“Disappointed, poor bookkeeping, overbilling, small rooms”

Hyatt Regency Greenville
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
GreenLeadersBronze level
my town
“Disappointed, poor bookkeeping, overbilling, small rooms”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Reserved 2 months in advance. Charged 1 nights bill at time of reservation and then a surprise charge a month later with no notice. Took 3 phone calls to be told they had changed how they were working our group rate. When we arrived, we had reserved and executive room, but they did not have it available and it would not be available until the next night. Just stayed in the same room rather than moving everything. Had to go to the sales office because the front desk did not have record of the 2 payments then on the 3rd day they hit the card again for the regular rate rather than the group rate. No refrigerator in rooms, but they say they will bring you one. It never got there. Coffee maker is kept under the night stand and there is really no place to set it up. Toilet seat had been painted to cover marks as well as the bathtub. Ceiling tile in the bathroom not set in place and very dusty and dirty. Very small closet, no safe in room & no dresser, and the TV is located in an odd place--it swivels, but not enough for easy viewing from the bed or one of the chairs. Low water pressure, and you get 2 towels. Our view was of of a run down building with broken windows and the windows do not open. Only an outdoor pool. Basically a hotel for Adults on business. Saw arguments between other guests and parking valet that elevated to the manager and guests having trouble with the front desk. My daughter says a Hampton Inn is better than this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the time you took to share your recent visit with us. I am very sorry for any inconvenience regarding your billing. I was here on Friday when you arrived and was also in the sales office when you came in to discuss the issue. I was glad that our staff was able to explain to you that because you initially booked a room for Friday and Saturday you were asked to pay a deposit which was requested by the group meeting planner. And then when you came back and booked Thursday night the system asked for a deposit for that night as well, thinking that it was a separate reservation. Hopefully after the staff explained this, you were able to understand why you were asked for a deposit twice. I am sorry that the conversation you had with our reservation coordinator didn't clear that question up for you prior to your arrival. It is unfortunate that we did not have the room type you requested available for you however; we did reduce your rate because of the inconvenience. I appreciate your assessment of the room and our staff has already begun to address those issues. Thank you again for your candor. While we typically receive positive comments regarding our rooms, we are always very interested in knowing where we need improvement. Again, I apologize for inconvenience and because of that, I would like to try to regain your confidence. When your travels bring you back to Greenville, please call my office and allow me to personally see to your reservation. Thank you and we look forward to chance to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Charlotte,NC
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very nice new feel. Rooms comfortable. Lobby is open. The roost restaurant is good food and great craft beer choices. Easy walking to restaurants and bars. Staff is attentive and had a solution for everything. Only complaint is the lobby bar service was slow which was a shame as it's a great bar. We took our group down the street due to the service. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent experience here at the Hyatt Regency Grenville. I was very glad to read that you felt the rooms to be comfortable and that you enjoyed our Roost restaurant. I do apologize if you felt the service in Orb, our lobby bar to be slow. As you know, we had an usual amount of people in the hotel during this time and the bar was extremely busy. I know the staff did all they could to provide exceptional service to everyone given the situation, and I am sorry that we were slow to service your group. I am pleased to know however, that you would return and we all look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville and for your candor.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

GREAT bed. Good climate control. Lots of pillows and excellent blackout curtains on the windows. My view was non-existent, but I wasn't there to look out the window so that was OK. The desk and office chair were very comfortable and the toiletries were first rate. The desk clerk comped my internet access (which I shouldn't have had to ask for, given that much cheaper hotels routinely provide it free).

Now, here's where you fall down ... The only place to stow non-hanging clothes was three tiny drawers in the television console that was apparently meant to double as a dresser. There was a nice chair and ottoman with a floor lamp, but you couldn't see the television from it. The "barn door" for the bathroom was very trendy, but it fails on 2 levels. One, latching it requires both hands and some real dexterity and second - that nightlight in the bathroom behind the mirror? The one you can't TURN OFF? Well, those frosted glass panels in the door ensure that the glow of the nightlight joins the glow from the sizable gap under the door to help light up the bedroom. Did I mention how much I hate light in a bedroom that should be pitch black?

Bed was great, but honestly? Those high count linens are pilling. Not enough to be truly annoying but enough to notice and enough to say that someone in housekeeping isn't paying attention. I do commend you for the size of the bath towels, but in this day and age of bag restrictions, if you don't offer robes, how about bath sheets? Speaking of paying attention, I sure did at 5:30 a.m. when the iHome alarm went off. Even in a recent stay at a Fairfield Inn, housekeeping had cleared the alarm settings before I checked in. And 5:30 in the morning is not the best time in the world to try to figure out how to shut off an Apple device. Only the prospect of paying for it stopped me from hurling in into a wall. And then Saturday night, when my energy was flagging, I had to outwait an EXTREMELY noisy sorority party on the floor below that made my walls reverberate with vulgar rap and hip home for a couple of hours - or go through being moved to a different room in mid-evening.

And speaking of walls? Scuff marks on walls and furniture, fraying carpet in the elevator lobby - when a guest puts a scrape right across the largest piece of furniture in the room, don't send someone up with a touchup pen. I don't know what's worse - a piece of visible damage or a bad repair. Either way, not exactly what you expect from a Hyatt Regency. There was even some sort of mark on the ceiling. The eyecandy lobby doesn't quite make up for the apparent neglect in the room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I appreciate all of your feedback, as we are always striving for perfection and your remarks will certainly assist us moving forward. Your comments regarding the bathroom and bedroom are very important and we will review them with our renovation team. There is no excuse for the alarm to be set or furniture not being touched up properly. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Your business is very important to us and I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I hope that the next time your travels bring you through Greenville you will allow me to personally see to your reservations and attempt to regain your confidence. I will look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here for a conference in October and then spent an extra night on my own. My room was on the eighth floor. The lobby is really stunning and I was able to watch all the activity, since I had an interior atrium room. The proximity to restaurants, shops, museums, etc. is great. I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go. Falls Park is about seven or eight blocks away. The customer service was outstanding.

