“Outstanding Food”

Larkin's On The River
Reserve with OpenTable
Larkin's On The River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 907 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broad & Main
Description: Larkin's on the River is an award-winning restaurant serving premium cut steaks, fresh seafood, and fine wines. Every menu item is created with the freshest ingredients and served with a creative flair. Larkin's on the River at the Peace Center for the performing arts, is situated in the heart of downtown Greenville, along the banks of the Reedy River, in the old Gower Coach Factory. This is the only building remaining of the original eleven dating back to Civil War. With beautiful preserved exposed brick walls and open ceilings, the history of the building serves as the perfect backdrop to the modern and hip atmosphere Larkin's on the River offers. Serving Lunch Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2pm Brunch on Sunday 11 - 2pm Dinner Monday - Saturday 5 - 10pm Sunday 5 - 9pm
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Outstanding Food”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

During an overnight stay in Greenville, we searched Urban Spoon for dinner suggestions and chose Larkin's from among several selections. We were not disappointed. My selection was from the menu, the pork loin; my husband's was one of the nightly specials, a whitefish with a pistachio crust. Neither of us were disappointed. This was absolutely one of the best meals we have had, ever.

• Visited November 2013

“VERY VERY Disappointing”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The three of us arrived for a business meal. Two of us ordered the most expensive steak the restaurant had to offer while the other choose a special steak dish. Both of the expensive steaks were ordered medium rare, one Pittsburgh style. The steaks were returned three times to the kitchen. We felt bad for the waiter as he was very embarrassed. At this price level this restaurant should be avoided. We had been warned prior to our decision to come here that it was a hit or miss. Boy did it miss. There are too many other high end steak houses in Greenville which are consistant and good to take a chance on Larkins.

2 Thank ratchetdepot
Bruce W, General Manager at Larkin's On The River, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
A situation like yours is very disappointing to us because we hold ourselves to a very high standard. There are times when all restaurants make mistakes and in your situation, we obviously did. When we make a mistake, we try as a management team to fix the problem as simply and quickly as we can so as to try and create a better experience for the guest. This is what we tried to do with your situation and we are sorry if you felt our effort to fix our mistake fell short of your expectations.
Huntersville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant in Town”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Larkins on the River is our favorite place to eat in Greenville. Everytime we are in town for a weekend getaway we have dinner here. Amazing Steaks! Terrific Bar! Wonderful outdoor patio overlooking the river to eat. The Service is always top notch and the price is more than reasonable for whey you receive! This is a must do!

• Visited October 2013
Thanks so much! We look forward to your next trip to Larkin's!
Greenville, South Carolina
“An icon of Greenville Downtown”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

As much as I wanted to give Larkin's on the River "5" stars I could not. Maybe because of my previous experiences here the standard has been set high (this is the only reason it did not get "3" stars). Of all the restaurants I could bring friends to for their first experience of downtown Greenville cuisine I selected Larkin's. I love this restaurant to share with others... But on this occasion it was an exception. First the things I loved about our visit:

1. The chef shared one of his unique creations and it was delicious. It was a small puff pastry with an amazing filling that tantalized your taste buds.
2. The special appetizer platter of assorted fried fish was absolutely amazing and created and cooked to perfection.

Now for my concerns:
1. The she crab soup is always amazing and the taste as always was present. But whoever shelled the crab forgot to get rid of the shells... not a couple of pieces but a good two teaspoons worth out of my bowl (after a while I just was having fun figuring out which I had more of soup or shell lol).
2. All but one of us had wine and when we all had the same wine I figured he would naturally switch to a bottle and when he asked if we wanted another round he still charged by the glass (much more expensive). This might have been his inexperience (I would like to think so).
3. I got the bone in filet and normally it is amazing. Whoever butchered the fillet must have been practicing (first time, first one). Because of that it was cut so that it was several different thicknesses and therefore impossible to cook properly. Also it was a mess and the taste was not up to its normal standards.
4. One of the other members of our party had the bleu cheese encrusted fillet and it was well executed but the presentation was a plate with the steak and that was it... again unusual.
5. Last but not least my favorite dessert in the world is "Crème Brûlée" and I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert (if only in my own mind & stomach) The taste was awesome but the water had gotten in to the ramekin from the Bain Marie (hot water bath that insulates the delicate custard from the direct heat). So it was soupy... good tasting but not what you should expect.

There will definitely be a next time but it was a bad night and kind of disappointing when bringing out of town company. And like I said knowing what "Normal" is at Larkin's :)

1 Thank buzzsc
Thank you for being a fan of the restaurant and for taking the time to point out your likes and dislikes about your last visit. Receiving feedback is a great way to make sure we are aware of issues so that we can always be moving forward toward our goal of being the best restaurant in Greenville.
“Amazing Restaurant!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had tickets to a show at The Peace Center and decided to give Larkin's a shot. The service, atmosphere, location and quality of food takes a back seat to no restaurant in the city of Greenville. This is the type of place you don't mind spending a little extra for dinner - it is simply a wonderful dining experience. Chophouse 47 was our favorite place to eat in Greenville; it has now been replaced with Larkin's.
Do yourself a favor and try it one time - you too, will become a fan!

We love that fact that we have earned the spot as your number one restaurant in Greenville! Thank you for all the kind words.