“Terrible”

Cuisines: Seafood
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The oysters were very small, the ribeye steaks were very thin, about 1/2" thick and the server brought out our food and left for over 5 minutes before we could get her attention to bring us silverware and napkins. There was a table next to us they were very loud with 4 kids that were running around the dining room and watching a video on a device that was so loud, we couldn't hear ourselves talk and the wait staff seemed like that was no big deal when we brought it to her attention. Our tab was $125.00 for dinner with only 3 adults in our party and a single glass of wine served and one dessert split the ways. Everyone drank water with the meal. Very expensive for very mediocre food, poor service and terrible atmosphere.

1 Thank KayfromPiedmont

Ojai, California
“Love this Place Everytime”
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

My family goes here often for the burgers, beer, generous drinks and more. I love this place. It's a Greenville institution. Yes, it's a bit of a dive bar, and no, the food isn't standard gourmet. But I've eaten some of the best steak here I've ever had. And the fries (both sweet potato and regular) are scrumptious. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Advance, North Carolina
“Great place”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Often visit the Block house when we are in town. Great food, wine and service. Highly recommend the fried oysters and fruit bowl. Prices were reasonable also.

Fletcher, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We Had High Hopes”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When my husband and I reviewed the ratings and the menu for the Blockhouse Restaurant we had very high hopes. Both of us were expecting gourmet food, which would have been commensurate with their prices. I can say that the oysters on the half shell were good, and our server was very friendly and accommodating. The rest of the food that we ordered from the menu, left us very disappointed. The taste and quality of the food seemed to mimic cafeteria food at best. I don't know if the management has changed from the time the Blockhouse initially opened,but the menu makes one expect far more than what they will receive. I guess a good warning sign was that there were far more people in the bar, than in the restaurant. I really hope things improve there. :-(

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank 4ennyone
Greenville, SC
“The Greenville place "where everybody knows your name!"”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

As a native Greenvillian, I well remember the Blockhouse from my youth, when it was known as the Pantry. (Back then, the Pantry served "beer" and it was considered to be a slightly seedy place!) Now it is THE place to go, and it has a well deserved reputation for good food, an extensive menu where everybody can find something to tickle their pallet and a well known, popular bar where locals rub elbows with visitors every night.

In relocating back (a mere ten miles) to the Augusta Road area some years back, my wife said she wanted to "go out for dinner" on Friday nights. And, early on, we ended up ... thankfully ... at the Blockhouse, and we have been going there at least once a week for more than ten years.

It isn't the ambiance that draws us, and countless other folks from near and far, to this place. It is the good food, well prepared and served by a cadre of curvaceous waitresses who quickly learn what the regulars order, both liquid libations and mouthwatering menu selections.

Prices are not only within reason, but there are nightly specials as well as some house specialties, such as the delicious Seafood Gumbo and their signature sandwiches.

(As an aside, the wait staff are not only lovely to look at, but each of these gals is each smart as a whip, too! Once, when one in our dinner party suffered some medical distress, our regular waitress immediately called EMS, and two other waitresses ... both are registered nurses ... quickly offered their assistance. While nobody ever wants to experience a medical problem, at least having one occur while at the Blockhouse is almost as good as having it happen at the hospital!)

Would I recommend the Blockhouse to others? You bet! I have and will continue to tell folks from all over about, "The Greenville place 'where everybody knows your name!'"

• Visited April 2012