Room Tip: Eighth floor interior atrium view, if you like people-watching and heights.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am glad you found our customer service to be outstanding. Our team does their best to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful visit while here in Greenville. The atrium rooms do in fact give you the opportunity to enjoy all that is happening and our downtown location is indeed great for shopping and dining anywhere along Main St. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope that we may have the chance to serve you again.
Thank you for all of your comments.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I'll cut to the chase with my review. I stayed here the last time 5 years ago to the day on business. Since then the hotel has went through countless renovations and spent millions of dollars. The problem is they didn't spend it on the rooms. The rooms are exactly as they were 5 years ago. Dark and dingy. I was in room 731. They put me in a handicap room with a king size bed. (No I'm not handicapped) There is no vanity to place your bathroom items like hair brush, deodorant, cologne, shaving cream, toothbrush and tooth paste, you get the idea. I called down to the desk to inquire why I was given a handicapped room and was told Hyatt's policy is to guarantee a room, that doesn't mean what type of room. I asked why they failed to mention that at check in, they didn't have an answer. I was also right off the elevator and heard the elevator ding all night and people talking. They only had a half roll of toilet paper in the room and I had to call for more, they wanted me to check the room for more toilet paper before they sent someone up with more. They only had one bar of soap for both the sink and shower. The bed sheets weren't even tucked in on the sides (maybe for handicapped people?) I don't know. I needed to secure a valuable box measuring 8" long by 6" wide by 5" high. I was told there was nowhere in the hotel that they could do that. (It was no problem at the Westin) When I first booked my room they took my email address to send the confirmation. It never came. I called for days asking about it. I was finally told they have email problems and to give it a few "days", a few days to get an email, REALLY??? it never came. Mr. Banker the Manager sent it from his personal email AFTER I contacted him by phone.. In closing, stay at the Westin down the block, they appreciate your business. The lobby there is beautiful, they have FREE USA Today newspaper, FREE bottled water (as much as you want) in the room, it's $4 a bottle at the Hyatt. I will say the restaurant at the Hyatt called "The Roost" has terrific food and the staff is young college students who treat you like royalty. As far as being made to feel welcome I didn't feel it here, and for the same exact money across town at the Westin you get a Great Room that is bright and cheery.
When I checked out the girl asked how my stay was. I told her I was disappointed with the room and the location of the room. She didn't even give me the standard "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay" STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: Don't stay in handicapped room 731
1 Thank PromoGuyNY
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit. I appreciate your housekeeping comments and we will review them with our staff. Our team does try to exceed expectations and we take very seriously those incidents where we may have dropped the ball. Our rooms typically receive positive reviews and I do apologize that you just didn't appreciate the décor. We will be sure to review all of your comments with our staff as we continue to strive for exceptional customer service.
I would like to try to regain your confidence and perhaps the next time you are in Greenville you will call my office and allow me to personally see to your reservation.
Thanks you again for your feedback; we do look forward to the chance to serve you again.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Hyatt was our host for a blogging conference, and it was absolutely gorgeous! The food was amazing and the staff was always very friendly. The same conference will be held there next year, and I can't wait to go!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
The staff here at the Hyatt Regency Greenville sincerely appreciates that you and your group chose us to house your conference this year. We are all very pleased that you felt the hotel to be "absolutely gorgeous" and the food "amazing". I am glad you found the staff to be friendly as well. The team works hard to create a positive guest experience and I am glad you enjoyed your visit. We are all looking forward to your return and the chance to serve you again.
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a sharp looking property, and I certainly found my room to be comfortable. Having said that, the tile floor in front of the adjoining room door meant that I could here a LOT more next door than I wanted to. I obviously can't fault the hotel for putting me next to a cougher, but this is probably not the first or last time that one side of the door was trying to get to sleep for a 6:30 wakeup, while the other side was loudly getting back to his room after 1am. I would also point out that a number of people in my party were not able to have their rooms cleaned by 2pm this past Saturday, which was problematic as we were getting ready to attend a late afternoon event.

While the lobby area is visually appealing, I was not a big fan of the piped music everywhere.
As I was in front waiting for my taxi at 7:45 on Sunday morning, I had to listen to club lounge kind of music that screamed "hipster pretension" to my ears. As one exits from the back onto Main Street the volume level of the music is more appropriate for a block party than a hotel patio (which was totally empty on a cool fall day, making the music even louder).

Overall, the location and the staff are so good that I would certainly consider staying here again despite these minor issues.

Room Tip: Make sure your room doesn't have an adjoining door unless you want one!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am glad you found the rom to be comfortable. I am sorry for the noisy cougher next door to your room. I certainly apologize for the inconvenience. I also appreciate your comment regarding the music in the valet parking circle area. We do try to perk up our guests with an upbeat sound and there are occasions where not everyone agrees. Your opinion matters and I appreciate the feedback. I was glad to read that you would return upon your next trip to Greenville. We look forward to that and the opportunity to serve you gain.
Thank you for your candor.