“BBQ aroma pulled us in!”

Chicken Lickin' Hickory House
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Hardeeville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The barbeque aroma drifted toward us when we stopped to refuel. Smelled so good that we HAD to get some BBQ. The sauce was wonderful and the smoky flavor of the BBQ was fantastic. However, I ordered a chopped plate and there was a lot of fat and skin and stuff that wasn't tasty to eat chopped up in there with my BBQ. Probably half of my "meat" was inedible. What was there was so, so good, though. My hubby ordered the fried shrimp and they were awesome!!! The slaw and hushpuppies were good as well and the macaroni and cheese was really tasty. The baked beans were straight from the can, not even hot, I didn't do more than taste them. Hubby also had a crab cake that was only "ok," in his opinion. Definately would have rated it higher had I had more meat and less "extra" considering the price of a plate of BBQ.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The place looks like a shack, but don't let that keep you away. Chicken Lickin' is located right off exit 5 on I-95. There is limited seating inside, but if the weather is nice you can sit outside. I ordered fried chicken, macaroni & cheese and dirty rice. My hubby ordered low country boil. Be prepared to wait as the chicken and low country boil are cooked to order. The fried chicken was crispy, not greasy and juicy. The mac & cheese was good - very cheesy - and the dirty rice was good. Neither of these were from a box. One caveat on the low country boil, it is very spicy. My hubby ate every bite. We were surprised as there were over a dozen shrimp in it. I would eat here again and recommend it to you if you're ever in the area.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Real down home cooking. No phony stuff here. The food was fresh and delicious. The lady cooking and serving was very nice.I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

People that love this bbq have never eaten real bbq. Sauce was nothing but vinegar. We ate at 3 restaurants with good reviews on this site, they were all so so to bad. so much for reviews.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had the Fried Chicken, fried okra, and macaroni and cheese and my husband had a bbq sandwich with fries. For the price, you get huge portions! We could've easily shared one entree. Food was good, staff friendly. Small business that looks to have been there for quite some time. Would definitely visit again on my next trip.