“Nice for the price but housekeeper leaves a lot to the imagination”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Smoaks
“Nice for the price but housekeeper leaves a lot to the imagination”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My kids and I were looking for a cheap place to go to for a couple of days. The lady that checked us in was very nice and the parking is right in front of the room so that was nice. When we got in the room the carpet was wet and dingy looking. We got a regular room with two double beds for $60 after taxes. There were no little shampoos and the soap was as thin as paper. A small fridge that froze our small amount of food. The housekeeper had a sanitizer strip over the toilet but apparently she stopped there. Behind the toilet on the floor looked like it hadnt been cleaned in awhile. Hairs and dirt quite disturbing. The carnival didnt open up and the outside pool was locked the whole day. The inside pool was nice though but the hot tub was turned off and looked like it hhadn't been cleaned in awhile. They do have an ice cream parlor that was very nice and cheap and a small restaurant that was also nice and reasonable. A nice place if ur not particular about your room. Overall if the room would have been cleaner and the carnival open it would have been nicer.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank amandamunn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I always wanted to stay here when I was a kid. I wish I had because I bet it was nice back then. Everything is old and very worn out and the rooms are dirty. I feel bad writing this review but it is what it is. Their rates rates are super low and I wish someone would convince the owners to remodel and clean up because people wouldn't mind pay double the current rate for a nice clean room. I loved walking outside at night and seeing all the lights of the carnival rides and neon around the buildings. If you are traveling with a dog there is lots of space to walk them and its nice to be able to walk right outside your room and have lots of grass. There are car ports for every room and its nice to be able to keep your car undercover. The indoor pool likes nice and I think there is also an outdoor pool. I think some parts of the hotel are used for permanent residence and that is rarely a good thing. As much as I want to like this place, I just can't. I left wanting to take a shower. Go on to the next town, it's only about 20 minutes North or South, find a nice new Holiday Inn Express type hotel and much nicer selection of places to eat. I hope that someday soon South of The Boarder gets new owners and management who can bring it back to its former glory.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank JAkles

Travelers are raving about these Hamer hotels

Liberty Township, Ohio, Usa
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a great place to stay on the way to Myrtle Beach (or Surfside Beach) from the Ohio area. It puts you at about 90 minutes out. It is nice in a tacky on purpose way. There are a few shops and an indoor pool. A plus and minus about the room set up is that it has a direct entry from a covered car port. This is especially nice with young children because you can leave most things in the car, yet be able to step out to grab something you forgot. On the down side of this, the direct entry off blacktop makes it nearly impossible for them to keep the carpet clean.

Room Tip: Get the Deluxe Room for easy car access.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ScottW889
Edgewater, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The wife and I just completed a 2,000 mile vacation road trip. This was our last stop before returning home. We read the reviews and had second thoughts about staying here. We had always driven by and that was it. This time we made reservations on "Kings Row". The price was $61.00 for the night. Check in was very fast and pleasant. The clerk gave us directions to the room and the key. We found the room with no trouble and parked our large pickup in the carport with no problems. We entered the room and found it to be very clean and large. The bathroom had a huge shower with all the regular soap and shampoo and towels. This room had a refrigerator and an old tv that worked very well. This was our fourth stop on our trip, and the best quality sleep of all. Check out was fast. We will stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Wayne G
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I used to go to SOB on vacation years ago. Moved up here last year, so the wife and I decided to go back.. Not the same.. they changed the menu at the Diner, not worth it anymore. Most of the attractions are either closed or falling apart. Lots of souveneir shops, but no variety and high prices for cheap stuff.. It's ok if you have the money to spend, but otherwise it could use a lot of improvement..

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank tmeador
Pembroke Pines
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place just has to make you laugh. Cheap and cheerful, real family place. Huge rooms, but so, so cheesy! King suite is actually 2 rooms, 2 full bathrooms, but walls are thin. Most stuff even worked.

We drove a long way that day and were tired and wanted a nice glass of wine. When I asked the waitress what labels of white, she told me there is Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. That's it. One choice for each. Okay, so we ordered a bottle of Pinot for $12.95; how bad can it be? It was hilarious. The waitress brought us a 1.5 liter bottle of California Pinot Grigio. It actually was fine!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Laureeeta18
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Got there late and they put us in one of the far back rooms. Walked in past the huge spider hanging in the front door to a room that had dead roaches and other bugs in all the corners of the room. The sleeper sofa mattress had a 12 inch rip at the corner. No sheets or pillows for the sleeper. Bath room had a smell to it. DISGUSTING!!!. Asked for another room. One bedroom. No sleeper sofa in the living room. My kids had to sleep on two love seats. Bathroom toilet did not work. Had to fill trash can in the tub to flush the toilet. DON'T PLAY WITH THE LOCKS EITHER. You can easily lock yourself out of your room and your key won't open the door. You have to get security to unlock it for you. And that may take up to 45 minutes for them to get there. But when you check in they give you a complimentary bottle of champagne. Like I said in my title, the local Board of Health should investigate this place. DON'T GO !!! The tourist trap is ok but stay at another hotel or motel

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms across the street. Ask to see the rooms ahead of time before accepting.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank FrankA349
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Red Roof Inn - Dillon
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 23 in Lumberton
SpringHill Suites Lumberton

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!