“Poor quality food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We went on the early bird special. Had to wait a little while but it was Saturday night so it was expected. The waiter and the cook was pleasant and personable. The food was disappointing and of low quality. The soup was weak tasting, the salad dressing tasted like watered down mayonnaise (was not offered ginger dressing). The steak was chewy. Obviously a poor cut. I had looked the menu over pretty good before ordering so it was a big surprise to me when we got the bill and was charged an extra $2.45 each for our fried rice. We were never offered another option and it was not explained that it would be extra. Any other Japanese restaurant has the rice included. We will not be back.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My daughter likes this place. We went for her birthday and she chose it. The rest of the family likes it. I just find the food too salty.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Kanpai is one of my usuals, I go several times a month. Make sure to go during Happy Hour, many of the sushi rolls are only $2.50. Two people can easily get out for around $10. The service used to be better, our favorite waiter left about a year ago and the service has gone down hill ever since. I LOVE this place!

1  Thank basbana
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We go here on special occasions usually. Staff is great when kids throw temper tantrums (i know from experience) We always go for early bird supper. It isn't crowded, it is a good 'show' put on by the cook. There is so much food left over, we have many many meals afterwards (and it tastes just as good re-heated)

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Kanpai is typical of the nicer Japanese steakhouse restaurants. In this format, patrons sit around a large hibachi grill where your personal chef cooks for you in a highly entertaining fashion. Think flashing knives, twirling eggs, and flying salt shakers. Our personal chef was excellent, but unfortunately the rest of the service was annoyingly slow. Slow drinks, slow soup, slow salads. I have been to many of this style Japanese restaurant, and Kanpai was pricey by comparison. It looks like it was once quite elegant but has gotten dingy over time. For example, the appropriately dim lighting couldn't hide the dirty smudges on the light switch covers. Food was excellent and it was very well prepared. One curious note: Nearly everyone chooses fried rice, but that costs $2 extra. Maybe the extra charge is for the HUGE amount of fried rice presented. If you choose the "standard" steamed rice, that has to be brought to you specially! All in all, I enjoyed my visit to Kanpai, but I probably won't be back.