“Crossing one off the Bucket List”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Glenville, New York
“Crossing one off the Bucket List”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We have stopped here to look around many times in passing. My wife and I decided we had to stop and stay at least once in our lifetime! Returning from a vacation in Florida to upstate New York. The front desk clerk was very nice and for whatever reason upgraded us to a two-room king suite. It was retro and decorated with a Mexican flair, but very nice. All the creature comforts: 2 full baths, 2 tv's, micorwave, frig. Separate heat controls in each room was nice! Being able to back your car right up to 3 steps from your room's front door under a carport was a big plus! No wheeling a luggage cart across a big parking lot and into an elevator. The pool was very nice! Disappointed that the elevator in the Hat Tower was out of order. Our AARP rate came to $55 including tax. What a bargain! We had breakfast at Pedro's diner before heading out. Good food and service.

Room Tip: Recommend the two-room king suite. A short walk outside to the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank STEPHEN F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Who says the 60's are gone ? The first time I was here I was 10 years old and now Im 60 yrs old. We spent the night on our way from Fort Lauderdale to Atlantic City, N.J. The room was only $52, clean good side but it is retro. Sometimes I like to visit the past, like Williamburg, the Art Decco District of South beach or Jamestwon. We ate at the streak house which was better than I thought it would be, it's Las Vegas Rivera decor Casino. It's a nice way to make a stop on your way North or South

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jim D
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel, but rather stopped to browse the gift shop and grab some food . while at fisrt glance this place looks like a fun place to take a few tacky pictures. But after spending a few minutes outside of your car you will see it is more sinister than that. I would not bring my children anywhere near this place. The gift shop was ok, plenty of mexican related souviners. The women who worked here were helpful.Despite the brightly colored paint, everything here appears deserted. Wandering around the parking lot in broad daylight even seemed dangerous. There were all types of riff-raft shady looking people wandering around in the parking lot who were definitely not tourists. Just walking from the gift shop to the food stand i had to keep looking behind me to make sure no one was following us. The food stand was absolutely disgusting. we ordered a hotdog and fries and both were so incredibly greasy that we threw half of it out. (and we are big fast food people) Two of the three peple in the kitchen were having some kind of disagreement which caused the cashier to stand there doing nothing for ten minutes while we waiting for our already prepared hot dog and fries because she refused to get it for us. We had to wait for the woman in the back to get it. Everything about this place is dirty and disgusting. Their website makes everything look fun and happy. I think we were about 30 years too late to enjoy this attraction. I did not stick around to see their animal exhibits but I only can hope the animals are kept in better conditions than the rest of this place. Dont waste your time on this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Stephanie F

Travelers are raving about these Hamer hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed here with my husband on the way to Myrtle Beach SC. For $52.00 we had a huge room on the opposite side of the attractions. Dont bother staying on the side of the indoor pool they charge more.The room had two double beds but it was so retro we loved it. We had our own carport which was cute and walking distance to the souveneer shops and attractionsi n South of the Border.
They have an indoor pool and outdoor pool, both are nice.
Diner across the street really doesnt look like a diner but they had good food.
The mexican place I would stay away from, we both had belly aches from.
If you have kids definitly check out the reptile lagoon !!!!!!
We take our pillows from home and we forgot them in the hotel, We called them up and they were gracious to hold on to them until we returned back home a total of 7 days.
We would definitly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Havie1818
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

This is a cool little place to visit. Nice huge king room very clean..indoor pool and jacuzzi was nice and the food at the diner was very good......i would defiantly be going back. I was passing through on the way back to Jacksonville, FL but will be back soon.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank lashanda h
New York City
Reviewed August 22, 2012

It is true that the rooms are nothing special, it is a typical hotel, and for $50, you should not complain. We stopped with the kids, and they LOVED the outdoor pool, Indoor pool, and diner next door. The amusement park is $8 per person for all rides and minigolf, and the whole Pedro's park is a cheesy great stop on long roadtrips - plenty of photo opportunities and cheap shopping to entertain kids. The room was standard - 2 beds, tv, bathroom. I read bad reviews and was so nervous, but it was clean, and we felt very safe. It was a Saturday night, you would think it would be rowdy, but was not. The car stays parked a foot from your door, and the backdoor of the rooms opens to the outdoor pool. I would recommend it, it was fun! My only complaint would be no breakfast, and also that the front desk staff was young and inexperienced, and not too friendly.

Room Tip: They have 2 types, go for the cheaper option, the only difference is size.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Karolina516
rutherford nj
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have read all these terrible reviews and laughed out loud !!! You have to have a sense of humor to stay here. Thank GOD we didn't see any evidence of bugs or critters.I guess we got lucky and got a double room with 2 full baths and it seemed dated but clean...It is very retro and we are glad we stayed here,just to knock it off our bucket list.We didn't use the pools or anything-it was just a quick stop-over between NJ and SC. We brought our own pillows and forgot them there and they were very nice and are mailing them back to me for free and I really appreciate that(They will go right in the super hot dryer to be safe) I hope this place doesn't go out of business because it really would be a great loss.... Stay here and keep them in business and have a sense of humor people....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chris S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Red Roof Inn - Dillon
Fairfield Inn Lumberton
#4 of 23 in Lumberton
SpringHill Suites Lumberton
Holiday Inn Express Pembroke

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!