“Found a dead mouse in the bathroom”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #393 of 941 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Our visit was on July 3rd 2014. I am a huge Melting Pot fan. I usually go to the one in Fredericksburg Va. But I was visiting family and wanted to treat them to a wonderful night out. But I left feeling like it was anything but. First, when walking in we did not have reservations, however it was 5 pm on Thursday night. The girl at the front seemed very put out that we didn't have reservations. With that said there wasn't but a small handful of people in the restaurant. She took us to our seats ( this seemed to be an older restaurant, and one not really kept up.) We were seated at a table with chairs, you were back to back with other tables it was like sitting in an buffet style restaurant. We quickly asked if we could be seated in the other room that had booths. The young lady rolled her eyes and grabbed the menu's out of our hands. But then proceeded to seat us elsewhere.

The waitress was nice, but it felt like we were being rushed through the meal. She would bring the next stage of our 4 course meal before we were even half way through the last one, when asking her for something she never responded. However she did bring it. The food was as good as any other Melting Pot, But when we got to the Chocolate portion we order extra, but when it came out we didn't even have enough for the dippers brought out. The restaurant itself is in need of help. The tables are old and worn out, there really is no ambiance, especially if you are seated in the room with the table and chairs.

My sister needed to go to the restroom, when she came out she had a strange look on her face. When asking her about it, it turns out she found a dead mouse in the bathroom. She told the bartender about it. Near the end of our dinner the manager stopped by our booth when asked how our dinner was I stated that we didn't have enough chocolate for what we had ordered, he just laughed. So I then asked him if he at least got the dead mouse out of the bathroom?. His response was appalling. He was flippant, laughed and said yeah, that they had a guy that came once a month, but guessed he was going to have to call him. YOU THINK? He then saw that we were ready to pay and said, oh here let me take that for you. Like he was doing us a big favor.

I will Never go back here!! Nor will my family who lives there and usually has their office party there.

3  Thank Snowybears

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I made reservations on July 2, 2014 to celebrate my sisters 26th birthday with 4 of our friends for 7:45pm. From the second we sat down our waitress made it clear to inform us that she "was not all there and was not on point" perhaps that excuse will work in some settings but at a restaurant like this it certainly doesn't. She rushed us every single meal, asking us if we were done, could she clear the plates, and if we wanted anything else to dip in our cheese/chocolates? what she never asked or did was bring refills check on quality of food or even ask us to open our second bottle of white wine she conveniently brought over to our table to let warm up throughout dinner (yes she left our second bottle of wine UNOPENED on the table) unfortunately the dinner was a TERRIBLE experience if not for the food we cooked ourselves I would rate this place a 1...my sisters birthday dinner felt more like a problem to this restaurant than a place willing to accommodate all experiences. next time we will not go back to such an atmosphere when countless other restaurants are willing to make you feel fantastic on your special occasions.

1  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I, along with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law shared our anniversary dinner here together because we heard so many good things about it. The food is average. The experience is unique and different. The price is overpriced. We did the full course...appetizer cheese, meal that we cooked ourselves that lacked seasoning, and dessert. I will if we did go back, we would only order the appetizer or dessert. They were very good. The meal was nothing extraordinary, I could've cooked at home better and when I go out to eat, I especially for what we paid, I expect the food to be something that I can cook easily. For the price we paid, we could've went to Rioz Brazilian Grill in Myrtle Beach, SC and got all you can eat top quality meats, salad bar, sushi, fresh cheeses, pasta salads, etc that is well worth the price.

1  Thank BQsc
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. We try to go once a year or so and, as usual, our meal was amazing. You really can't get better food. We have tasted most everything there, and it is all fantastic. The atmosphere feels private and secluded, which is a nice change in a restaurant. To us, it feels like being on vacation when we eat there. Our waiter was very nice and friendly. We stuffed ourselves past full, but we wouldn't have it any other way. I can count on one hand the restaurants where i have had comparable deliciousness. it is pretty expensive, but its worth it for special occasions. We love The Melting Pot.

2  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I went there recently for my wifes birthday. We haven't been on a 'date' in more than a year since we moved to Greenville. I moved here for work and since we are new we haven't found or looked for a babysitter for our daughter. We flew my sister into town so we can get a day away and maybe have a day mostly to ourselves. Before going to Asheville, we decided to take my sister out to dinner.

We made reservations and were seated a little early. The server blasted through the menu and was very unclear on how the ordering steps were made. We had been to The Melting Pot in Cleveland, Ohio area a number of times and enjoyed our trips (regardless of being overpriced).

My daughter is nearly two years old, and a well behaved child. We are also very conscientious about her tone and attitude. Not only for her well being and learning, but also for fellow patrons. After our appetizer of subpar cheese, bread, apples and veggies the manager came to our table saying he had complaints of our daughter. I was taken a back...surprised...speechless. If my daughter made one squeal of excitement I would have been shocked.

I proceeded to offer my wife and sister the chance to continue their meal so I picked up my daughter and took her into the lobby to sit and wait for them to finish. She sat quietly in my lap watching a movie on the Netflix app on my phone. I told the greater to share with our waiter to cancel my pork order- I would not be eating. Another manager came out saying really loud "FORKS, someone wants a FORK!" I calmly shared with him to cancel my order.

A few minutes later my wife and sister walked out. My wife felt sick to her stomach that we were treated this way. Treated like a lesser qualified citizen because we had a child. She lost her appetite. We didn't eat the remainder of the night. No one was hungry anymore. We were in other words "not accepted" "take your kid somewhere else" "you with kids drink from another water fountain"!

I've waited a few days before writing based on my belief that I shouldn't allow emotions to dictate my writing style. Not to make it personal. Be practical and think of yourself as the business owner. After a weekend of thinking....I can't believe I was treated in such a way. I'm 38 years old, I have traveled the world, eaten at 1000's of places, and I have spent from $2-$200 for dinner.

For the first time in my life I feel sick about the way I've been treated at a restaurant. I will be sharing this story as much as possible. How can my daughter be welcomed and 'over appreciated' at a high end restaurant like High Cotton and then our family treated in such a way at a chain restaurant of all places?!

4  Thank Donnertal