“WE LOVE SOB”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Wow we love this place . Peddlers streak House is better than any out back steak house i ever went to. We stayed in the Honey Moon Suite and it was a blast!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NyDeathRow

Reviewed January 3, 2008

We go to the South of the Border motel every year with the kids. The room rates can't be beat for the size of the room - HUGE rooms for about $40. We've never had any problems with the staff, they got a crib to us (when we needed one) without any hassle, and while they're not sparkling bright rooms, they are clean enough and comfortable enough to get us through. The gift shops are ridiculous, and going up the elevator to walk around inside Pedro's hat is dirty and silly. But we do it, because the kids absolutely love it. Then we take a quick trip to the pool - clean and well maintained - and everybody sleeps well.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank keerstn
Reviewed November 20, 2007

I stayed at a room in this hotel on a Monday night, with hardly any customers. My room was nasty, stains on the carpet, bed not completely made up.

The cost was $65, hardly a bargain, and to make matters worse, we had one of our cars towed, at a cost of $100. Trying to explain that we are paying customers to the staff was an exercise in futility. They looked like uneducated dirty redne@#&s.
A call to Mr Moody, the "manager" was a waste of time to put it mildly.

I would recommend to stay away from this motel and to stay in Dillon, close to exit 193. You'll be glad you read this post before wasting your money.

Never again.

Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank getinthezone
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We were on along road trip back from visiting my parents in Florida and needed a place to stay. We decided to try out this road side tourist trap pretty much out of sheer curiosity. We stayed inthe premier suite pictured on all of their brochures because we needed a seperate room for our 8 month old twins. The decor looked like it had not been updated since the hotel opened in the 50, but we expected that. What we did not expect was for our daughter to crawl behind the sofa and find a dead roach to play with. Freaked me out. Then, upon closer insepction of the shag carpet we discovered that it was literally littered with old rotting bits of food, not wonder there was a roach problem! My husband was too exhausted to get back in the car and drive further, so I pent a sleepless night huddled in bed with the babies worried that bugs were going to crawl all over us. Finally around 5 Am he agree to get out of there! Awful!!!!

Stayed: April 2007
6  Thank wendy786
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This place SUCKS! I'm from N.J. I like 5 star motels, but when I travel, I know you have to get what you get. Boy, did I get it. Beds are very uncomfortable, its LOUD, TV reception equils that of the old rabbit ears of the 1960's, the air conditioner is colder in a 1970 Dodge Dart. It's humid, moldy and smelly in the room. Lighting is piss-poor; use the map light in your car if you have to read. I sure hope I did'nt bring any roaches with me. The furniture...I threw out better stuff than that.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with family
8  Thank Jerzejoe
Reviewed July 14, 2007

We picked our nieces up from Florida and thought it would be nice to stay at SOB to give them some fun. A lot of the businesses were closed. We went to eat at the diner. When we arrived there was a "no credit cards accepted" sign on the door. We did return with cash and decided to bring our food home. The restaurant was was very smelly and seriously needed a VERY good scrubbing. Our room was clean upon 1st look, but that was sort lived. The bathroom floor was moldy in the grout. There was thick black goo on the intake fans and the vents need a cleaning (yesterday). The carpet was sticky underneath. I would be surprised if a steam cleaner was ever used in any of the rooms. We opened our back door to go to the pool (which is very cloudy) and there was a family of feral cats living in the common area and it smelled like a litter box. The stores to shop in have not seen a coat of paint or any other TLC probably since inception. We were going to meet my family there upon my nieces return and we decided not to stop again. There is a chain hotel down the interstate for a little less with more amenities - take the drive. Except for the lights at night, my nieces were not impressed.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank southboundtraveler
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My grandson (5-years) and I stopped at SOB on the way home from a trip to VA. He wanted very much to spend the night at the SOB motel. I was a little leery since I hadn't had a chance to check out the reviews on TripAdvisor. I checked with the front desk and they had an Economy room (no cable) for 39.00/night, a Standard room (King standard has limited cable) for 44.00/night, and a Deluxe room for 60.00/night. I opted for the King standard so that my grandson could watch the Cartoon network. The room was very dated (the motel is old), but very clean. The bathroom, carpet, bed, and furniture were all clean. The furniture was actually dust-free. I've stayed in much nicer motels that don't bother to dust the tops of their TV bureaus. The room we stayed in also had a small refrigerator. The motel has a large indoor pool, a hot tub and a small kid's pool. They also have a large outdoor pool. We didn't have any problems with bugs in the room, but there are mosquitoes outside around the shrubs. Typical in the South. I did see a pest control company spraying around the buildings the morning that we checked out.

I agree that there is absolutely nothing to draw adults to SOB, but the kids still love it. If you're looking for 4-5 star comfort and amenities, you're not going to be happy at this motel. If you just want a clean, cheap room to spend the night in, then you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank ccnanny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Hampton Inn Lumberton
17 mi away
Southern Inn Lumberton
Southern Inn Lumberton
#13 of 23 in Lumberton

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!