“If you're tired... ok place to stop.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel was clean but VERY dated. The staff were friendly.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 4, 2009

Well, my husband asked me to stay here on my way to Boston, MA because he said when he went with his family when he was "younger" it was fun. So i thought, okay why not. So i checked in, i liked it beacuse i had my own car port in front of my hotel room. I checked in fairly late, about 10 PM. The lobby was really clean...the room was clean as well. Nothing fancy, just a place to lay my head. I liked the bath tub because it was larger than most hotel bath tubs. You could sit and fit nicely into it. I went down the street to get some food but found nothing but strip clubs? :/ I did get on the interstate and go back one exit and found a Taco Bell so it was okay, maybe nothing was open because it was really late. but, overall, maybe during the day its better but at night, its just an expensive hotel with nothing going on really. If you like luxury, this isnt it. Stay somewhere else. If you just want a place to sleep and have kids who will like all the stuff, stay here. It was clean and i felt safe, for the most part.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Nursechristi22
Reviewed September 19, 2009

At one time this was a good place to stop for a break. It was an example of American tackiness from the 50's and 60's. You would see the signs for Pedro for 150 miles away and just had to stop.

My wife and I stopped here on our way to Savannah. I had stopped there as a kid and and wanted to show my wife what it was like. I was suprised at how filthy and rundown it has become. We could not wait to get out of there. There is graffiti on the bathroom walls. The bathrooms are the filthiest that I have seen in a long time. South of the Border is clearly not well maintained. We filled our car up and their gas prices are 20 cents a gallon higher than other gas stations in the Carolinas.

If you are going thru the area on 95, dont stop. Instead just point it out as you are driving by and say to the people in your car, 'this is what hotels used to be like in the 50's and 60's'.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
11  Thank bwco
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I say once in a lifetime because we won't ever sleep there again. Mind you we love South of the Border and all of it's tacky brilliance, but that motel was creepy. We were on our honeymoon and when we called to make reservations were hoping to get one of the "honeymoon" suites we had seen on the old website. They had a sombreo canopy and wow.. sadly we were told they had remodeled and closed those rooms. The next morning we realized they had closed off many sections of rooms. We arrived at about 9:30 at night when it was dark and rainy. I wasn't totally sure I could handle staying at what looked like a horror movie set, but my husband insisted it was something we couldn't pass up since we made it there from NY.
One suggestion if you get here late like we did don't eat at the "hot tamale" it looked to be in pretty rough shape so we drove across the road (left at the exit instead on right) to a waffle house with some very interesting regulars, but the food was pretty good standard waffle house fare.
Pedro's pleasure dome was also a don't for us. The dome was leaking and dripping into the center of the pool, plus there was a pretty busted up tiki bar in there.
As for the rumor that 305 is haunted.. my husband went and checked it out (we also stopped by the stare in the windows of one of the old honeymoon suites (before we were shooed away by a security guard) some of the furniture is still there though the bed has been stripped. I deffinately woudln't have walked around this place alone (as a woman in my early twenties) We also asked at the desk adn they said it wasn't haunted.
We didn't find any bugs in the room until we were about to leave in the morning when we did find one coacroach, but he was dead so I'm not sure if thats good or bad. At least we were about to leave.
This was deffinatly a once in a lifetime shot and i'm not sure it will get much better anytime soon so it was better to stay now I think. I'm pretty sure Pedro's must have been a hopping place at one time, we just seemed to have made our resservations about 20 years too late.
My husband and i would recommend South of the Border but not the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tennisgal86
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Needing to stop for the night on the way to NY pulled into South of the Border to check it out. Stopped first for gas at one of South of the Border's gas pumps. Kids and wife went to the public rest rooms. Gas pumps were broken and filthy. Hand written signs in windows. Employees and what looked like vagrants milling about.
Rest rooms were the worst rest rooms I have seen in some time. Broken toilets, sinks, no soap. water all over the floor. They were buring sticks of incense taped to the walls to mask the smell! My wife said there was an attendant in the Ladies room eating a hamburger. In the mens room very scary looking attendants were hangin out in a group by the stalls. anyone who stops here should be very careful. We stopped at 5 pm. I can not imagine how this place would be at night. We never looked into a room and drove away staying later at a very clean Hampton inn in NC.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank RAC452
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed 2 days and nights. I had been before but not my husband so I wanted him to see it. Yes if you had been there in the past it has changed (but what hasn't). The room was spacoius and sparkling everyone was friendly and very courtious (like family). I had read previous reviews about "bugs" or "roaches". I saw 1 by the pool but they are everywhere they come from the trees. We even have them in Philadelphia and New Jersey and I saw them in Georgia too.(big deal) Lots of places to shop the pools are there for want to swim. We went to relax and enjoy the siights ! The Sombreo Restaurant was really nice Ms. Cat and Ms Mary treated us like long lost family. We arrived on Wednesday and I (having been there before) was a little nostalgic about how things had quieted down and changed but by the time we left on Friday the whole place had come alive again. Oh and there was a review about "NO CREDIT CARDS" we only encountered that once.(again no big deal there was a bank with an atm) The antique shop was nice with a mix of old and new stuff. Would go again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mariandrt
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I didn't stay at the hotel, so I can't comment on it. But we did stop on our way down to Florida from PA. I must say the place seems run down, and seemed like a deserted town, and mind you, it was Saturday at about 5 p.m. We ate at the Sombreros Restaurant on our way to Florida. The food was average, nothing to rave about. On our way back from Florida we stopped so a family member who we had picked up in FL could see the place. I can not believe that they will not accept credit or debit cards in any of the restaurants except the Sombrero restaurant. One employee told us that the cash registers are older than her and they have not upgraded them to accept cards. Who carries around them much cash these days?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Edgar R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Best Western Executive Inn
#6 of 23 in Lumberton
Heart of Dillon Motel
Heart of Dillon Motel
#3 of 7 in Dillon

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!