“Great little find”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Have passed this place millions of time and finally stopped there. I read the reviews just now and have to admit the place could use a little TLC, but sometimes owners don't have the budget and it also helps keep the prices down. The fried chicken was absolutely delicious...very moist inside with just the right amount of crunchy coating...my daughter had the crab cake which I tasted and it was all crab, no filler and it was good. We also had a side of fried okra...fresh and delicious. This is fried food, so don't complain if there's a little oil..... Didn't have the BBQ items so I couldn't tell you how they were, but I will try it the definitely the next time I stop by.......And definitely stop by if you're heading south on I-95 passing through South Carolina.It's right off Exit 5 in Hardeeville...And they have breakfast........

1  Thank jilene48
There are newer reviews for Chicken Lickin' Hickory House

Reviewed August 13, 2013

A couple years ago we stopped to get gas next door, I thought the sign was cool so I went in. The place looked funny.. but after taking a look around it was clearly clean. The lady working there was nothing but welcoming, it was like being at my friends house, talking to his mama. The food was the best chicken I ever had, and I really can't wait to be back in this area to eat there again. I always bring this place up in conversation, and since I just opened this Tripadvisor account, I couldn't wait to let the world know, this place is finger lickin amazing!

Just one thing, if you're looking for fancy this isn't the place for you.

1  Thank surfitout
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I'm gonna say that this place did look like a hole in the wall but I don't mind it as these hole in the walls are hidden treasures. We stayed overnight in this area so we decided to try this place because we do love chicken. The menu was easy to read. The lady that took our order has a great personality. She explained the sides and where we can find what we wanted. Decided on the chicken and shrimp. I'm a food fanatic and enjoy different foods. This meal was amazing. I couldn't stop eating the chicken and shrimp. My kids loved the Mac n cheese and mashed potatoes. My hubby and I got different sides and had no complaints on taste or appearance. I fully recommend stopping by and trying it out if your in the area! Price was good. If you think about it a cheeseburger meal at a food chain cost about 6 to 7 dollars. The combo was $9.99 and you get a home cooked meal besides the great taste. Check it out. I took 2 pictures. Shrimp was amazing! Needless to say 15 minutes before they closed we took a friend there that we had recommended the place too that same day and he loved it as we'll!

1  Thank Maria M
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I need another visit before I can give a complete review of this place. I stopped here to grab lunch early on a Monday, craving fried chicken.

The restaurant looks like a little shack next to a gas station. However, as I was waiting for my food, I noticed how spotless the prep area was.

I ordered the fried chicken plate which comes with 2 sides. First try: mac & cheese and collard greens. They were out of both. I saw her boiling the macaroni & a big pot of greens boiling. Hush puppies? Nope. I finally told her to pick what she thought was good which meant green beans & dirty rice.

The rice was mediocre - dry & not very flavorful. The beans had a really great flavor, but they were canned.

The chicken was very moist & well seasoned, but it certainly had been sitting under the heat lamps for awhile. I think it would have been amazing right out of the fryer.

This trip was a bit of a disappointment but I would definitely give it a second shot since this place has potential.

1  Thank YoYaing
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A little context to my visit will be pertinent. I came in at the end of the day, probably within an hour of closing, so keep that in mind. I had the BBQ chicken snack box, french fries and a medium drink. The cost was over 8$. The fries and the coke were fine, but to be quite honest the chicken was way over smoked and terribly dry. Additionally there wasn't a whole lot of it. Maybe it was the time of day and I was getting the end of the days product. At any rate, the price was in no way what I consider to be a quality buy up in North Carolina. Strangely, there was no roll in the deal either. For that price, there really should be a piece of bread of some sort. Maybe a return visit would prove my review a bit hasty, but it is what it is....or more accurate, was what it was.