“One of my favorite places to eat in Greenville”
Review of Saigon Fast Food

Saigon Fast Food
Ranked #469 of 967 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed March 19, 2014

From the exterior , it's not a place I would just walk in to try, especially with variety of restaurants in Greenville. I went there for the first time several years ago with a friend who said it was good. I've been hooked ever since. My favorite dish is the vermicelli rice with spring rolls and grilled shrimp. Their shrimp fresh rolls are delicious as well as their bubble tea. Reasonably priced. The staff is very nice; the owners are the chef and server. Definitely like to support local restaurants that serve delicious food. Some of the best authentic Vietnamese food I have ever tasted.

1  Thank LJay123

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I used to drive around aimlessly on my lunch breaks trying to find something new to try. I can't tell you how many times I drove past this Vietnamese restaurant on Pleasantburg, briefly thought about stopping there, and then decided to keep driving.

It just looks shabby on the outside. It's in a small strip mall that includes a smoke shop, and it just doesn't have the best location.

But, OH GOOD LORD HOW I WAS WRONG.

Some friends took me here recently. It's the best Pho ever, they said. The food is delicious, they said. The prices aren't bad, they said.

They were correct.

This little 'hole in the wall' joint had the single best Pho I've ever had.

It starts by checking out their menu - a 30+ page trapper-keeper-like booklet that lists all the dishes they have on offer, then includes pictures of each dish. If you don't have a little bit of advanced knowledge about Vietnamese food, you may run into trouble here. Don't be afraid to ask for help, though. The lady that runs the place will help you out if you need it!

Small note: This restaurant does NOT serve any alcohol. Just FYI.

Anyways, order the Pho. Pick your meat, though I recommend the thinly sliced beef. They'll bring out a huge bowl of the most delicious broth, crammed with noodles and beef. They will also bring you a plate of items to accompany the Pho, things like lime wedges, bamboo shoots, basil, etc. There will also be an array of sauces on the table. You use all of this to build up the flavors of the Pho the way you like it.

You can get a huge bowl of delicious Pho and a spring roll and get out of there without spending much more than $10.

DO NOT LET THE APPEARANCE SCARE YOU OFF. This is hands down some of the best food from ANY cuisine in Greenville.

1  Thank Erlend_Oye_Wanna_Be
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Our chef friend recommended this restaurant and we are thankful to have followed his lead! I haven't been to Vietnam (yet) but having eaten many a bowl of pho - this is as close as you can get. We took our friend, who is Vietnamese, and she said it was better than her mother's! The menu is ginormous and a little daunting but once you start looking it is organized with pictures. Anything you want is at your fingertips. We have tried many things but keep going back to the spring rolls, the pho and the beef combination (beef tripe and tendon). We have also gone in and asked for recommendations and they have made some good suggestions based on what is fresh and available. We usually take the food to go and don't eat in the restaurant. Amazing authentic gem that you should investigate!

1  Thank 185jennal
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Don't let the unassuming location and atmosphere deter you. This is a great place to eat.

The Fresh Spring Rolls, Crispy Fried Spring Rolls and Spicy Beef Soup are especially delicious. I also like the Roasted Red Pork Banh Mi. They get the light and crispy baguettes from a Vietnamese bakery in Atlanta. The pork portion and fillings can be a little on the light side, but at $3.95 for a 6-inch sandwich, I'm not complaining. The owner says they don't have enough demand for pate, so don't expect to find it as an option on the banh mi offerings.

The menu is HUGE. It's mainly all variations on a theme, but they have some very unusual offerings. They also have pictures of everything which can be helpful if you're not familiar with a dish.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have been to Vietnam and my mother is Vietnamese. This food is authentic to what they really eat. My favorites are the spring rolls with pork and shrimp (banh trang - not fried) dipped in peanut sauce. Fried is good too dipped in fish sauce (nước mầm). Rice noodles vermicelli with grilled pork (mì bún thịt nướng) is also my favorite. The steamed chicken dumpling wonton is good also. Ok, I think you get the point....I love it all!