“Good Indian Buffet”

Handi Indian Cuisine
Ranked #68 of 967 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I get on a vegetarian kick about one week a month and this is the 2nd place I go in Greenville after Pita House. This is in a nice little downtown location where you can meet a client or just have a quiet lunch. There are never more than ten people here for the lunch buffet, which I attribute to the unwillingness of Southerners to try something different. The buffet features vegetarian dishes as well as chicken offerings (should I rephrase that?), two types of rice and plenty of really groovy bread. You can try the chutneys if you wish, and they have a palate cleansing selection of salad if you so choose. Just don't eat a bunch of onion chutney and then have a business meeting.

The owners are very nice and always greet me like a long-lost son when I lunch there. There is plenty of parking on the side streets nearby, which allows you to walk the streets of our beautiful downtown on the way to Handi. Don't try to park on Main Street - you'd have better luck winning the lottery.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

A decent lunch buffet which was elevated by the inclusion of made to order dosa-a South Indian crepe like pancake made with ground lentils and filled with a potato filling. The price was a couple of dollars more than I usually pay at my home restaurant, but the location in the middle of downtown Greenville is prime and may warrant the increased cost.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Being new to Greenville my wife and I are trying as many restaurants as possible. This was our first try of a local Indian Cuisine Restaurant in the area and we were glad we did. Now it happened to be Father's Day and we went for lunch and only the Buffet was being offered. Now generally speaking we are not "Buffet" people, preferring to sample from a main menu but we decided to give it a try and we were not disappointed The selection and variety of offerings was large, everything very fresh. The serving trays were continually restocked. Having lived in London where Indian Cuisine is superb I feel as if I now a few things about good Indian food. Handi is all about quality food and service. This is a family run business and it shows just how much they care about their food preparation and their customers. I won't detail each dish as we sampled everything from the buffet except the meat dishes (which were a Chicken and a Goat dish), we prefer vegertarian Indian cuisine, as this is very typical of the culture. Overall it was a wonderful dining experience. Also the price was very, very reasonable for the quality of the food. The atomosphere was also very pleasing, warm and comfortable. Service was outstanding and very friendly. One word on spices or flavor... we found it to be well balanced. We can go either way, super spicy and hot or mellow. We found Handi to be somewhere in between. We will be back for sure.

1  Thank borninthebronx54
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I are regulars here for their lunch buffet, but tried their dinner last night. We ended up getting the dinner for two sampler. It was delicious. Our only complaint was they should give you some choices on what to put into the sampler. The positive over the buffet was you can order the food spicy. The buffet food usually has virtually no spice so is kind of bland. We ordered the dinner medium spicy and that was about perfect for us. The server was very helpful in directing us to the correct level of spicyness. The sampler was $35, so this was a great deal for a dinner for two.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I had the buffet for 12 dollars. The food was soupy, saucy, spicy, and hot with some chicken thrown in. Be careful of the bones in one of the entrees. The place has a cool, dark, brown, peaceful, quiet interior with understated artwork. The staff was friendly enough. The spoons are located at the buffet, not at the table. I advise using the small bowls and spoons at the buffet for the soupy, saucy type food. Handi is located in downtown Greenville. Their prices range in the mid level in the downtown area where prices are mid level to high depending on how fancy the restaurant is. I don't think I'm a big fan of Indian food, but it wasn't bad either.