“Good place for a night”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Reviewed September 23, 2006

South of the Border is a throwback to the 1950's. If you are looking for a place with modern features, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a clean quiet place, this is the place for you.

There is not much to do around South of the Border, besides walking around the cheap little shops that they have. But it is kind of fun ,looking at all the decoractions, they have around the complex, it really is a trhowback to the 50's

We stayed in one of the Honeymoon suites, for a little extra money, it was worth it. The room was very clean, good size room, whirpool tub in bathroom worked well. The indoor pool was enjoyable, but the jets in the Hot Tub by pool were not working well. One nice little feature is that every room has its own carport.

If you are traveling down I 95, I would recomend South of the Border for a nights visit.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank garedsoxfan
There are newer reviews for South of the Border

Reviewed August 31, 2006

Stayed here 1 night while passing through on the way to Florida. I was very much looking forward to this place because I had stayed here as a kid in the 70's. I remember the room was Mexican and there was a huge Mexican themed pool with bridges we swam under. This place was one of the highlights of our trip when I was a kid. When I pulled up to the place around midnight, it looked awesome. Absolutely everything was in neon and was flashing. Check in was quick and she told me where my room was. All rooms come with their own car port right in front of the door. I went into the room and found it to be a simple and basic room. All of the Mexican atmosphere was gone. I ended up going right to sleep. I ran into a problem with the shower that has never happened to me before and probably never will again. I turned the water on and there was no.........cold water. Yes that's not a typo. I couldn't believe it. I turned on the shower to it's absolutely lowest setting (about a 1/4 inch from being turned off) and the water was very, very hot. I messed around with the dial to see if I was doing something wrong, but I had it right the first time. So after my skin cooled, I grabbed my camera and wanted to take some pictures of the place to show to my mother and father. I walked around and only saw other rooms. The area itself looked very run down. All of the access roads were covered in debris as if a storm recently came through. (which could have happened, I don't know) I figured I would jump in my car and head for checkout, and take some pictures of interest if I found any. Then I drove by a small pool. Definitely not the pool I remembered. I asked the woman at the desk where the big pool was and she said they didn't have one, just the small pool. So at this point I was so disappointed I just checked out and left. The entire area looks like a ghost town. From the attractions, to the motel, to the restaurant. Price for room was very affordable, around $40 per night. I'm sure they don't have as many people passing through as they used to, but I wish they kept some of the atmosphere that got us to stay there in the first place. Maybe more people would also want to see the place they stayed at when they were younger. But to see anything authentic, they will have to stick to some of the surrounding attractions.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank skpr77
Great Falls, SC
Reviewed July 16, 2006

After many years of seeing the billboards while on the way to Myrtle Beach, my husband and I finally decided to check this place out. It's definitely not a place to vacation, but is a wonderful little "stop over". After walking around for about an hour, we decided to check out the "Motor Inn". We were very impressed with the room rates so we got a room for one night. We were very impressed with how clean the room was. It was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in (I travel around the world and have stayed in quite a few hotels). The price was GREAT and there was plenty of room. (We had a deluxe room). The carports were also really great.
The shops are pretty cheesy, but it was a great place to stay over for a night. We had dinner at the Sombero Room and the pricing wasn't too bad and the food was good (not great, but it wasn't bad)
This is a place I will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2006

When i write this i have flashbacks of a 70's episode of the bradybunch. My trip started off nice enough with a ride on the Cape May ferry into Delaware, down into Virgina into North Carolina as my eyes began to grow more and more weary of the mile of aphalt ,I could only imagine a good nights sleep. The only thing keeping my mind sharp and and eyes open was the signs of S.O.B.I figure with the money someone would put out to advertise a place like this it had to be nice.Wrong i was. First let me say not that i found this place totally disgusting , no nothing like that just that it wasn't what i expected. I found all the concrete figures and shops out of a bad John Waters movie minus a overweight Ricky Lake, as tired as i was i needed rest and bad. I opted for the honeymoon suit ,wanted to surprise my wife into thinking i was a big spender,only tov open the door to what smelled to me as stale feet with a splash of dog urine .wonder what happen here if the walls could talk. We stayed the night only to toss and turn with the constant noise of the highway just out the door .I gues they figure who,s going to sleep in a honeymoon suit .Only to wake up early am to find bites on my body.As we packed up got ready to get back on the road we put the car in drive and headed off down the road to florida i said to my wife i hope mickey mouse had a flee bath . To me this is the last of the road side attractions so take this any way you want but as foolish as this sounds ,I'll go back i did in some sick way liked it , call me crazy my wife does . I guess when your from jersey nothing gets under your skin. Not even the bugs that haunt S.O.B.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank FUTURESNOWBIRDS
Reviewed May 29, 2006

Pedro's ROCKS! We stayed here for 1 night for our third straight year. We pop into town, load the car with fireworks, stay the night at SOB then head out the next morning. This place seems almost like a ghost town - you can tell it probably was a rockin' place in the 70's but now its desolate. They seem to keep it somewhat clean though, and most of the workers that we've encountered have always been polite and helpful. One complaint though - the TV in the room gets like 4 or 5 channels, that kinda stinks. Everyone really should experience this place at least once in their life!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank asylum00
Hartsville,South Carolina
Reviewed February 27, 2006

My Husband and myself along with my brother and his wife stayed at the Motor Inn located in the heart of South of the Border. Our stay there was terrible! The rooms were cleaned but the utilities were crap. We had to wait 40 minutes apart for the water to reheat to take showers. We were couple off in seperate rooms but the service wasn't worth a dime. The hotel offers HBO if you like watching HBO and the Disney channel mixing in together, blinking out and on, volume not working properly, only four other channels that barely came in, and then the heat stop working. There was no microwave in the rooms to heat up the over charge food. So my brother went to the front desk to ask if there was a mircowave he could use to heat his food and the desk clerk allowed him to use the staff's microwave. Ten minutes later my husband and I went to front desk to also use the microwave and we were told they didn't have a mircowave and to go over to the Mexican Hat Shop that they might have one that we could use. We didn't pay that Mexican Hat Shop $112.00 for a room so why should we have to go to another business to use their microwave. The desk clerk looked very stupid when my brother stated he just use the microwave located behind the desk ten minutes ago. This hotel not only ----- but it has dishonest employees. I would advise you to stay in another town and only stop for gas. If the rides are operating then you may be in luck to enjoy a few rides other wise get your gas and keep riding down I-95!!It wasn't worth the stay for an anniversary trip.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reno ,NV
Reviewed October 14, 2005

I'm writing because some of the reviews are correct..it's tacky and the uniforms were also in that catagory of tacky...
I worked there one Holiday Season and continued until summer of the following year.. This was 1977 to 1978 is was employed as a Pedro..we
escorted customer's to their rooms on a bycicle wearing a this hat that would always catch the wind and blow off....tips were good, not much on the pay rate...I haven't seen South of the Border in 23 years...but from the
reviews..not much has changed or updated.....

I'm glad that after all these years...South of the Border is still around..
Tacky and all...if given a chance I would work there again.
James R Tucker
Reno, NV

• Stayed: November 1999, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Quality Inn Dillon
#5 of 23 in Lumberton
Comfort Inn Lumberton
Comfort Inn Lumberton
#6 of 23 in Lumberton

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!