“Good breakfast, friendly staff”
Review of Southern Thyme Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Southern Thyme Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The breakfast is tasty and very reasonably priced. All the staff are friendly and work hard to get your drinks and food to you quickly. I've never eaten any meal here other than breakfast, but it is a family favorite for weekend breakfast. I personally like the french toast. The pancakes or biscuits and gravy are huge so order wisely!

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Having grown-up in the South, I'm always looking to find those throw-back, hole-in-the-wall, restaraunts that serve great Southern food, albeit it unhealthy, have friendly Customer service, and don't charge an arm and a leg in the process. There's a lot of imitation places out there, but Southern Thyme is genuine and fits the bill for all of elements that make a great down-home restaraunt. Oner of the best parts of Southern Thyme is the great diversity of people who frequent the establishment. From farmers to students to accoutants, all are welcome and seem to fit in well in this setting. Unfortunely I've seen some inconsistency in the quality of the food, which I will detail further in a little bit.

Southern Thyme is located in the old downtown area of Greer, which is just to the east of Greenville, SC (great town!, but that's a whole different review). As soon as you set foot onto mainstreet you'll be transformed back to a much different and simpler time (think Mayberry). Greer is making a come-back with several neat shops, bars, and restaraunts lining the street, and the people there are extremely friendly.

Back to Southern Thyme. I've been here twice. The first time the food blew me away. The potatoes tasted like they were dug out of the earth 5 minutes before I ordered them, and the biscuits and gravy was heavenly. There were chunks of sausage the size of quarters and just the right amount of sage and pepper. I had the breakfast casserole, and my wife had the breakfast platter (eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, etc...). All was delicious! Service was genuine Southern! Caring, personal (lot's of "Dears" and "Darlings"), albeit maybe not as hurried as some would like, and that's fine with me!

I recently returned, with out of town guests in tow. The service was just as good, but a little slower (even by Southern standards), mainly due to a large crowd that had come down to mainstreet for a car rally. The biscuits and gravy were as good as before. I ordered the breakfast platter, which was very good. The bacon however tasted old and had that look that makes one think it had laid under the heat lamp way too long. Also the eggs were not cooked as ordered on several of the plates, and did not have a lot of flavor.

Since we had out of town guests I made it a point not to complain too agressively to our server, but did make mention when paying the young lady at the register. Again, I had no complaint about the service, and most of the food was good, but the bacon tasted old and the eggs weren't done right. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate this last visit a 7.

We look forward to returning to Southern Thyme to give them another try, and to get some more of that heavenly biscuit & gravy as well as the potatoes!