“What a great weekend!!!”

Hyatt Regency Greenville
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“What a great weekend!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Greenville and was plesantly surprised at the quality of the hotel and the accomodations. I was told that they had recently renovated and was throughly impressed with what they had done with the hotel. The staff was excellent from the doorman to housekeeping it was very obvious that the GM runs a good ship because there was consistency in every department that I came in contact with. The overall feel of the hotel was wonderful and the restaurants were exceptional.
Would highly recommend this hotel and the location of the hotel right in the middle of the action of Greenville made it even more enjoyable.

Great Hotel.....

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite which is always preferable. We had some friends with us that stayed in a standa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for visiting the Hyatt Regency Greenville; and for your feedback. It appears you definitely enjoyed your visit! I am pleased you found the staff to be excellent and the restaurant exceptional. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Greenville, you will allow us to serve you again.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Greenville
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went for dinner and to see the renovations. In order to get to the lobby you have to walk through the wall of cigarette smoke. By the time you get through it you have smoked a pack. Lobby is very nice and the food was good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CAChilds
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you thought the lobby was very nice and the food was good. I am sorry you felt you had to walk through smoke to get into lobby. We do have a small area that smoking is allowed, however it really isn't that close to the main entrance at all. We will however monitor the area to ensure a smoke free entrance.
Thank you again for your candor, we do look forward to serving you again.
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Looking forward to experiencing the Hyatt after recent renovations, I attended a three-day conference there. I found most of the changes to be problematic rather than improvements. There is so much wasted space on the second floor where the restaurant used to be, where now there are couches and chairs and low coffee-table type tables, which were constantly empty. And to get on the list for a seat in the restaurant, one has to wind one's way through the dark, crowded restaurant to find the hostess. No sign points the way. We finally asked a waiter to direct us to the hostess, who was literally at a podium in the middle of the restaurant. No greeter or hostess at the front. The restaurant seating area overlooking the lobby was closed while we were there, which created a definite lack of available seating in the restaurant. Don't know if that's temporary of if it's a permanent thing. The lighting in the restaurant is incredibly low and mostly indirect, even at breakfast, which means you can't read the free newspaper that is available. Breakfast buffet was pricey and nothing special. The air conditioning unit in our room rattled and clicked noisily and interrupted sleep. The ATM was out of order and others told me it had been out of order all week. The vending machines were mostly empty. I've stayed in Hampton Inns that were better organized, better equipped and more beautifully appointed and maintained.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy all of our creative nooks that give our guests many options from which to relax, meet with others, or get a little business done in an environment other than in their guest room; we receive many rave reviews about this option. Roost, our new restaurant has huge signage as you enter from the hotel, directing our guests to the hostess podium; I am sorry you missed it as you entered the room. I am sorry you felt other hotels were better appointed then this newly renovated property that has garnered the attention of so many. I do appreciate your feedback however, and hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Greenville for a few days in late April 2013. My experience wasn't the best, but the hotel does have redeeming features. Other reviews for this property seem to vary wildly - which may indicate a lack of consistency between rooms, service experiences, and expectations. That means you may be rolling the dice when booking here.

Pros:
- As many have said, the location is fantastic - within walking distance to everywhere Greenville. It helps that Greenville is both small and a very walkable city, but the location is good nevertheless.
- The atrium is monstrous - one half of the building is consumed by it, and the ceiling is the full height of the building. There is a lot of seating, lots of conference rooms, bars, and a very nice restaurant located within the atrium with loads of room to spare.
- Front desk service was courteous and helpful - thanks!
- Room decor was modern, up-to-date, and the bathroom looked nice (although it wasn't quite functional due to the wide-swinging door).
- Complimentary toiletries and shower were great!

Cons:
- A higher-than-expected number of stains and damage were found. A stain on the recliner, milky stains on the wood of the chest of drawers, and also stains on the carpet. What appeared to be rust on the closet doors was unsightly as well.
- Very little sound insulation for the doors - there is a large gap at the bottom that *does not* help a thing.
- As the gap at the bottom of the door implies, there is a lot of light leakage in this room. The full door outline was brightly visible at night, and my room was situated near one of the glass walls of the atrium. This wall is lit up at night and their light-blocking curtains didn't fully cover the wall of windows. As anyone that hates light leakage will attest, it's either all or none. At the Hyatt Regency, good luck with getting a dark room.
- Amazingly, with all the light leakage, during the day, the room was very dim - I felt like I was in a steakhouse. Every single light was on, the room was dimly lit (see pictures).
- I had to prop the TV with a shoe because the huge tangle and weight of wires leading from the back pull it in one direction only, so if you want to face the TV a different way, you have to prop it.
- All the lamps are operated by switches on them - not wall switches. That's fine for the bedside lamps, but having to walk around the room and turn on each lamp (because the room was so dark) is annoying.
- Apparently someone ordered leafblowing chores to be done at 10:30 PM at night. What?
- Bed wasn't comfortable - had valleys where someone (many someones) else had slept eons before. Creaky and saggy.
- Yup, as other reviews say, no free wifi - shame on any hotel that can't figure that out - this isn't the year 2000.

