“Smokey, scratchy brightly lite”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hamer
South of the Border
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hamer
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We tried to eat at a few of the restaurents. All but one it seems allow smokers! Wake up Pedro, this the 2011. Walked out of all of them. The one that did not allow smokers was nice but very pricey. Cost two of us 30 bucks for the salad bar and soft drinks.

Room was bright enough to read a book by with all the lights turned out. The sheet was thin and scratchy. The blanket felt like the back of a foam backed rub.

I gotta wonder if this joint is owned by a tobacco company.

Room Tip: Try another place
Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FloridaJoeMel

Reviewed January 19, 2011

We have always stayed here on our way to Florida. Wasn't the Ritz, but for the price, was comfortable, conveniently located, and served the purpose. This year we discovered they jacked their room prices over 30.00 a night, without offering any better quality for the price. they now offer a continental breakfast with the room, that we could get for around 5.00 at any diner. The rooms are basically the same - not bad but not great. This year the shower didn't work, the heater fan kept us awake most of the night with the noise, and a complaint at the front desk was met with a shrug and the comment 'i'll pass it along and they will get it fixed'. Unfortunately, this will be the last night we spend here. there is no longer any value for the dollar to be had here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank OntarioCarolyn
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This hotel is a convenience hotel in the route between NJ and Fl, however I prefered to stay in Florence, SC. People do not really find a good food, everything is junk food, poor quality of souvenirs and old buildings. We stopped just for being curious at all the signs on the route. They should renovate the places, the roads and up the quality of food to be offer.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Isa2011
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I stayed there Oct 4th 2010 in room #129 and it was just plain discusting. The tub, Toilet and carpet were all very dirty. The sheets looked as though someone already slept in the bed. I knew I would not get my $$$ back so I just slept in my car in their carport and used the dirty bathroom toilet after I cleaned it. They gave me a voucher for a complementary breakfast but the resturant was closed so not even that was any good. I can't give no stars on this review but I would if I could. I suggest you should stay anyplace but this run down getto.The place is an expensive dump.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank Ronnie948
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Room smelled, no water came out of the hot water spiquet in the shower, blanket on the bed was so old it was hard and looked like it would crumble, sheets were wrinkled, box springs on the bed next to mine looked like someone bled on it and they couldn't get it clean (it should have been thrown away). I didn't sleep well I was afraid of getting something (bugs) from the bed. My friend stays there 2 or 3 times a year and said they remodeled the room. I would hate to have seen it before the remodel. Would not stay again or even let my dog sleep on the floor. Had chairs and table out back to sit on and they were filthy. I can't believe my friend thinks this place is ok.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank Scrappy4
Reviewed May 25, 2010

the rooms are old, they are not clean. this is not a place to stay. I checked in went to my room and i took off the dirty bedspread and found a chewed up blanket ... i will try to post a photo of what i saw when i took off the bedspread . Anyway, we could not sleep there and drove another 30 miles to a hampton inn . if you are used to a 4 star or 5 star place this place is a 2 at best . evertything there is not runing, out of order, or falling apart . it is really sad, but i dont think the south of the boarder we knew in the 70's as little kids or the 80's is going to be with us much longer as a full resort .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bocaguy6
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Staying at SOB Motel was a dream come true for me. My parents took us here often as I was growing up, and I wanted to see if my memory was correct. It was all about the nostalgia. I remembered this place as a fun oasis in the middle of the long drives to Florida from NJ.

As an adult, I can say that the rooms and the motel itself have not changed much since 1979. However, though the rooms were old-fashioned - they were clean. That's all I worry about. There aren't any amentities - no coffee maker, hair dryer, or little bottles of shampoo. There was a cube sized mini-fridge and cable TV. Like I said, this room was like going back in time.

We felt safe here and encountered no problems. We walked around to the little shops and the kids bought some of the trinkets that SOB is famous for. There are a lot of different places to eat - ranging from counter service, greasy spoon diner, to the Sombrero restaurant which had a salad bar and a menu with a variety of dishes.

Some parts of the motel were run down. The tennis/basketball court looked awful, and looked like it hadn't been in use in a long time.

However, I would definitely stop here again, especially for the kids. They were so excited to count all the billboards leading to SOB. When we got there, to them ... I think it felt like an amusement park. There were things for them to climb on, a bridge to walk over, and rides to go on.

If you visit SOB but expect the Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. If you ever came here as a child though, it's still a fun place to stop for the night!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Kramberry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamer
Best Western Executive Inn
#6 of 23 in Lumberton
Heart of Dillon Motel
Heart of Dillon Motel
#3 of 7 in Dillon

Been to South of the Border? Share your experiences!