“Poor service and run down”

Crowne Plaza Greenville
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed October 18, 2007

The staff had a very poor attitude and was not responsive to fixing broken things. An almost threatening letter was left in the room to warn you to report problems. However, when I did report the problems-they were not fixed. This property is way below other Crowne Plaza properties I have stayed at. It is very dark, smells moldy and the A/C is very loud. I actually had to argue with a staff member to get coffee! They need new management at this location!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Greenville

Reviewed August 13, 2007

This place is just not it. There are so many nicer places in Greenville to stay.
I wasn't even greeted at the check in desk when I arrived. You have to walk half way accross the whole hotel to get to where the rooms are. The rooms are damp,humid, and the AC is extremely loud. The room smelled, and was very dated (weird wallpaper border, ugly pictures, etc.)
Everything is very dated and doesn't match. The lobby and I guess restaurant/main areas all have bright Xmas red, hunter green, and gold but then the room area is navy blue, light green, and white. Um, 1980 called, they want their color scheme back.
The food is okay, but the restaurant and the restrooms are nasty. There was a huge hole in the wall near the door in the restroom and pieces of tile missing through the restroom. Who takes care of this place? And I saw a roach exit the kitchen area...nice. Just what I like with my slop.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I needed a mini-vacation and I chose the Crowne Plaza because it has an indoor hot tub and pool, is close to the mall, and had a Starbucks counter. It was more expensive than I wanted to pay, but since they have a free shuttle to/from the airport, I figured it all evened out. Plus the parking is free.

The room was smaller than I thought it would be, but it was ultra quiet (despite the fact that they had a family event plus a conference going on) and the bed was very comfy. The staff was overly nice and kind, even the shuttle drivers. On Sunday, my boyfriend and I had lunch, which was only $10.95 and was a buffet filled with cornbread, greens, salmon, fried chicken, mac and cheese, salad, apple cobbler, sweet potatoes, and anything else you'd find at my grandmother's house on Thanksgiving. The food was awesome!!! I think my grandmother and some aunts were in the kitchen cooking that day :-)

The mall and movie theatre, even the zoo, is nearby. And we visited them all.

The only bad things were that the paint in the room was peeling and you can tell this is an older hotel. Also, the extending closet rod is annoying and the heater sounded like a blow dryer. Otherwise, it was a very lovely experience. I wish it was cheaper, but I chose the Crowne Plaza over the nearby Courtyard and some other hotels because I knew the overall experience would be better.

I suggest this hotel to anyone who wants a mature vacation experience away from home. Not that this is typical, but I didn't see one kid at the hotel the entire weekend. Regardless of the pool, this feels more like a business hotel, not a kid-friendly one.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2006

I agree with the previous reviewer....service is not what one would expect. I, too are a platinum priority club member. Arriving at 10:30 p.m., I was given a room on the first floor that was humid and dank--the air conditioning unit was turned to "warm." With the room temp around 84 and the humidity around 70 percent, I called the front desk and asked to be changed to another room. "I was told the room was sold out and the only thing left was a room with a double bed!" As a platinum member, I thought I could expect better---but at the Crowne Plaza chain, I have learned that if I expect poor service, a dirty room, a room without a chair, lights that are missing blubs, I won't be dissappointed. The room was so hot, I had to sleep with the top sheet only. Even in the tropics hotels aren't like this.

The next day, at the conclusion of my meeting, I asked for the shuttle to the airport. I was asked if I had reserved it? This was the first time I had ever been told that I had to reserve it. It was at the airport picking up a crew. It would be back soon. After a half hour wait, the hotel van failed to show, and I took a cab and paid $ 22 for the pleasure of staying at this very sorry, poorly managed hotel. I should have know better when there was no "Give US a 10 or tell us why" type of survey in the room. The Crowne Plaza, Greenville doesn't care about my business, they didn't care about the previous customer's business and I can gaurantee they won't care about your business. There are plenty of other hotels at equal or less cost and all of them will afford you service that you will never see at this place. I stay in hotels 200 plus nights a year. I won't be back here anytime soon!

Stayed: August 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Newberry, SC
Reviewed April 20, 2006

Our stay left us feeling cheated for the price. First we were not greated yet there were 4 people at the check-in desk and we had to speak first and then were told we would have to wait and after several minutes we told we could move on down and then were waited on., we were the only ones being checked in. The rooms were nice yet for the price more should have been included. There are no ref. or microwaves in the room and they have a bottle of water for you at the cost of $3.95 per bottle. The tub was slippery slid several times which was scary and there is no water pressure. There was a charge for local calls and things weren't explained to us. There are other hotels that are half the cost and have free local calls, micro-waves and ref. in room etc. We expected alot more for our money. When we told the manager our complaints she was kind enough to adjust our bill to half off and was told she would look into our concerns. We felt we didn't get what we paid for .

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2005

Our last night of travel and we were so tired. We stepped into the lobby which is absolute gorgeous and knew this place was going to be all right. Our room was so comfortable. This place goes out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The beds have soft mattress covers, big cozy comforters, and the biggest, softest bed pillows I have ever seen in a hotel. They provide complementary ear-plugs, eye pillows and scented oil to help you sleep. If you are a weary traveler, or just want to stay somewhere you can get a good night sleep, this is the place. Plus, the price is only $10 more a night than the Courtyard - Greenville down the street, and is 10 times nicer. The draw backs are, no late breakfast served and the shower is ultra low flow. It is still worth staying there.

2  Thank Kimi216
A TripAdvisor Member
Germantown, TN
Reviewed April 21, 2005

The hotel is below standards for a Crowne Plaza Hotel. They are remodeling the interior which is needed; however, they need to also retrain the staff on what service standards people expect to find in a Crowne Hotel property. Maybe it will improve, but there are other hotels available for this Platinum Priority Club Member.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business