“Not up to par”

Hyatt Regency Greenville
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend Aug 9th thru Aug 11th. When we arrived at the hotel, a young guy approached our car and told us "you cannot go up to room until you move the car". I understand that this hotel has limited parking for check-in but I think they could manage to make this process a bit easier on the guest. And maybe the young man can learn to be a bit more courteous to the arriving guest, as he is the first person we spoke to. The hotel itself is very nice, open spaces and such. I had to wait a bit to find a bellhop to help me tote my luggage to the room, since my husband had to hurry to park the car in the adjacent parking lot. The girl that check us in was very nice and gave us an upgrade because we are Hyatt members. The room was a king atrium, which was a large room with a dinning table, additional seating and a view of the inside of the hotel. The problem was the air conditioner, which could not keep the room cool enough. We complained and an engineer was sent, who told us that these rooms did not have big enough air conditioners and that his boss (seems like a lady) was aware of it but had not found a solution. He said other king rooms had bigger air conditioners and were cooler, so beware!! The pool area definitely needs remodeling, could be much nicer. The exercise room was very nice, with cooled towels and fruit. We ate at Roost one night and even though it was expensive, the food was marvelous!! For breakfast not so much, we ate breakfast at The Westin and it was much, much better. Overall even though I like Hyatt's I probably would not stay in this one again, I think I would give The Westin a try.

Room Tip: Beware of atrium rooms in the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allie8887
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville and for your feedback. I appreciate hearing about your valet experience. I apologize for the manner in which you were greeted. We outsource that activity and I can assure you that I will review your incident with the valet company. I am pleased our Guest Service Agent was very nice at check in and was able to give you an upgrade. In addition we will certainly look at the A/C in your room as well. I am glad you enjoyed dinner in Roost. I appreciate all of your candor and hope that when your travels bring you back to Greenville you will allow us to serve you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This place is all about common areas, status and location. The room is no better than a Hampton inn, country inn, And a Hilton Garden Inn far surpasses. The draw is the common areas are gorgeous, the "status of staying at a 'Hyatt Regency' (ooooo la la) and the great location downtown. Otherwise no fridge. Old tobacco smells in the room and dated decor. I guess they justify the price with throwing in a larger tube of toothpaste and some decent shampoo. Not worth it. Save your dough unless you're status hungry.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank K W
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am pleased you enjoyed the common area and the location. All of our rooms are smoke free and I am therefore sorry you didn't feel the room had a clean odor; we will certainly look into that with our housekeeping dept. We do in fact, offer refrigerators upon request, I am sure had you asked the front desk, they would have been more than glad to provide one for you. Our rates are reviewed multiple times during each day and I can assure you they are not only competitive, but in many cases, less expensive than some of our downtown neighbors.
I appreciate your candor and hope that we may have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend. First, I was very impressed by the lobby, bar and restaurant area. We were told they did a recent multimillion dollar renovation and it showed! The hotel was clean, everyone was friendly and the location in downtown Greenville couldn't have been more perfect.

the only downsides we found were that the staff gave "touristy" recommendations and that the air conditioner in the room was SOOOOOO darn loud. It woke us up every time it kicked on during the night. Other than that, the rooms are nice and comfortable.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I was very pleased to read that you found the hotel clean, that everyone was friendly and that the location in downtown Greenville couldn't have been more perfect. I will certainly discuss with the team the type of suggestions they are making and will definitely have the A/C checked out in that room.
I sincerely appreciate your candor and hope when you are back in Greenville you will allow us the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Reserved a king; arrived at 10:30 and was told no king rooms were available. They apparently gave my reserved king room to someone else. My daughter just moved to Greenville and my wife and I will probably be visiting often. Won't stay here again, though.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank RunningDan

Thank you for your candor. I am very sorry you did not receive the king bed that you requested. Every hotel tries to do all they can to honor requests like this when they are made, and occasionally an incident like this will happen; many time because previous guests that were due to leave will sometimes extend their stay which of course, like dominoes, affects everyone's good intentions.
I do want to try and regain your confidence and hope when you return to Greenville, you will contact me directly and allow me to personally see to your reservations.
We appreciate you choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville and hope we will have the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed here 18 months ago on business and thought that the renovations done have improved its overall appeal. Except for the non-existent free wi-fi. Two-night stay on business again as they could not accommodate me for my planned 11 nights in Greenville. Brilliant Jennifer on reception; really pleased to be welcomed like that. I was upgraded to an executive room as the hotel was full; very spacious and comfortable, but no wi-fi signal in the room. Breakfast was about 20$, ok if you eat a lot, but a bit rich if all you have is cereal and coffee. So for 2 nights..ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville and for your feedback. I know Jennifer will appreciate the recognition; she has certainly been a great addition to our team. Also, I want you to know that we are indeed aware of our wifi challenge, and as we speak, we are in the process of not only changing providers, but installing new equipment and widening our broad band as well. This should completely alleviate the problems you have encountered; thank you for bringing it to our attention.
I do hope that when your travels bring you back to Greenville, you will give us the chance to serve you again. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hyatt on a business trip and had a nice experience with one glaring exception.

The hotel lobby is lovely - airy and spacious. Staff were friendly, courteous, and helpful. My room was a fairly standard hotel room with the typical Hyatt amenities. Room service was timely, and all my foods prepared as ordered. And you can't beat the location! Main Street has so many lovely shops and restaurants - I would love to come back for a personal trip.

BUT. Good gravy, was the wireless internet service bad. I had a lot to do, and the connection was just awful. I mean, I would be typing emails, and the lag was so bad the words appearing on the screen were showing up when my fingers were typing 3-4 sentences later. And they charge $9.95 a night for this??? I even went down to the Business Center (which, by the way, the guide in the room told me was on the 8th floor, but really is in the lobby), and it was no better there. Opening a pdf that had been emailed to me took several minutes (and then crashed). And I couldn't figure out any way to actually print that pdf once I successfully got it open. Another person in the Business Center told me that she was having the same slowness problems. I don't know if this was an anomaly or what, but it definitely impacted my stay. If I couldn't be reassured that this was not a typical experience, I would not stay here again for business.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa S
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am so glad you found the hotel lobby to be lovely - airy and spacious. That you felt the staff friendly, courteous, and helpful. I was also pleased to read that your Room Service was timely, and all your food prepared as ordered.
I am so very sorry you had issues with our internet service; but there is GOOD NEWS! We have recognized that there is an issue with connectivity and we are, as we speak in the process of not only changing internet providers and installing new equipment, we are also increasing band width as well. This should eliminate all of the issues you encountered.
I sincerely appreciate your candor and do hope that when your travels bring you back to Greenville, you will allow us the chance to serve you again; and experience a greatly enhanced internet experience as well.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Beautiful Hotel, excellent Front Desk staff, all of them I encountered were more welcoming than ever, you don't get that a lot. They really did care. Great location in Greenville, overall I had a wonderful experience and will definitely be back again! Great Job!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville and for your kind words.
I was pleased to read that you felt the hotel to be beautiful, and the front desk staff to be excellent and more than welcoming. You are correct when you observed that they really do care. I am glad you had wonderful experience and hope that when your travels bring you back, you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.