“Very nice hotel in downtown Greenville”

Hyatt Regency Greenville
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Missoula, Montana
“Very nice hotel in downtown Greenville”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed this hotel, it's amenities, and especially it's proximity to the great Main Street of Greenville. Lots of fabulous restaurants in easy walking distance. Hotel has a nice restaurant and bar and staff is very courteous. Highly recommend staying here.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mtarmygriz
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am very pleased you enjoyed the hotel and our amenities; as well as the convenience of our location downtown. I also appreciate that you enjoyed our restaurant; Roost, and the bar. I am glad you felt our employees were courteous, as they do try to create great memories for all of our guests.
I hope the next time you are in Greenville, you will give us the chance to serve you again.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Flat Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great location. Walk everywhere in charming downtown Greenville. Nicely renovated guest rooms. Excellent lunch at the upstairs "Rooster" restaurant and great hamburger later at night at the lobby bar. Had a fabulous meal at Stellers (sp) restaurant down the street (next to Trio's and up a flight of stairs).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind assessment of your visit to the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am glad you enjoyed your experience in both Roost and Orb. The hotel is indeed convenient to all that downtown has to offer and I was glad to read that you took advantage of our location.
We appreciate you visiting our hotel; we look forward to serving you again.
South Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was eager to see the renovations. Everything that you can see is new. The room looked and smelled fresh. Unfortunately the noise from the hall was so loud that I swore there was a microphone amplifying the sound. I heard no street noise.

To give you an idea of how inaffective the door was at blocking noise I heard a guest walk past my room who was eating a snack. He opened a canned drink and I could hear the can pop. I could hear every single word that was said.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I was pleased to read that you felt everything looked and smelled fresh. I was sorry to hear that you had a noise problem coming from outside your room. We will certainly look into that situation and thank you for the feedback.
I appreciate you choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville and look forward to serving you again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Greenville and was plesantly surprised at the quality of the hotel and the accomodations. I was told that they had recently renovated and was throughly impressed with what they had done with the hotel. The staff was excellent from the doorman to housekeeping it was very obvious that the GM runs a good ship because there was consistency in every department that I came in contact with. The overall feel of the hotel was wonderful and the restaurants were exceptional.
Would highly recommend this hotel and the location of the hotel right in the middle of the action of Greenville made it even more enjoyable.

Great Hotel.....

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite which is always preferable. We had some friends with us that stayed in a standa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for visiting the Hyatt Regency Greenville; and for your feedback. It appears you definitely enjoyed your visit! I am pleased you found the staff to be excellent and the restaurant exceptional. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Greenville, you will allow us to serve you again.
Greenville
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went for dinner and to see the renovations. In order to get to the lobby you have to walk through the wall of cigarette smoke. By the time you get through it you have smoked a pack. Lobby is very nice and the food was good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CAChilds
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you thought the lobby was very nice and the food was good. I am sorry you felt you had to walk through smoke to get into lobby. We do have a small area that smoking is allowed, however it really isn't that close to the main entrance at all. We will however monitor the area to ensure a smoke free entrance.
Thank you again for your candor, we do look forward to serving you again.
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Looking forward to experiencing the Hyatt after recent renovations, I attended a three-day conference there. I found most of the changes to be problematic rather than improvements. There is so much wasted space on the second floor where the restaurant used to be, where now there are couches and chairs and low coffee-table type tables, which were constantly empty. And to get on the list for a seat in the restaurant, one has to wind one's way through the dark, crowded restaurant to find the hostess. No sign points the way. We finally asked a waiter to direct us to the hostess, who was literally at a podium in the middle of the restaurant. No greeter or hostess at the front. The restaurant seating area overlooking the lobby was closed while we were there, which created a definite lack of available seating in the restaurant. Don't know if that's temporary of if it's a permanent thing. The lighting in the restaurant is incredibly low and mostly indirect, even at breakfast, which means you can't read the free newspaper that is available. Breakfast buffet was pricey and nothing special. The air conditioning unit in our room rattled and clicked noisily and interrupted sleep. The ATM was out of order and others told me it had been out of order all week. The vending machines were mostly empty. I've stayed in Hampton Inns that were better organized, better equipped and more beautifully appointed and maintained.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy all of our creative nooks that give our guests many options from which to relax, meet with others, or get a little business done in an environment other than in their guest room; we receive many rave reviews about this option. Roost, our new restaurant has huge signage as you enter from the hotel, directing our guests to the hostess podium; I am sorry you missed it as you entered the room. I am sorry you felt other hotels were better appointed then this newly renovated property that has garnered the attention of so many. I do appreciate your feedback however, and hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Greenville for a few days in late April 2013. My experience wasn't the best, but the hotel does have redeeming features. Other reviews for this property seem to vary wildly - which may indicate a lack of consistency between rooms, service experiences, and expectations. That means you may be rolling the dice when booking here.

Pros:
- As many have said, the location is fantastic - within walking distance to everywhere Greenville. It helps that Greenville is both small and a very walkable city, but the location is good nevertheless.
- The atrium is monstrous - one half of the building is consumed by it, and the ceiling is the full height of the building. There is a lot of seating, lots of conference rooms, bars, and a very nice restaurant located within the atrium with loads of room to spare.
- Front desk service was courteous and helpful - thanks!
- Room decor was modern, up-to-date, and the bathroom looked nice (although it wasn't quite functional due to the wide-swinging door).
- Complimentary toiletries and shower were great!

Cons:
- A higher-than-expected number of stains and damage were found. A stain on the recliner, milky stains on the wood of the chest of drawers, and also stains on the carpet. What appeared to be rust on the closet doors was unsightly as well.
- Very little sound insulation for the doors - there is a large gap at the bottom that *does not* help a thing.
- As the gap at the bottom of the door implies, there is a lot of light leakage in this room. The full door outline was brightly visible at night, and my room was situated near one of the glass walls of the atrium. This wall is lit up at night and their light-blocking curtains didn't fully cover the wall of windows. As anyone that hates light leakage will attest, it's either all or none. At the Hyatt Regency, good luck with getting a dark room.
- Amazingly, with all the light leakage, during the day, the room was very dim - I felt like I was in a steakhouse. Every single light was on, the room was dimly lit (see pictures).
- I had to prop the TV with a shoe because the huge tangle and weight of wires leading from the back pull it in one direction only, so if you want to face the TV a different way, you have to prop it.
- All the lamps are operated by switches on them - not wall switches. That's fine for the bedside lamps, but having to walk around the room and turn on each lamp (because the room was so dark) is annoying.
- Apparently someone ordered leafblowing chores to be done at 10:30 PM at night. What?
- Bed wasn't comfortable - had valleys where someone (many someones) else had slept eons before. Creaky and saggy.
- Yup, as other reviews say, no free wifi - shame on any hotel that can't figure that out - this isn't the year 2000.

All in all, it could have been worse, but it could have been a *lot* better. Given the pricing, and the "state" of the hotel, it could be a lot better and compete with the best in the city. As it is, it's a tier below. I'll definitely look elsewhere next time I'm in Greenville, just too much headache to deal with.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JB24003
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am pleased you felt the location to be fantastic and that you enjoyed the restaurant and felt the front desk to be courteous and helpful as well.
While we have many different styles of rooms with various configurations, I appreciate your observations of this one particular room. Typically we receive very positive comments however your observations will certainly enable us to focus on correcting the deficiencies mentioned in your posting. We take all reviews very seriously and we will use this helpful information to address the issues you found in this room. Thank you again for your candor, we look forward to serving you again.