All in all, it could have been worse, but it could have been a *lot* better. Given the pricing, and the "state" of the hotel, it could be a lot better and compete with the best in the city. As it is, it's a tier below. I'll definitely look elsewhere next time I'm in Greenville, just too much headache to deal with.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JB24003
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am pleased you felt the location to be fantastic and that you enjoyed the restaurant and felt the front desk to be courteous and helpful as well.
While we have many different styles of rooms with various configurations, I appreciate your observations of this one particular room. Typically we receive very positive comments however your observations will certainly enable us to focus on correcting the deficiencies mentioned in your posting. We take all reviews very seriously and we will use this helpful information to address the issues you found in this room. Thank you again for your candor, we look forward to serving you again.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Lobby was gorgeous. Location was awesome - we could just walk to downtown. Had to pay for wi-fi - really???? I think even Motel 6 offers free wifi these days. !! I just scanned to find a close free wifi. Bathroom door was very strange - 2 sliding doors that didn't close tight together - in other words anyone in the room could see in - not a problem unless you are there with friends or other family members- then very uncomfortable. The room we had was an a joining room (we didn't know the people in the other room) and the walls were very thin. These people were noisy all night and sounded like they were in our room. Bottle of water in room but if use you are charged $4!. $15 a day for valet parking but they brought the car very quick and it was nice not to have to park it ourselves. Pool was just opened but it is on 3rd floor outside with view of brick wall and noise from a factory or restaurant kitchen. Lots of lounge chairs. Sometimes the fancy name brand doesn't live up to expectations!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am pleased you thought the lobby was awesome and that we are located in a very convenient location. Charges for WIFI and in- room bottled water is very common in full service hotels. In fact, our fees are not only competitive but lower in some cases then other full service properties. With parking at a premium in a downtown location, valet parking is not only necessary but also serves a purpose to make you car parking and retrieval as convenient as possible. Again, these fees are very competitive here in downtown and if a guest does not want to valet park, they can self park in the city owned garage that is connected to the hotel for just $6.00 per day.
We appreciate you choosing the Hyatt Greenville and do look forward to your next visit.
Latham, New York
Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a beautiful hotel and perfectly located. The room, we had 877, had a beautiful of the city and was well laid out. The staff is friendly and efficient. Located right in the middle of restaurants and shops. We didn't use our car at all one day. Just walked and enjoyed the area. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you can get 877 take it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback during your last visit at the Hyatt Regency Greenville. I am pleased you thought the hotel was beautiful and well laid out. We are indeed located at the epicenter of all that downtown Greenville has to offer and I am glad you were able to take advantage of it.
Thank you again for your kind words, we look forward to your return.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

First off we stayed Thursday nite -Sunday morning for a conference, valet greeted us on Thursday and graciously greeted and wanted nothing more than to help, very respectful, A + for them and then that same generosity was at the front desk, very delighted. We asked for a mini fridge for our room because we had our 4 month old with us and needed to store milk, the first gentlemen said there would be additional charge but then was corrected by a co-worker that it would be free for babies. I wondered if he was new and didn't know the policies and how many ppl. He charged before us? Checked into a beautiful room and walked out to main where they had concerts every night we were there. FANTASTIC!! Came back still no fridge called front desk and had to wait til 11:30 that night with someone pounding on our door. Waking everyone and now we had a screaming baby. Loved being able to walk rite out of hotel to Main Street, because of hotel breakfast and food being more expensive. Tv's had only a few channels, news or sports, and USA network, nothing for kids. Overall was good expect for parking, those events they had, took up majority of spaces and parking attendants were very, i mean very disrespectful to hotel patrons, our hotel key was used as entry in a swipe machine, although it didnt work, attendant wouldn't let us pass unless we paid, we refused, and their attitude was very displeasing, I couldn't back up because of line cars behind me, so I paid, sought help at front desk, they reimbursed me and helped with new key. Next day pulled back into garage, same attendant, and the first thing she said was, "great, your back again". Now I am from Maryland and came to understand how friendly Southerners are from my wife being from Georgia. Apparently this lady was brought up wrong. I had verbal confrontations with her every nite we had to park. Understand though this has no reflection on hotel as this is a city worker. But as this garage is attached to the hotel and is were guest are supposed to park, I felt the hotel should be concerned. Last day we received a bill from hotel for parking for $36 for a garage that has a $6 charge for 24 hr parking. One car three nites, doesn't add up, we sought front desk help and as expected they delivered. Love the hotel, HATE the garage. Gave lady attendee a nice northerner gesture with my hand on way out. Won't stay again because of her!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank NickjD29
Gary C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Greenville, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased you felt the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful. I of course, am very upset that you had such a negative encounter with someone who works for the city. First please accept my apology for her behavior. We cannot allow an individual who doesn't even work at the hotel to impact our guest visits. You can be assured that I will take this up with those responsible for the garage. Please know that this is just not indicative of the folks that work in the garage. Most are very caring and helpful, however I am sorry you had this conflict. I would appreciate when you are next in Greenville that you allow me to regain your confidence and personally see to your parking arrangements. Your satisfaction is our priority.
Thank you again for your candor, we look forward to serving you again.