but wished we had more time to leave the car and walk around. We will definitely come back if we visit the Savannah area again!

There are newer reviews for Savannah National Wildlife Refuge

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I took the free 4 mile drive around 11am and wasn't sure I was going to see anything - it seems like wildlife prefer sunrise and sunset so imagine my surprise when I had to stop the car because an alligator was ambling across the road! Once he slunk back into the water I started seeing lots of them along the far right bank of the river. The birds were beautiful, the snakes were cool and I even saw a raccoon digging for food in the shallows. One of my favorite parts of my Savannah vacation! This should not be missed....and it's free.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Where can I start... This was my favorite part of our mini-cation in Savannah. We went on our last day before heading home, and I wish we would have went every day we were there. The scenery, the birds, the alligators, the turtles, the people; all of it was amazing. We met a local couple who were biking through the scenic drive, and they gave us tips on the best places to see gators (between mile 2.5 and 3.5, look on the bank of the water to the right). We wound up seeing 32 gators! There were oodles of birds, and we saw a lot of birders there enjoying it, as well. One of the park rangers also stopped to make sure we were enjoying it, and it turns out he grew up near where we live. Small world!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was debating whether or not we should come here since it was either this or Fort Pulaski, but I'm so glad we chose here instead!

We arrived at the visitor center and were greeted by a friendly lady (originally from Ottawa) who quickly acquainted us with things to do at the refuge. She even gave the kids some activity sheets to work on and gave them little prizes at the end of their completion~a nice touch!

It was raining lightly when we arrived, so we spent some time in the visitor center. Then the weather cleared up so we walked the trail in the back.

Since the ground was still wet, we decided to do the 4 mile driven trail. Thank God at this point it wasn't raining, so we were able to get out along the drive and stop for pictures. Even though the sun was out it was still a bit cloudy, so I was surprised at all the gators we were able to see. The kids were ecstatic,and said this was their favourite place of their whole 10 day vacation! And it cost me nothing!

Overall a great place to spend a few hours, or a full day. Would Highly recommend!!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have revisited the Savannah Refuge a number of times since we first discovered it. It is easily our favourite place in the Hilton Head/Savannah area. These Wildlife Refuges are hidden gems, full of natural delights. On this visit we saw a few gators just stirring, but thousands of different types of birds. Don't expect fancy tourist facilities - these places are primarily what they say they are, safe places for birds and animals, and people are secondary. So I see it as a privilege to quietly observe all the creatures there.
The new Visitor Centre is wonderful, though not easy to find due to poor signage on the roads. This is not the fault of the refuge, apparently the Department of Transport will not allow them to place their own road signs. So the refuge has put a couple of excellent maps on line, which you should print out before you go... they are clear and precise.
This year we are in the area for 2 weeks and plan a second visit before we head home. And another bonus - it is free to visit!

1  Thank Monica W